Shoes after 6 weeks post bunion surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi all! I'll be back to see my surgeon in three weeks - that would be 6 weeks post op for follow-up and x-ray. He said that by then I will stop wearing the surgical boot and start wearing tennis shoes. My queston for you guys who had the same experience....Did you have to wear the tennis shoes all day? Or can you start walking without shoes (maybe with socks or slippers) if you are just around the house? Am asking because I work out of my home.

Also, how soon did you have to start PT on your big toe? Did you have to wear a toe spacer to aid in straightening the toe? If so, how soon after surgery? Thank you!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It depends on what kind of procedure they did and the protocols of your doctor. I had a lapidus procedure done back in March 10th. I'm still in a surgical shoe because my foot cannot fit in a regular shoe without sharp pains of trying to fit it in or when walking in them if I'm able to get it in. As for walking without shoes, I suppose you could. For me, it's more really uncomfortable than painful because when I wear the surgical shoe, it provides some cushion when I walk on it.

As soon as your doc says it's okay to start moving your big toe, do it. At about 6 weeks, my doc gave me the go ahead and it hurts a bit at first and can be concerning when you first start because you notice it doesn't move up or down much but keep at it and your mobility will increase. I focused on the upward motion than downward so while I have good upward motion, my toe barely goes down. I don't know any practical use for it to bend down anyway so I'm not too concerned. My doc had me wear a toe spacer to keep the toe from moving back to how it used to be but now he said I don't have to wear it.

• Posted

I woke up from surgery with it on haha. I just had a postop appointment yesterday and my doc said I don't need it anymore because the bones have set enough that it won't drift inward now.

• Posted

I went from the surgical boot to a surgical shoe and then into tennis shoes -- extra extra wide ones lol!  If you are anything like me, you will not WANT to walk barefoot or wear socks or non-supported slippers around the house.  I'm 8 months post-op on one foot and 5 months post-op on the other and I STILL don't want to walk barefoot.  It just feels better to have the arch support and the cushioning.  I had a lapidus procedure and metatarsal shortening of the 2nd & 3rd toes so I was non-weight-bearing for 6 weeks, then partial-weight-bearing for 3 more weeks.  I started PT after that 9-10 week period when I could be full-weight-bearing and wear tennis shoes.  Yes, I was told to wear a toe spacer once the sutures, staples & pins were out (a month or so post op) and I was told I could be partial-weight-bearing.  I was told I could stop wearing it when I was allowed to be full weight bearing.  

• Posted

How long did it take for the swelling to go down. I had surgery April 27 over 2 months ago. I am having issues will swelling.
    • Posted

Hi Yolanda,

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you had -- I had lapidus & metatarsal shortening on both feet.  One foot was operated on 8 months ago and the other one 5 months ago.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but both of my feet are still really swollen.  If I wear compression socks and/or sneakers, it doesn't get TOO bad, but if I wear sandals, it gets a lot worse (nothing to provide compression I guess lol).  I was told the swelling could last up to a year.  If your surgery was just 2 months ago, I'm not at all surprised that you still have swelling!

• Posted

I heard it could be up to a year. My doctor gave me the compression sock and ace bandage and to continue to ice an elevate. Said maybe by 4 months should go away thanks
  • Posted

Hi Cynthia,  I am 7 weeks post op, I had to both Bunionectomy, Tailor's & hammertoes repaired on both feet at the same time.  My right foot is out of the boot but my left tailor's repair is taking a little longer (2 more weeks in the boot).  I can wear a slipper and I bought (2x extra wide) shoes. I also have been wearing spacer to aid straightening since week 2.  It is getting better everyday, it just takes time.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Thanks Beth. I sent you a private message re: product info deleted.
  • Posted

I'm 9 weeks post op, both feet.

I've been walking around the house barefoot or in knitted socks quite a bit each day for a few weeks. It's uncomfortable on hard floors or tiles, but just fine on soft carpets & rugs. Helps me to reconnect with my feet, because I was barefoot a lot pre-surgery.

I started wearing spacers after my bandages were removed at 6 weeks. The surgeon said my right toe healed slightly inwards because of the way it was bandaged & to use spacers while they're vulnerable to new movement.

PT started a few days after bandages were removed. It was gentle toe stretches that I was to do myself. Then it was the physio rubbing vigorously on my muscles to loosen them up (feels great afterwards, but painful at the time)

I only very recently bought a pair of N B runners, they are supportive but cushioned on top. I can wear them for a good couple of hours before I need to give my feet room to breathe & stretch. I could've gone half a size bigger to allow for swelling, which I think then I'd be able to wear them longer, but my heel was slipping - taking away proper support.

All the best with your recovery Cynthia, keep elevated with the rest of us! ??

• Posted

Do you have swelling just being on your feet? Im also at 9 weeks since surgery. I put my nb tennis which are 2x wide. UseD before surgery. Felt go for several hours. But when I took my tennis off my foot was so swellen haven't put them back on. I've been wearing slip on sandles.

• Posted

I read somewhere about Bernie Mev. Can I wear it at 6 weeks post-op? I'm out of the surgical boot just today. Yay!

• Posted

Hi,

I had the bunionectomy for hammertoe on my right foot December 16,2017. Today is week 8. I'm no longer in the boot (except after a long day at work) I wear asic sneakers because they are so light and have cushions to protect foot. He sneakers actually aid with the swelling because I continued to have swelling up until the 6th week. I still have some swelling around the ankle and pain as well. I used the knee walker from day one. I just couldn't hold my body up on the crutches because of back issues too.

I tried putting flats (shoes) on and couldn't stand it. It seemed to squish my foot. I'm 42 years old and have wanted this surgery for most of my life. I just didn't think it would take this long to heal. The bone is almost healed and the screw will stay in my foot. I was back to work by week 4. I have a desk job. My questions are; when will we wear normal shoes and I'm still having pain. Do any of you still have pain and swelling after 8 weeks?? I'm aiming to have the left foot done in December so I can take a month off of work to heal. I will tell you this, that was the most painful surgery I've ever had. I was not prepared mentally for this surgery. My doctor told me I'd be ok within a few weeks...NOT!!

• Posted

Hey Shelly06373 - 

I had my surgery (one foot bunionectomy) right foot on September 26th and no one really "prepared me" for how long the healing actually takes.  I have had pain since the surgery - swelling - etc. but remember everyone heals differently - I can't affort the PT b/c my copay is 70.00 each time I walk in the door. I have not heard a ton of positive outcomes with this surgery and am worried (not trying to scare you).  I can't feel my first three toes at all - I had a pin in the second and a screw that will stay in the first.  I still wear the spacer b/c the first toe is already moving on back over. Second toe is completely numb feels strange.  Just know mentally you are in for a long road but it will get better.  

- 1litttlebird

• Posted

Hi 1littlebird

I also had a bunionectomy on my right foot Feb 7. I am 7 weeks post op still using a knee scooter, still have some swelling and still have pain although the pain is greatly decreasing.. I had a pretty large bunion and i see Dr, at 8 weeks and hoping to start PT. I have a screw and a guide wire holding bones from moving back. This recovery is definitely not at all what they tell you it will be!! I agree everyone is different and depends on the foot and the issues you have.. I agree totally that it is a long road mentally and physically. I hope things are better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.