Shooting pain attacks in right groin area - female

Posted , 52 users are following.

About me: 43 years old (44 soon)

Weight: 9 stones

Height: 5'4"

Births: 3 children (now in late teens) by caesarean sections

Hobbies: avid weightlifter for about 5 years but given up about 1.5 years ago

Daily exercise: dog walk for about 15 minutes

Problem: About 10 years ago I had, what I call my first attack. I was sat down on the grass in the park and got myself up first on my bent right leg to push the rest of my weight up on that leg. Suddenly, I lost my footing as the shooting pain my groin area was so severe I could have passed out. I was in absolute agony and had to keep completely motionless on the ground for what seemed like an eternity. Laying on my back, after about 5 minutes, I slowly tried to rock my leg in towards me and out away from me. When I dropped my leg away from me, I felt relief although after each attack the residual dull ache was present for about a day. Once I managed to get up on my feet, I found weight bearing on my right leg to be painful, to the point of having to limp for a while. After a while, the pain would go and I would then be able to walk normally. I didn't get this pain again for a good few years and recently, about 3 years ago, it started again. I went to my GP who sent me for an X ray which showed no abnormality. He then referred me physio and they couldn't detect anything either. The Physiotherapist felt that if I wore a hip brace (pull my hips tightly together) that may help. However, there was no hip brace available for a UK size 10. Recently, in the past few months, I get these attacks each time I am not "careful". By careful I mean, I can never put my weight on my right leg to support the rest of me, I can't swing my right leg too high for instance while crossing over a high gate on my dog walks, when I get out of my car, I have to swing both legs round and out of the car touching the ground and then lifting myself up on both feet (like old people do when they get out of cars). I am absolutely fed up with my condition. I worry about exercising, about gardening, about some type of work at my employers' as I had an attack that lasted 15 minutes only about a month ago. My life is miserable and my passion and hobby of weightlifting and exercise is on the backburner. I have no get up and go anymore to exercise when in the recent past I used to exercise almost daily and looking forward to it. What could be wrong? I have been reading up on femoral hernias but I am not quite sure if that is what I have. I have no lumps in my groin but I do have a lump in my left armpit (which I have had for about 6 months now) which has been investigated by bloods through my GP and haeamtologists who have both felt it was nothing to worry about. Any advice would be highly valued.

Thanks.

6 likes, 102 replies

Report / Delete

102 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just wondered if you have been investigated for degeneration of the

symphasis pubis. That can cause pain in the groin area and bring you to a standstill. However I would have thought that that would show up on an X ray.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I have had an X ray which showed no abnormality. I presume they looked at that area you have mentioned.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I once had quite excrutiating pain in that same area, and it turned out to be a problem with my ovary enlarging. It was worse around "that time of the month". Ended up having a hysterectomy to cure the problem, but still kept the ovary.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, I have a femoral hernia and after reading your story it sounds like thats exactly what it is. It is generally caused by over doing it with weights of some kind, either through work or leisure, plus three CS, again can weaken the area. You can just start with a weakening of the abdomen wall which can cause problems, then you can get a hole then you can get a larger hole with your abdomen coming out, by that time you will be diagnosed. The fact you cant lift your leg up is one of the tests a hernia consultant would do. I am having a nightmare getting mine diagnosed as there is no lump. Also you mention CS again that can cause a weakness. I have spent a lot of time researching femoral hernias as I need to know more than the consultant I am going to to put my case forward. I have been diagnosed with possible kidney stones, gall stones, appendix, been asked to go to gynea, physio - all because they cant diagnose the symptoms in a woman, there are only a small percentage of women who get them even though they have been around since Eve. How are you getting on, what examinations have you had.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks to all the above posts and I am truly grateful for the info you have given me as I now have more info to give to my clinicians.

Since my post, I have been back to my GP who has referred me to the physiotherapists, despite me asking for another form of referral, to investigate this as I didn't feel the physios did anything for me the first time round (about 3 years ago). My GP however informed me that their referral protocol for such conditions was first through to a "triage" through the physiotherapists so that would be my only option. If the physio team felt that my condition was more of an orthopaedic one, then they would in turn make the internal referral. That was 3 weeks ago and I awaiting my first appointment with the physiotherapists.

As for the lump in my armpit, my doctor has asked me get more bloods done and also referred me for an ultrasound for which I am awaiting an appointment too.

What is the treatment for a femoral hernia?

Thanks.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, if you look under "femoral hernia" on this site you will find out more information. If your physio has experience in hernias they may well pick up the signs, otherwise they wont. If you dont have an obvious bulge, then your intestines can pop out (which may be causing the sudden pain) then pop back in again, literally within seconds so it is difficult to diagnose by US, MRI, CT unless you are doing exactly what causes it. When the intestines pop out you would be in considerable pain because we are tightly packed and our female bits are very close.If you read other peoples experiences on websites like "herniabible" you will find that not all operations go well. Herniabible was set up to provide people with alternatives to operations, exercises, diets but also helpful discussion on the different methods used by surgeons. Its a minefield, tension mesh, non tension mesh etc etc. The operation itself is, I think, only 45 minutes, out the same day. But from what I have read, dont get a trainee doctor, make sure you know the complications associated with the operation and then how to look after yourself properly once you've had the operation. I think after reading the reply I had on the "femoral hernia" discussion I may ask for stitches. If I have a small hole then maybe I could try that first. What I have read is that if the mesh is causing problems then it is difficult to replace. The operation itself I believe is quite routine but my consultant has only operated on obese or older women who certainly arent going to be suddenly active so I wonder how good his surgery would be if they did decide to run the marathon 3 months after the operation.You may not have a hernia but as it is so easily misdiagnosed with everything else it is worth checking it out online but put in "hernia in sportswomen" the symptoms are related more to active younger women. Then you will get other symptoms that the run of the mill websites dont tell you ie "altered periods". Good luck, keep the forum uptodate as it does help other people in the same situation. Even if it turns out to be something else it is all good to know.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Quite a good article in - The New York Times called In "Women, Hernias May Be Hidden Agony". It seems this woman had four operations before diagnosis! What a nightmare.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you soooo much! That article from the New York Times is an eye opener. I will print this to take with me to the consultation. Although I will have the ultrasound, I will ask for an MRI if nothing is seen in the ultrasound.

Will definitely keep this thread going as I progress to finding an answer to what is causing this.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am afraid it isnt as easy as that. There is another article I saw which if I find I will post the info. Surgeons will not operate (nowadays, maybe for good reason though) unless they are absolutely sure you have the correct diagnosis. I am afraid with a hernia which can be a bulge and a hole, without the intestine coming through continually it requires a lot of experience and skill to find it. It requires the surgeon/consultant to understand your symptoms. Because so many men get Hernias their symptoms are generally similar, but with women the symptoms can differ. I have noticed my periods have become more painful but when I mentioned this to the consultant he looked at me as if I had gone mad. Previously for 37 years I had never had any problems - that still didnt enlighten him. You can say until your blue in the face that you have a hernia but the surgeon is very unlikely to operate unless he has felt it (you dont have a constant bulge), seen it on an US, CT or MRI, again a CT or MRI is likely NOT to show it as it pops in and out - in your case - not unusual.An Ultrasound is likely to show it, but only if you have a very experienced radiologist who knows about hernias, knows they dont pop out all the time, knows where to find it and uses his "mouse" (dont know what else to call it) to its full capacity. I know this because I have had three ultrasounds, 2 NHS, found nothing, they skimmed the top of my stomach and were expecting a bulge, they didnt have he faintest idea that you dont always get a bulge (intestines popping through), I have no bulge, mine came out gave me a lot of pain and then went back in where it has stayed - for the moment.My private US Radiologist did find it but he put the "mouse" very deeply into my abdomen and practically had it on its side - he really knew what he was doing but I think from what I read on his CV he had been practising for 30 years. Also I told him what I had and I challenged him to find it. The NHS technicians on the other hand didnt have a clue how to find the hernia, I am being unfair but if you just skim on the top of the stomach you wont find it, hernias are quite deep, otherwise you would be able to pinpoint the pain exactly. I had an MRI because my consultant wanted me to have it, I had to pay for it.I relented in the end as I wanted a diagnosis, I had read that it was unlikely to show my hernia, the MRI showed a cyst on my ovaries which I believe is right next to where my femoral canal is (bulge and hole) and as I have an open wound (femoral hernia) is likely to cause a few problems in that area, my MRI didnt show my hernia. So dont think an MRI will show it, the chances are it wont. There is a special technique that hernia consultants use (my consultant didnt he just felt for lumps, I cough etc) that I have read on this website, a leaflet on how to diagnose hernias which in some way might send you into agony but locates the site where the pain is. Palatable examination (cant remember exact words). Again it would be a very experienced consultant who would know how to do it. Also you do need to do your research and make sure that you do think you have a femoral hernia. If you get the pain when weight lifting you need to use the weights to find out where the pain is coming from, maybe lift weights when seeing the physio, show the physio where the pain is coming from. Its trying to think out of the box and get yourself diagnosed. Again if having an ultrasound maybe you could lift weights at the same time. I know this sounds like madness but the lady I met at my first US scan had to wait two years for a diagnosis. She refused to go to physio, as her doctor had asked, because she was a gymnast and she knew what groin strain was. She in the end did something that brought the intestines out long enough for the US person to see them. He was beside himself because he had never seen two at the same time. The other thing to do is look at the Herniabible and try the exercises they recommend, they seem to say it will help. To be honest I havent bothered. I am furious that the doctors arent picking up femoral hernias but be warned you may be fobbed off to all different departments first, they just dont know enough. Good luck and if I find that other post I will put info on. Remember I am not a doctor, just bear in mind what I say.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I sent the above article to my consultant, he replied (I remember now) that it was rather out of date - hmmm

I then found this one, which is much more detailed but explains what I have said much better,

"His and Hers Hernias: Pelvic pain culprit tough to diagnose in women"

the above article was written 9/6/11 by Huffington Post.

Please keep in touch and let us/me know how you get on even if its just a moan.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just been thinking.............

If you went to your GP and you were a man and said that you had

Pain in groin area

Then dull ache

Cant swing leg as high as normal

Immense pain when weight lifting - unable to continue

Nothing in blood (its not a disease it is a rupture, like a fracture)

Your GP would immediately say "sounds like a hernia"

Dont give up gardening, I am an avid gardener and do everything, and I keep going, I feel tired quickly which I believe is my body compensating for the infection/open wound but I still keep going. You wont keep me down. Even if it eventually strangulates which they say is common - who knows, certainly not the doctors - then you would know about it and go to A&E. Just make sure you get a highly experienced surgeon. (I would jump off the operating table if a trainee was rubbing his hands with glee) I do pick up heavy items still but I am careful how I do it, use other muscles, bend at the legs, let the thighs take the strain - the gardens got to look good! It hasnt caused me pain yet but like you I am careful. You do need to keep fit, so dont hold back, just stop if it causes you pain or your leg plays up. I go to Zumba and other dance classes which causes me no problems.My GP is on the same page as me, she diagnosed me.

As for your lump in the armpit, I have never heard of a link but I am sure you realise that.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello again!

It has taken me a long time to get seen by the OT 2 weeks ago. She was a young woman but certainly knew how to find a diagnosis after various balance tests, direct questioning, types of positions that bring on the "attack", if turning in bed brings it on etc, which she then diagnosed supported by an X ray image of the pelvic area I had years ago.

In a few words:

The OT doesn't believe I have a hernia although she has said it is hard to find a hernia that does not obviously protrude.

The OT believes I have Femora Acetabula Impingement - my X ray image shows that the top bone of my pelvis protrudes more on my right and so when the leg bone scrapes against this, it causes impingement which leads to the severe/debilitating pain attacks in the area rendering me momentarily incapacited.

The OT has since written to my GP advising an MRI scan of the pelvic area to determine any cartilage damage (I have not yet heard from my GP about this proposed MRI scan referral).

When I asked the OT about treatment options, she informed me that this is a lottery postcode and that unfortunately where I live in Derbyshire, treatment for this is not available on the NHS.

Apparently treatment options consist of either shaving a few mm off this protruding bone or repairing damage to cartilage (an MRI will determine damage of cartilage, if any).

I asked the OT if this protrusion has been caused by injury but she said this is something I have always had. This now begs the question whether I have caused injury to the area at some point in my life to create the "problem".

I have not had this problem my entire life so I am wondering if my gait is exacerbating this condition.

I have not had a severe "attack" for a while now, which I put down to me being careful how I move.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Update on the lump in my left armpit:

About 4 weeks ago, I have been seen by the ultrasonographer Consultant who did a thorough ultrasound of my neck, shoulders and armpits and assured me the lump looked absolutely harmless.

He advised if it changes in future and I was worried, to go back to my GP but as far as he was concerned I had nothing to worry about.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, glad you are keeping us informed. What is an OT?

I dont have problems while sleeping, which you have.

Femoral hernias are very difficult to find as I am finding out. My 3rd private consultant has sent me for an MRI on my lower back, discovered a prolapsed disc and suggests that my problems might all be caused by this. He will do an exploratory if this Orthopeadic Surgeon doesnt think the numbness in my thigh is linked to my prolapsed disc. I have never had back pain and I lift very heavy items, so was completely unaware of this prolapsed disc, it is mild mind you.

Did you have these pains in your leg and groin when you had this first xray that shows an earlier problem?

When and if they operate will it be in the same area as a femoral hernia, if so it would hopefully rule that out anyway?

If you are managing to cope with your problems and keep the pain at bay by moving carefully would you still want an operation, especially one where they are going to take bone off?

Unfortunately I am suffering bladder infections and constipation as well as a constant stinging in my groin area but I completely overdo it, I still use heavy machinery to garden with and just keep going. This is strengthing my muscles but my groin is constantly being irritated.

Did you ask the consultant if weight lifting would affect this problem you have.

Its a difficult one. Your consultant may very well be completely right. My consultants have spent more time talking to me than examining me. Also they are all men and they have no idea about womens bodies like women have.

Please tell me what you think.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its me again. How long do you have to wait for your MRI. I have had mine done privately, £500 for one part. As I had to wait 5 weeks for my US I have been presuming that an MRI would take much longer? I am in London mind you.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up