Should I be careful with the Pill?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm a 21 year old female and was on the pill from 18-20 and I've been off it for just over a year.  It was only once I had come off the pill that my mum (with whom I have little contact) advised me that I must not take the pill, as when she was pregnant with me she suffered from a pulmonary embolism.

Is this really the case?  I was on it for 2 years with no problems, but I'm not naive enough to think that I have escaped any kind of genetic order.  My mum mentioned Factor V Leiden.  All of my googling has just left me more confused and I'm really hoping that someone here can help me. 

Should I start with a trip to the doctors?  I don't want to start booking time from work and doing blood tests if it's unlikely that there is anything wrong.  Also, what connection is there between pulmonary embolisms, the pill and genetic disorders?  My boyfriend and I are talking about me going back on the pill but I don't want to make any rash decision without being totally sure.

Hope

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There can be a genetic predisposition to blood clots but there isn't necessarily one. I had one in the 1970s when the pill was first introduced but the dose of oestrogen then was much higher than it is today. i would mention it to the GP but it is quite possible that your mother's clot has no bearing on your health, especially if you have used the pill for two years with no problem.
    • Posted

Thank you! I have scheduled an appoint meant for the 1st so we shall see!
  • Posted

i think this would be something to discuss with health care provider when they are prescribing it for you x. There has been an issue in the uk linked to some pills, HRT and autoimmune condition but they will know the risks best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.