Should i be concerned or not.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im having 2 yearly endooscopies for Barretts. I have just come back from the hospital today. Two years ago I had a mucosa 3 cm in length, today it was measured as 4cm. Samples were taken for biospy as routine but the results will take 6 weeks. Is this 1cm increase anything to worry about?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I cannot answer your question but I can say that I would also like advice as my barretts has appeared after a clear endoscopy 2 years ago. I have a hernia plus am being treated for GERD so wonder whether an operation may be helpful to tighten things up and stop the increase in barretts. I could be wrong but if the nature of your barretts cells haven't changed then you shouldn't worry.... Your biopsies should advise you on this. Would other people on this blog agree?
  • Posted

Barrett's size measurements are not very precise.

They are made by the endoscopist looking at markings on the endoscope showing the distance from the teeth. But the markings can be every 2 cm which requires some estimation on the part of the endoscopist. Add to that, differences can occur as the scope itself can slightly tug at or stretch the oesophagus meaning the measurements taken can be different if they are made when the scope is inserted to those whebn the scope is removed.

My own non-dysplastic Barrett's, which I've had for at least 21 years, has been variously measured at anything between 2.5cm (which is categorised as short segment) to 4 cm (which is categorised as long segment). But it seems 3 cm is nearer the mark.

There should be nothing to be concerned about except in the unlikely event any signs of dysplasia are found in which case you'll be abke to have it ablated.

• Posted

Thank you... I have another endoscopy in 3 years. Do you think changes to diet (apart from the usual advice....not eating before bed, raised bed, lanzoprazole or similar, are enough or what about the fundoplication op. That should at least stop the acid going into the oesophagus so much. I know the barretts will not go away now but it could stop the area enlarging. No one wants an operation but could this be an option with patients with hernia and reflux and now barretts.
    • Posted

In my case, I identified my trigger foods (it was mainky pastry) to avoid. (Most of the common triggers didn't actually affect me.) But I was on increasingky high doses of PPIs and my Barrett's has effectively remained unchanged for 21 years. But I did have the fundoplication 8 years ago to reduce the reflux and am now free of all drugs.

If you follow he reflux reduction advice, avoid trigger foods and remain on the lowest affective dose of your PPI, I'm guessing you'll be fine, too, but the surgery is always an option.

• Posted

Thanks... Am on 60mg a day...and do watch what I eat but may still have the op. It was offered a couple of years ago and I declined and now 2 years later the barretts has arrived. Will consult again and see what the medics think.. Your advice is encouraging. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.