Posted , 4 users are following.

Brief history

Citalopram 20 mg 5 weeks

Citalopram 30 mg 7 weeks

Ended up in hospital for 2 weeks after feeling suicidal

Switched to mirtazipine 15mg for 1 week cross tapered with citalopram 20mg

Mirtazipine 30 mg for 5 weeks

Mirtazipine 45mg for 3 weeks

Still unable to function as normal not been able to work since march this year. I am able to go to sleep and manage avg 5.5 hours. Can't eat during day but sometimes feel better on an evening. Still getting the hideous awful thoughts like I'm never going to get better, I' ll never work again, I can't lube like this .....I'm sure you know these thoughts too! Wake up every morning full of anxiety and now have to take propanolol to help the physical symptoms but the thoughts are hard to deal with. I also have CBT weekly

The question is do I grit my teeth for a few more weeks and hope things will improve or do I bite the bullet and ask to try something else ? And if so what on earth do I try next ?

Please help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You've only been on the highest does 3 weeks it takes 6-8 to know if it's working. If you can hold out a little longer matazpine is good for depression and aniexry I find it doesn't take me aniexry away just makes it liveable so I can deal with it better and the cbt should help you. If matazpine fails they normally put you on venflaxine which has a nasty start up with side effects but I've heard good things about if you can put up until the sides pass. Unfortunately meds don't wave a magic wand and make it all better we have to work along side them to solve the problem. A technique I was taught by my hypnotherapy guy for thoughts when you have one image in your head you capture that thought on a piece of paper then crunch it up in your hands as you do it feel good about doing it then throw it in a fire as it burns and the smoke raise feel free from that thought. What you feel as you do the action is important. The more you do this the less your brain will think about these thought as it soon realises you feel happy when you free free from these thoughts and believe it or not are brains want us to be happy. Hope that exercise helps it did for me when I was having obsessive thoughts or my ex and his new girlfriend which was plummeting my mood xx
    • Posted

Thanks Lauren

I just want to be able to function, my life is just spending the most of my day lying on my bed. I try to force myself to do things even if it's just going for a walk round the block but I find it exhausting.

Iv been contacting the crisis team on a daily basis for the past few days and had the police and ambulance the other night because of the thoughts of wanting to harm myself and not wanting to live like this anymore it's not even living it's just existing. The day just seems to go on and on and I get little rest from these thoughts.

This illness is the most lonely and isolating experience

• Posted

It horrible and the isolation is the worst. All I can say is this is only temper we am have all been there and over come this with time and hard work. Just think each day that passes you are closer to being free. Everyone's different and I can't say how long this phase will be for you bit I think it took about 6 months for me to start to get better slowly I was having more good days. Now the good days out weigh the bad yes I still struggle withaniexty and it gets me down but I'm waiting for my cbt to help with this I've over come this once in the past and had a blissful 3 years free smile but unfortunately life has been crule to me this year and I've had a major regression but what gets me through each day is knowing one day I will be better again and so will ypu . Just keep forcing yourself no matter how tiring and slowly things will improve when your stable on a med your happy on. X
    • Posted

Iv been on antidepressants in the past, many times over a 12 year period and have come out smiling every time

But this time I'm well and truly in it's grip and it's dragging me down. Iv had many losses over the past few years and then my son was diagnosed with serious mental health problems and has been on a section for the past year.

If I'm not riddled with anxiety I'm in the dark hole of depression! I need to overcome this for myself and my sons

I look forward to taking my tablet each night knowing it's one day more to getting better

• Posted

Hello to all,I have been  on Citalopram for many years.now have be advised to go onto Mirtazipe,so I was on 30mg cits cut down to 20 on for a week cut down to 15mg and then onto 15mg Mirts,after reading the way you are all suffering I dont think I can go up to 30mg as they want I am going to try to go to 7.5 I have only been on them for 4days wish me luck,I really do want to be in control of my life once more,I do hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all.
    • Posted

Hi

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and she has added sertraline to my mirtazipine.

So I'm now taking 45mg mirtazipine on a night time and 50mg sertraline on a morning. I also take 3.75 zoplicone for sleep and she has also gave me some 2mg diazapam to take 2x a day if needed.

I'm praying this works Iv read somewhere it's a ' heroic combo ' whatever that means !

Lets hope that light starts showing itself soon

• Posted

Interesting - as I am on the same drugs, however on different doses.

I take 100mg sertraline in the morning and 15mg mirtazapine at night.

I use the sertraline to control anxiety and the mirtazapine just to help me sleep. Those work well. I have not needed zopiclone or diazapam.

It has been a heroic combo for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.