Should I get steroid pain shot?

Posted , 7 users are following.

About a week ago I developed moderate pain left posterior medial lumbar sacral area. It feels like soft tissue injury maybe from overdoing. I am fused to the sacrum and have no discs to cause the issue. I am on 13 of pred starting taper trial to 12.25 mg

my rheumat does shots but so does my former pain doc who did painless ones before PMR dx. He really doesn't know much about PMR. He thought I should have gone down on pred 21/2 mg every 2 weeks. I sent him PMR education materials. On the other hand my rheum should be giving me my total care even though I think his shots will be painful and less gentle than my pain doc. The pain is fairly well controlled with time release Tylenol but is aggravated by my treadmill and stationary bike. I don't want to get more sedentary.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My advice is listen to your body. if you have PMR, you have to give up or cut down on your former excersize regiment or suffer with pain. None of us, like giving up, but PMR dictates what we do; we don't.
  • Posted

Just a though, I don't know your circumstances, but the two exercises you mention are both very repetitve.  Would you think about changing your regimen and until your joints feel better simply walking.  Walking outdoors gives the body a different kind of workout as the ground underneath will not be the dead level (or steady incline) of a treadmill, and the motion of your legs and hips will be different.  It might help strengthen some other muscles and eventually alleviate some of the pain. Have you seen a physiotherpist who could give you exercises to balance the strength of your muscles?  Many times pain arises because one set of muscles is a little stronger than another, and that causes something to go slightly out of line and, presto, pain. 
    • Posted

I think th factors you mention contribute to my situation. I would love to walk outside but pollen, mold and humidity get me more out of breath than usual- and my breathing is worse on pred. I am fused to the sacrum so my hips don't "give" while exercising. I tried tilting the incline on the treadmill only once and that did it. I got some relief with cold pack and acetomenophen. I think I will wait for my regularly scheduled rheumat visit visit in2 weeks.
    • Posted

That does limit your options, doesn't it?  Do you ever walk in a mall?  I know you're not getting the fresh air there, but as you said, fresh air comes with a load of things that are bad for you right now (mold, pollen etc).  Hopefully your doctor will have some good suggestons for you.  The basic point I was trying to get at was dealing with the repetitive nature of your exercises, but it seems more complicated than that. All the best.  💕 
  • Posted

Besides the replies you will get here I would hear my GP or my Rheumy.

More help / information the better.

Our well being needs it all.

Wish you feel well soon🌸

• Posted

If this is something you would normally get managed with a steroid shot then why not? I'd love one at the moment - I have sacroiliac grumblings! Local shots deal with some things much better and faster than oral pred - horses for courses. But they don't deal with everything - horses for courses again.
  • Posted

I ternd to think of steroid pills or shots as a useful diagnostic tool, helping the patient and doctor distinguish injury (such as a muscle tear or damaged cartilage) or mechanical issue (such as a pinched nerve or hernia) from what might be purely a symptom of tissue inflammation, such as might limit one's flexibility.

Taking prednisone as needed, when needed (as opposed to taking it per a daily schedule) has taught me a lot about what isn't causing my various aches and pains, some of which are more or less chronic than others.

I get (what I believe is bursitis) pain in my left hip and right shoulder, both of which resolve rapidly with just a slight increase in oral prednisone dosage.

Likewise, sports-related (what I believe is tendonitis) of the knee area could persist for several days in the past, but now is halted by a temporary slight boost in the pred. 

• Posted

Dan,I'm confused.  Are you saying you are taking prednisone to deal with ordinary (non-PMR) inflammation from injuries?  If so, why would you do that?  Being a bit more comfortable from the injury is no compensation for taking more of a rather dangerous medication.  
    • Posted

No, I haven't taken pred except for the pmr symptoms, but I have noticed how other things like tendonitis and allergies respond to my taking any dosage of pred.

I also have very little post-exercise stiffness of the muscles when I am on pred, although the typical night time stiffness still occurs due to pmr.

So I have to say that the noticeable side effects of prednisone for me have been good, helping with both inflammation and allergies.

• Posted

Today I am totally pain free- go figure. I just modified my exercises, took Tylenol as needed, rested and used a cold pack.

I didn't up my pred. I am on 13 tapering to 12.25.

• Posted

"I just modified my exercises, took Tylenol as needed, rested and used a cold pack."

Yes - that's enough to make the difference!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.