Should I get the chicken pox vaccine at 47?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive never had chicken pox (confirmed test recently) and am wondering if i should "fix what aint broke" and get the vaccine. Im 47. I dont want to be MORE susceptible to chicken pox and therefore later in life more susceptible for shingles, if i get this live virus injected! Dont know what to do but whatever ive done so far has worked!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just my opinion, but I would not get any vaccine unless absolutely necessary. I let my GP talk me into a 10'year booster vaccine for tetanus, and I believe it has left me with some serious complications, and I had the booster in October of last year. Never again, unless it's a matter of life or death! 
  • Posted

Mike, I absolutely would. I didn't get my children the vaccine until they were about.. I same them yup catch it naturally.If they could. Because so many people get the vaccine these days is very hard to catch. So when my children ere all about 10 I grooved to get out for them because I know it's very important for girls to have had the chicken pox or the vaccine before they get pregnant because if they catch it while they are pregnant it can have devastating effects on the baby. I also decided vaccinate my four children because the older they are when they get it the more sick they are. I have known people caught it in their late teens and are completely miserable for weeks. I am in definitely in favor of vaccine that they have developed 2 stop devastating diseases. The problem with parents who are against vaccines if they don't understand that they are not only putting their children at risk but other people's children also. Children cannot receive most vaccine that are the important ones until they are 1 8 or 2 years old. I would just hate to see you get deathly sick because you chose to not get the vaccine. I wish you luck and whatever you decide. Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks guys...love the help (one for one against...not good! LOL) Are there any Dr's on here? Thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.