Should I keep taking medication?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, because I am at the stage of not knowing if I have TM or toothache should I carry on taking Tegretol? Had a nasty flare up a few days ago but am completely out of pain now! Dentist is going to remove wisdom tooth because it needs to come out obviously if I have another flare up after that then dentist said it will be TN!

I read on here to keep Tegretol in your system to avoid flare ups and I really don't want that pain again?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Is the pain limited to the area of a single tooth?
    • Posted

No Clint it isn't the pain seems to move around the teeth on the right hand side? It's hard to discribe really the tooth where the pain seems to start is fine then the pain moves around to top teeth all on right hand side? When pain has subsided I still get the odd sharp stabbing in my cheek which isn't painful? Also a hot drink set it going the other day can that happen with TN?

• Posted

That sounds like TN. My pain would appear anywhere from my eyebrow to my upper lip.
    • Posted

Hello Clint71,

Got news today from Dr. Anil Patel, (Oklahoma University Medical Centers, Dean McDee Eye Institute), Dr. of Neuro Optomogy.

Dr. Patel states that info from Neurosurgeons is not in notes or papers

Neurosurgeon damaged some nerves that has to do with eyes and restructured

Some nerves this is y I have double

vision.

Optomologist confirmes I had

Ministroke (brain stem stroke during surgery), I took all my MRI's to Dean McGee Eye Institute, Oklahome, )

I could never get my neurosurgeon to say that I had a stroke, and my Neurologist says it way some time ago, b4 surgery but it was during surgery.

Those two days I was looking up at ceiling and staff could not get me to move or communicate, at least that is what my family and friends say.

Clint is atea bhind your ear from MVD soft and does it move when u eat or laugh

God bless

us and keep us and give us peace

• Posted

Clint71,

I have a dent bhind my ear where my MVD surgery wound is, do u have a large dent behind your ear.

I was wondering if this happens to all us MVD patients. Please, don't say ask my neurologist or my neurosurgeon, both have told me that I am released from there care.

I am going to new neurologist on December 1, 2016, this is neurologist whom scheduled me way out in December, had I waited I would not b in this ness.

Neuroptomologist, he said my nerves were damaged during the MVD surgery and this is y I have double horizonal,vertical, and 3D vision.

I hear that all nerves grow back, that is all except the spine. I hope this true. Meanwhile

Optomologist wants to make special glasses for me.

God bless

• Posted

I wouldn't call it a dent, it's a small indentation where the scar is healing over the titanium plate. I was told that over time, the scar tissue would thicken, and after about a year the only indication that I had surgery will be the visible scar.

• Posted

Welsh girl,

Its a wisdom tooth and u will not lose any wisdom.

So get it out as fast as u can.

All a wisdom tooth is for is to give us pain.

God bless

• Posted

Welsh girl,

Is dental surgeon going to take out all your wisdom teeth @ one time.

Reason I'm asking this is because, my eldest had all his taken out @ one time and he said he got all the pain out of the way.

I would advise u to do all wisdom teeth @ one time, then u can rest assured that the symptoms ur having r not because of those those bothersome wisdom teeth.

I really hope and pray it's ur teeth, bcause I would not wish the dreadful TN on my worst enemy, if I had one.

God bless,

• Posted

sounds like tn but it would be stabbing pain an teeth pain is the worst
    • Posted

Hi,

Pain is very much a subjective thing and any one person, irrespective of the pain they have (be it toothache, labour pains or bad back etc!), will always say it is the worst ever pain in the world!! However, the consensus in the medical world is that the Ophthalmic branch of TN (affecting the eye) is undoubdtedly the most painful of the condition. I can attest to that as when I can pains (stabs and shocks) elsewhere in my face or head it is very painful but doesn't come close to the level of hideous excruciating agony I get in the eye!!

Hugs.

• Posted

P.S. persevere with the Amitriptyline as will make a difference.
    • Posted

im on day 4 no difference other then it making my roght leg hurt more from the oxcarbazepine im tired of the body pain from that medicine
    • Posted

i got anxious an my heart rate got really high for a bit a little scary sometimes but im on 3 different drugs
    • Posted

Hello Tnhurtsme,

It may not be the carbamazepine medication,

Could me another med. All that does make you sleep, she wanted to know if I was using it as a sleeping pill.

You might want to find out if it's something else I've been taking it and only thing it does for me is making me sleepy.

But then I can't really say that it is not because I have so many allergies to that Tegretol everyone is praisin on this forum, did for me was make me was make me throw up.

I also take it along with with Gabapentin medicine.

God bless

• Posted

im taking gabapentin an oxcarbazepine an amitriptyline i want to quit oxcarbazepine i can barely take it makes everything hurt muscles an all gabapentin helps some but not much amitriptyline i can't tell if its working yet

• Posted

Tnhurtsme,

The stabbing pain was bad but the shocking

With the stabbing, now that was unbarable.

God bless,

• Posted

Tnhurtsme,

Have u read the side effects for amitriptyline, I have never heard of that drug b4, but reading the literature it has some very bad side effects. Not wanting 2 b a buutt dinsky but the muscle pains in its literature.

You might want to talk with ur Neurologist b4 going off either drug so he can replace them with another.

God bless

• Posted

Susan33651,

I'm so sorry to hear about that excruciating eye pain, I know what that pain feels like while in hospital recovering from the MVD surgery I had a lot of eye. pain and headaches. God bless

I really hope there's something that can be done for all us TN suffers pretty soon and that procedures are not causing other danger to our health.

If a doctor does not know what he is doing he should not do this sort of surgery. Do it on

Practice dummy b4 doing it on us.

God bless

• Posted

Susan33652,

Word of mouth lets get this dredfil disease out to the public in order to make doctors find a forever cure for it.

Try to tell 10 people in a day about TN.

God bless

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your support. I opened the freezer the other day to get something out for dinner the next day and immediately I got the stabs of pain in my eye from the cold, thankfully it only lasted about 30 seconds but that was long enough! Now my husband has to get stuff out all the time not just in winter coz of the Reynaud's in my fingers!!

I note your reply to the other Susan, I try to educate colleagues and all the student nurses about TN whenever I get the chance!

Best wishes.

• Posted

Susan33651,

Try not to bend ur head down.

God bless

• Posted

I tell everyone but they don't really want to know..Even doctors appear uninterested, except for one, in listening to symptoms.As my son is the only one who has witnessed my zaps, friends still look disbelieving..Mine started with an electric toothbrush. After remission started again with arguing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.