should I quit fluoxitine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking the tablets for 16 days now which isn't long but I feel rubbish. My anxiety is a million times worse with awful thoughts nearly constantly, I struggle to think or control my thoughts and every day I wake up shaking n very anxious for hours. I have no appetite and I am constantly tired and spaced out. My head feels light n stuffed with wool. I feel confused and my memory is worse than usual. I really can't do this for weeks and I hate being alone and I can't bug my friends. I'm going to attempt to see a doctor on monday but I'm not sure what to do. I wasn't this bad before the tablets. I have uni work and I got an extension but on these pills i can't concentrate where as before i could at least be by myself and do some work.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Keep going. I felt like that but after 4 weeks things improved and feel much better now x
    • Posted

these side effects are normal? I feel so strange n out of it, with horrible feelings in my head.
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. The inside of my head was like a tornado of obsessive and negative thoughts, which is made worse by the fact that you physically feel terrible and wound up with anxiety. But luckily, this may be a sign that the meds are working. It sucks I know, but I think the minimum time to give fluox is 6 weeks before you can decide if its starting to work. But really its more like 8-12 weeks before people feel noticably better.

See if your doctor can give you something else for the anxiety, perhaps beta blockers or even klonopin while you wait for the meds to adjust. You will have some bad days and some really bad days for the first few weeks but slowly the fog will lift. Keep coming back here if you need support and reassurance. This place has helped me alot!

• Posted

These meds take months to  work and the first few weeks they will heighten your symptoms unfortunately.  They're really tough meds, but they do work. Recovery isn't straight forward but it's often a roller coaster ride of being up and down whilst you recover.

They will work though, so it's really worth ousting through.  Can you talk to your Uni rep about what's happening and even your family.  Don't try and struggle on alone.

These type of meds really do work, but they're not a quick fix.  You will get there.

K xx

• Posted

Typo ..... ousting? ..... should have said pushing 😊❤️
  • Posted

Please do not stop taking Fluoxetine without psychiatrist's advise. The side effects will take four to six weeks to subside. It will be over soon! Bear with it!
  • Posted

Thank you all. It's just the fact I feel so much worse and that I can't control my thoughts and can barely think. Is that all a part of it then? I also keep playing songs over and over in my head it's really weird.
    • Posted

Contact your Doctor if symptoms worsen. I would highly recommend you to see psychologist. It will definitely improve your overall health condition. Side effects vary from patient to patient. 

Remember, you are not alone here! 

• Posted

I have a counselling appointment on monday. Do these sound like side effects?
    • Posted

It could be side effect, but if you feel that your condition worsens, Fluoxetine may not be suitable for you. This is just based on my own opinion. It would be great to speak to your Doctor if this is bothering you. Do note that side effects take four to six weeks to subside. Also, for the first four weeks or so, Fluoxetine will be adjusting your whole body. That is why you are feeling uncomfortable, etc. 

Good to hear you have an appointment this Monday. Hope the session goes well and improves your overall condition. You may want to voice out your current situation to him/ her. 

If this is worrying you, do contact the Doctor/ pharmacist. Just remember, not to stop taking Fluoxetine without Doctor's advise.

• Posted

I eventually had to quit the fluox because my symptoms worsened steadily from weeks 4-8. Oddly the first month went very well. I saw my doctor and we decided Prozac maybe wasn't right for me. It's a very activating drug in some people, meaning it may increase mental energy.

Definately follow janne's advice and do do anything before speaking to a doctor. The good news is that prozac has a long half-life so it may not be necessary to wean off before starting something else.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Posted

It is all part of it, yes.  Yes when you're feeling like this your mind becomes tired and thoughts stick to a tired mind, bouncing around continuously.  I had exactly the same.  The meds exaggerate symptoms temporarily, but it will calm down.  Eventually when the meds kick in and you begin to heal, the thoughts will stop being tiresome and will be out back into perspective.

There's many SSRI medications available and often its trial and error finding one that's suitable just for you.

I hear Escitalopram is good - works quicker and has less side effects.

K x

• Posted

Hi Rumur I hope you managed to see a Dr today. I was taking fluoxetine however just like you my anxiety really increased, after just over 2 weeks of no improvement the Dr said to up my dose it felt like my anxiety was off the chart. I took it for just over 4 1/2 weeks and that was it for me, I couldn't take another second. I could not continue with this medication as I actually felt I was going off my head, couldn't sleep,couldn't eat ( I lost all in all almost 2 stone) pacing the floor etc.. etc.. I had to wait for therapy as there was a really long waiting list but it has helped me. If you can stick with it after speaking to your Dr you should do what's best for you. I think it all depends on how YOU feel, medication reacts differently for everyone, some people have hardly any side effects. Someone else replied to one of my other posts and said fluoxetine can be too stimulating for some people and thus causing more anxiety. Next time if you haven't already spoken to your Dr ask about therapy, it really can help to talk. I hope you are feeling better. The very best of luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.