Should I still continue?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, guys. 

I have been diagnosed officially with Agoraphobia since April 2016. There are other mental disorders (Depression and Psychotic Disorder) which are associated to my case but they are still under further observations.

I have been taking Fluoxetine (10 mg) for 2 months then Fluoxetine (20mg) for 1 month. I have been attending CBT regularly. However, I feel that none of them are helping me. My symptoms fluctuate from time to time and I usually have zero motivation to carry out the techniques taught as they aren't that useful when I have full blown panic attacks. The fact that to recover from Agoraphobia, you need to expose yourself to the outside world makes it all the more daunting. 

I just feel like I should quit trying.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dont ever give up Hang on to hope and try and have faith that someday things will change. Hang in there. Xx
  • Posted

I suffer agoraphobia and I know how difficult it can be to cope with, believe me. It's an awful thing.

The only thing that quitting trying will do is narrow your life to where you practically don't have one. Been there. Done that. By caving in because trying to overcome it is so daunting  and the symptoms so nasty, you reduce yourself to life within four walls and that is no life at all. You might as well be in prison...but this is a prison of your own making.

You need to read all you can lay your hands on about agoraphobia and keep on re-reading. It helps you to understand what is happening to you and it helps you not add full blown panic into the mix when you are trying to move forward.

Struggling too hard is exhausting so don't push yourself too hard. Set yourself small achievable goals. Every success you have will give you courage. And if you fail then it is important you not allow yourself to feel defeated or that you cannot overcome it because you can.

Have the courage to take control yourself because whilst CBT helps, and tablets are a Godsend, at  the end of the day it is up to you to literally move forward. And if that's "baby" steps to begin with, well, every step is an achievement.

Go forward!!!!smile

• Posted

So sorry I am right there with you I started out just not wanting to go places or do things that was bad enough but then my muscles got where they went rigid when I was in open spaces , this was due to a fall I took in a parking lot that was caused by this so i am terrified of it happening again I know it is the fight or flight response but knowing this does not help me at all. I have not found a med that works so here I am juat dealing  day to day. It is good to have this forum because no one here judges they just try to help.xx
    • Posted

Agoraphobia is a complicated thing. Most people think it's the literal term, fear of open spaces, whereas the reality of those suffering it, is quite different.

It's a fear of something happening to them, or of panic making a fool of them, outside of the home. Assaulted by physical symptom most sufferers seek to "escape" to the sanctuary of their home, where the symptoms subside and they feel safe again.

Sadly, this reinforces the belief that only in one's own home are we truly safe. The truth is we carry what we feel "inside" of us wherever we go.

For instance, if an agoraphobic suffers a panic attack in the local shop, he associates that place with fear and thus avoids it. Then it happens, say, in the town. And the same thing occurs. A patter of fear sets in wherever an attack occurs. Suddenly horizons are narrowed where the agoraphobic feels the only safe place is home

Then he is truly trapped and despondant.

The only way out, literally, is out. Bit by bit, facing fears, walking slowly, breathing correctly, letting the symptoms wash over him until they subside.

Sometimes we fail. We rush home on trembling legs, gasping for air, feeling we might faint. Sometimes we succeed and that is a victory. But the most important thing is not to give up trying.

Agoraphobics exist all around us. Nobody ever passed out, ran screaming down the street, disgraced themselves in public or died of a heart attack.

When we come to terms with the fact that it is not visible to a;l and sundry, then we can remove some of the fear.

• Posted

Thank you Helen for your response, most kind yes I am very aware of what this is.I have been fighting this and anxiety for four years. It is an insidious thing in that it came on slowly through anxiety that was manageable to some extent the got worse over time I now tense up so bad walking in open spaces is impossible. I am seeing a psychiatrist she calls me an enigma soooo where to go from here?I am asking to try a new med maybe it will help. Just really frustrated because I remember so clearly life before this and I do not have the type of personality that can just accept it
    • Posted

My heart goes out to you! It is devastating battling with the symptoms w .

Hugs and courage dear!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.