Should I take it earlier?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been prescribed this drug for heavy periods, I am heavy for a few days every month and especially at night. I usually have to change every 40-60 minutes.

I was taking Mefenaemic Acid which did work for a couple of months but then stopped. My doctor told me to take these on my heavy days so I waited till lunchtime on the 2nd day when it all went awful, it didn't really work for me but after a 2 days I had a light day. Should I be taking it earlier on, to stop it before it starts. i am never sure exactly when my period will start as I have a few days of stop/start before the main event.

I have read a lot of the comments here and am so impressed at how strong you ladies are, I feel bad that I don't seem to be as bad as many of you but I can't cope with the bad days I do have especially the lack of sleep for 3 nights a month.

[color=indigo:32b0525c5e][/color:32b0525c5e]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

smile

Hi, I have recently been prescribed Tranexemic Acid as well for heavy bleeding and I experience the same as you, really heavy for a few days, changing every 40 - 60 mins. Although I agree that some of the posts on here do seem a lot worse, if you are struggling with this and it is affecting your life then you need the same level of care and understanding that other women get, so don't feel that you don't deserve any less. I was advised by my doctor to take these tablets 3 days before my period. I have been taking them for the last 3 days had have not had a period yet, just waiting for it to arrive, bit worried about what will happen when I stop taking them, not sure if i'll get an onslaught of bleeding.

• Posted

Well, I've been taking tranexamic acid for about two years and it has transformed life during my periods. I am lucky that I have regular periods which makes things simpler but this is what I do in case it is any help to you or others.

As soon as I realise I am getting my period I start taking the tablets (in my case two tablets several times a day-four times I think). I used to hold off a bit for the first bit of my period when it was lighter but I've found with trial and error that this works best for me. The doctor just said take it during your period-and that was only after she prescribed it coz i found out about it, she had me lined up for surgery. Anyway, I take it til the period is finishing.

The only hassle I have is that I get what I can only describe as a tight dry headache after a few days on the tabs. If I can I then try to ease off on the frequency a bit and/or take some paracetamol.

Good Luck

• Posted

:wizard: I have been given tranexamic tabs to help with heavy periods. The doc said i'm in the cusp of the menopause eek! I used these for the first tme in August this year and found them just magic. I could go to work the first couple of days which was a problem before if i had started my periods during a week day. I'm not up at night as much. This is the 1st time since August i've taken them again. Brilliant!! I was a bit anxious at first when i took these, but not now. I've spoken to other women my age, 55, yes but i'm a young 55. They are enquiring about them too. At least if there is a special occassion coming up at the time of my period, i won't be as worried about going. It's about time that us women have a relief of some kind eh! We have these periods from the age of 11 or so. One thing too is if you have an understaning hubby too.

Take care from

Frannimole

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.