Should I take statin or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I hope some one with similar conditions to me could answer me. Here are the results of my blood test:

LDL:146 mg/dl

HDL: 55 mg/dl

Total Cholesterol: 228 mg/dl 

and I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, also I do have a family history with Atherosclerosis. Blood pressure and glucose level are normal.

Should I start taking statins or not? Knowing that I'm 50 years old.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

For UK  readers the conversion factor of mg to mmol/L - the SI units used in Europe -- is 38.7 so these values in mmol/L  are cholesterol: 5.89,

HDL 1.42 

LDL 3.77

Ann Marshall (Fellow of Institute of Medical Laborotry Sciences)

• Posted

Thats a difficult one, theres been so much about the pros and cons and none of us are qualified to judge and even doctors do not agree. My consultant is always on to me about it as like  you I have AF. I also have 4 stents. But my Cholesterol is around 5. But I also suffer with anxiety and my BMI is ok, so as some I have talked to,most, have given up  taking it due to muscle pain, I have chickened out. But each of us must decide. I already suffer with tension and do not want to add to it. Some seem to tolerate it fine and thosands are taking it. Sorry if thats not much help though.
    • Posted

What was the need for the stent? Was your cholesterol level before above 6 or what happened exactly that lead to stents?
    • Posted

cardio vascular disease, 2 arteries had become partially blocked over a period of time but my diet and life style are different now. Have you looked at the other posts here for reaction to statins?
    • Posted

Yeah, I have checked a few posts stating some side effects, that's why I was worried about taking them. Why cause your arteries to be partially blocked? What was your cholesterol level?

• Posted

In your opinion, can my cholesterol level partially block my arteries? 
    • Posted

I don't know if it is just about cholesterol, I have not got any figures of past readings but mine is about 5 now, which is not that high but consultants prefer a 4 if you have history of cardio vascular problems. My point is that I no longer smoke and have not for about 20yrs. My diet is also better and I have lost some weight, although never obese but I am now on my BMI as on the upperside of normal. I think that certainly from my point of view, you have to look at the whole picture and then decide for you. Some doctors are very pro statins for everyone over a certain age and loads of people take them but most people( by no means extensive or representative)I have spoken to had to give them up, due to side effects. They were generally with higher cholesterol levels than mine. In the wider picture you have to think for daily quality of life as well as long term health. Good luck with making your own decision, Mick

• Posted

so what did you do in the end?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.