shoulder pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell and put my arms straight down to save my fall, I don't know why I fell and at the time felt no lasting pain but over The past 6 months the pain has become unbearable on top in front and down left arm, granted the pain is not constant but I cannot sleep on it, lift my arm above my head or put arm back over,  the pain can come on doing nothing. Doctor said ring physio they took details and sent out exercises to do with a exercise band telling me it would hurt but help, has anyone else got through this and if so could you share your experience please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you cannot lift your arm above your head, instead of having an x-ray I would try to insist on having an MRI scan.  I was given physio after my injury, it was dreadfully painful, and after the scan I found I had a severe rotator cuff injury and should not have been doing physio.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, as I said I did have phone appointment with doctor which is the way it's done now and was told to ring physio but didn't even get to see them just mailed exercises! I agree with you about getting scan as I don't know what the problem is and as you said might be doing more harm than good, I will take you comments on board and ring docs next week 😊
    • Posted

Hi deni1,

I agree with Graham. An MRI gives the best picture and you should be able to request one since the regular x-rays did not show much, yet your pain continues for this long. TELL them what you want. In the meantime, I cringe at the thought of you doing anything that causes you pain! Perhaps wait until you know more about your condition because it would be awful to damage something worse. Use your "ouch-o-meter".

Sincerely,

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Deni. Your explanation of your symptoms sound horribly like Adhesive Capsulitis aka frozen shoulder. It would be worth mentioning it to your GP. Do not go on with physio until you know exactly what is wrong as it can be extremely detrimental to recovery. Good luck.
    • Posted

3rd time of trying to write post and site crashed :-(trying to cut it short. Not been to doctors thought they would just say persevere, agree could be frozen shoulder physio on phone physio thought rotor cuff tear, think there is slight improvement although some movements send pain through roof. Still cannot sleep on it hence it is now 4.48 am. Have to put arm in pocket to act as sling when walking a distance as it drags and hurts, BUT can lift my hand just above head now..yay putting clothes on over not too bad taking them off very painful must be different movements, Iv thought iv had no chance of getting things off, just thought ..now what do I do. Right sending this post before it crashes again. Thank you for your comments.
    • Posted

Been to doctors getting appointment for musculoskeletal clinic to see what they think ie: mri?injection or whatever. Anyone had the injection and was it effective? ???
    • Posted

Hi Deni 1 - I agree with Mymaude it sounds like frozen shoulder sad

There is a whole thread on here dedicated to us FS suffers have a look - you will get good advise & support...........It can come on from your fall just like that with no warning sad  Its vile sad  Go to your doctors and get a diagnosis then you can start treatment..........

• Posted

Hi linda, had xray which confirmed the diagnosis of frozen shoulder, I was given more exercises which to be honest I haven't stuck to but have used the shoulder and stretched it and have seen an improvement, I can now lift my arm further than before and also I can now lay on that side albeit uncomfortable but I stick it out for a bit then turn over. Sometimes the odd movement can still cause bad pain along with lifting my arms outward or upwards past the comfort level but on the whole I feel it's going in the right direction. I'm due back at hospital for a check up in May so hope to have improved more by then. Think its going to be a slow recovery.
    • Posted

Oh thats good news smile

Yes it can take quite a long time to get all your range of movements back but at least you are well on your way smile  Lying on the effected shoulder can be very painful for some time! Hope you are managing to get good quality sleep? There are a lot of us with this awful condition on here - some get sorted quicker than others - some take the surgical route others injections........worth a read.

Good luck & wishing you a speedy recovery smile 

• Posted

Thanks for your good wishes my thoughts are with you and all others dealing with a frozen shoulder, I personally would avoid the injection I was told I could have it but would rather not....if possible. My husband stopped the car quickly when reversing a couple of days ago and although I didn't hit my shoulder on anything the pain was awful for a few minutes so I know although I'm improving it's still can take me backwards sometimes. The forums are a great help you learn a lot and it's good to listen to people who are experiencing the same symptoms. Best wishes, keep smiling 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.