shoulder pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been having pain in my shoulder for the last 6 months , i was cleaning a gutter from a small extension when the ladder slipped and my instinct was to grab the gutterand i was at full stretch holding then fell a short distance. i felt ok at the time, just grazed arms but the day after was agony and getting pains in my shoulder and down my arm especially when i sleep on it, thought it would have healed itself by now. if i put my arm to the side and try to lift it sideways i cannot raise it more than a foot at most, not good when in building industry, any help or advice please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I tore my rotater's cuff quite awhile ago and it made it pretty difficult to do things . It's where your was arm joins .For me the only thing that helped was to not over use it. I slowly roll my arm until it 'clicks'.when it's comfortable enough to do so. Ice can be helpful as can heat but make sure you alternate appropriately. (RICE)If nothing is helping you might need to see physio or have an x-ray to make sure it isn't somethtng more extensive. Hope all goes well

• Posted

Gee, sorry about all of the mistakes, I hope this makes sense....
    • Posted

yes i spoke to one of my neighbours who said it sounds like i have damaged the rotater cuff. looks like a trip to the docs i think. thanks for replying.
  • Posted

Hi Mark, I too have had a lot of pain in my shoulder. I have been seeing a physiotherapist who after a few sessions suggested I should have an Xray which I had a few weeks.  The Xray revealed AC problems and some degeneration- I am not sure what it is in layman's terms.  Its where the collarbone, the shoulder blade and the arm meet.  After a few sessions of physio the problem is still there so now my GP is referring me to have either an MRI or ultrasound scan.  I hope this will show up what is going on - the physio thinks it could be torn tendons or ligaments.

Like you, I find it very painful at night; I cant seem to find a comfortable position.

I think you should visit your GP who should advise you what needs to be one.

• Posted

Hi Mark...In Dec 2012....I was coming down ladder from loft..and I lost my footing. I held on to the handle so was suspended by this action.....to cut the story short...after 2 months of pain..I was referred to hospital and MRI and X ray showed I had fractured my arm as well as partial tear of rotator cuff..The fracture had healed mal-aligned!........I visited Aand E 2 days after the fall and had X ray...and was told nothing broken!....Needless to say I visited a Solicitor!.......Still in pain...even after a surgical proceedure.....Physio was a waste of time......I can move my arm ....but boy the pain afterwards......Thankfully, I am left handed.......
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

If it is a rotator cuff injury, then I would advise having a MRI scan, an x-ray won't show damage to tendons.  I would also advise having the scan before any physio so you don't end up doing more damage and suffering needless pain.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi mark

i wonder if you could have torn the muscle in your shoulder. I have been asking advice here since I was diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear, I think this was from falling over in the street a couple times, after which I had pains down my right arm and not being able to lift them without pain. Apparently the consultant told me there are a lot of people with this who don't know they have this problem. If you could ask your doctor for a ultrasound scan which I did that showed this up and I was able to see it on the screen.

There seems to be a lot of people who are suffering with this pain which you don't realise until reading their experiences here.

Hope you can get some help. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.