Shoulder pain and sleeping

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I suffer from both shoulder impingement, had few injections, not very helpful!

I was due to a Subacromial decompression on 9th August, but had to cancel it as I ruptured my Achilles Tendon. I am managing the pain during the day, but the most difficult time is at night, the pain wakes me up and keeps me up. Because of lots of other musculoskeletal problems, sleeping on the sides is the best position, but that triggers the pain. 

​I would appreciate your advice.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No advice I'm afraid, but oh so much sympathy! I've just come back from the doctor's where I had an armful of blood taken to test for a wide range of things including RA and Lupus.

What started out as a 'frozen shoulder' last year has turned into a full scale meltdown of most of my joints with the tendons taking the most of the punishment.

I now sleep (sort of) sitting up with 4 pillows. Would you mind telling me what other musculoskeletal problems you have? It might be the same thing.

• Posted

I agree with Bobbysgirl , mortez our sympathies for sure! Nights are the worst for me. What I have found works best is sleeping in our reclining couch. I can still have my legs stretched out but the movement of my shoulder in any direction when laying flat is painful so by having my upper half upright and somewhat supported by the arm of the couch, I can at least doze off for longer periods.
    • Posted

The problem is that when I lie on my back or even sitting, my lower back hurts so much and have to reposition myself all the time.
  • Posted

Hi.  I haven't actually contributed to this forum for some time, but for a good few months I found it really helpful and at times a godsend.  Therefore as I am now a bit futher along I can at least offer some light at the end of the tunnel.  I had shoulder surgery last August after a couple of injections were like you say, not very helpful. It was originally for a subacromial decompression and bursitis.  However, during surgery it was discovered that I had a rotator cuff tear also.  The consultant opted for open surgery as he says it enables him to do a better job.  The actual operation was deemed to be completely successful with full range of movement obtained.  However, the pain was something else!  After a good two or three months, the pain was easier during the day, but night times were absolutely awful.  I tried everything from ice packs, heat packs, painkillers, pillows but nothing really made any difference.  I say chiropractors, had acupuncture, wet cupping, and again not very much relief.  The only thing that I felt did make a difference was some deep tissue massage, but by that time I expect it was starting to improve anyway.  I followed instructions to the letter from physiotherapy, and probably could have taken the exercising further but I didn't want to increase the pain as I expect it was the surrounding muscles that were having to get back working properly again.  I don't think you are going to feel any better until you have the surgery and I did see at my follow up appointment with the consultant, six weeks after the procedure, when he showed me the x-ray, there was ample room for full range of movement.  Having the complication of the tear repair was obviously contributing to the pain but I don't think there is a quick fix.  The best sleeping position I found was on my side with my arm draped over a big pillow, but I can see with your problem of two shoulders being affected that isn't going to help.  I can honestly say it was eleven months before I could see any real relief from the pain.  It still niggles sometimes now but if I get up and walk about for five minutes it subsides enough to get back to sleep.  I hope this helps you a little.

• Posted

Thanks for your and others advice. I guess probably am going to ask for another injection (s), just to buy a few months. The surgery is not an option at the moment due to Archilles tendon rupture, I am on daily boold thining  injection. And also cannot afford being off work for much longer. I have another 5 weeks sick leave left, hopefully by then will be more mobile then can plan the shoulder surgery. At the moment so much frustrated.
  • Posted

My sympathies! I too have frozen shoulder in both shoulders (as well as a few other shoulder issues). I am currently going through shockwave treatment for my calcific tendinitis. However, i was told she does shockwave a lot,on just frozen shoulder, she says it gives about 80% of people a noticeable relief. (Unfortunately I am one of them20%!).  Maybe it is something you can look into? 3-5 sessions about 5-10 days apart is the average,  so it's not a lot of time.  Good luck and know we are all here! 

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I am very interested. Can you please give me her contact detail?  I live in Oxford, UK.
    • Posted

I am in Canada. Just search for shock wave therapy in your area. Find someone reputable (I use a chiropractor) not just the cheapest place! I had my physiotherapist recommend someone. It's not cheap but the prices range from cnd$60-140 per session. Mine are $120 but since I prepaid for 6 sessions I got them for $90 each. Good luck

• Posted

Hi, I found a clinic here, they charge £600 for 3 sessions. Will try. Many Thanks

• Posted

I am just starting this process so I can offer little from experience. You may have already tried this but I was reading elsewhere on this forum about taking MSM that some seem to have found helpful. That is definitely something I am going to try. Also, would a pillow wedge perhaps be helpful for sleeping? My process started with a fractured clavicle and sleep was miserably difficult starting then as lying on either side caused pain as did lying flat. We don't have a recliner and I remembered that my son has a wedge that he had used in the past. In desperation I pulled that out to try. It is no miracle worker by any means but it helped and continues to be the way I "sleep" with my new FS problem. I don't know how that would impact your back pain but since you are more reclined than seated with a wedge maybe that would be worth a try. It helped of course that I already had one on hand. You can get them at health supply stores and online. They I think come in at least a couple of different sizes. Mine a think is a 12-inch height.

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear about your pain and thanks for the advice. May I ask where would the wedge positioned? I looked uo on the internet for sleeping wedges for shoulder pain, but not much luck!
  • Posted

I have sent you a reply but delayed as has to be moderated. I am sure that is because of a link I included and I am not sure of the link rules here so I understand that precaution. Put "sleeping wedge pillow" or similar in your search engine and you will get lots of hits and photos. You sleep with your back lying on the wedge. It has a similar effect of raising the end of the bed (which might also be something to consider). I sometimes have to adjust the point where I rest on the wedge to find the most comfortable spot as far as elevation, etc.

• Posted

I was able to locate the info on posting links just now and we are not allowed to post advertisements, so the reply in moderation will likely not be allowed. I understand. I should have searched for link info more closely before posting. However, you can find the info quickly by doing a search for sleeping wedge pillow or similar.
    • Posted

I have found them, will order today. Many thanks
    • Posted

I hope it is of some benefit. As is often mentioned here and other places, I also put a pillow under my arm as well. In your case everything is more complicated by having both arms involved. My thoughts are with you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.