Shoulder update 13months on...advice needed please

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi,

Well I it's now been 13/14 months since all this started. Three cortisone injections , last one ended up me being worse. Lots of visits to physio, and paying for sports injury clinic.

I last week I lost the plot as I had been coping with three hours sleep for quite some time, my brain gave in and I ended up crying so much, which is so not me!!! 

Resulted in me going back to the doctors and getting anti inflams rather than pain killers, also muscle relaxers, what a difference, still sore but I can cope, anyway I have now had to go private , I saw an orthopaedic surgeon on the SAME day! Anyway at last,  he has booked me for an operation on the 29th, told me I needed it obviously last thing I want, but need to get rid of pain and impingement. He has told me that I will be doing nothing for six weeks can anyone give me their experience with this please as I am self employed he told me I won't be able to work for this period of time. I am a child practitioner. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eve, sorry to hear that you are one of our grisly club. What sort of surgery are you having. I had arthroscopic capsular release on a Friday back to work driving lorries on the Monday. Different things for different people. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Graham,

wow, that was quick! 

Im not to sure I know that my tendons and ligaments are swollen and stuck in my joints, he also said I will have a holes on the front , back and top of my shoulder.

i think I have torn my rotator cuff but until he gets in there unsure as ultra sound only showed swelling and chap said I had a lot going on...what ever that means ? 

All the surgeon said was I won't be caring for any children for the first six weeks.

did they say that you wouldn't work? 

Im self employed so a little worried about this , I'm lucky I have a Royal Navy pension but I enjoy work and don't like sitting still for long lol. 

• Posted

Sounds like you have more problems than my frozen shoulder. I guess that you must just trust what the chap says. The surgeon that did my shoulder said that if I could do it before then I could do it afterwards. That said my procedure was fairly simple. I wish you the very best of luck
  • Posted

Eve, Have you found out anything else about your pain? Today after 6 months I went to a new Dr who had referred me for an MRI of my neck. I had one of my shoulder as well as an xray/ultrasound etc. The results on my neck show 3 bulging/slipped discs. This is what is causing the pain across my shoulder and down my arm. He has advised that BEFORE I get a referral to a surgeon (as like you I do nto want surgery if possible) it is vital that the disc issue is treated. He feels that this is the cause of the FS. Once this is addressed, the FS may well clear up. I am hoping that this is the case as like you I have been running on 3 hours sleep.

I went out yesterday and bought a rather expensive pillow, a support pillow made from latex. I taught myself to relax and fall asleep on my back. The GP prescribed tramadol (one at5pm and one at 9pm) and this way is the only way I can get to sleep. The night was broken but far less painful than normal.

Let me know how you go!

Clairebiggrin

• Posted

Hi Claire thank you.

it sounds like your going through it to.

i have asked lots for an MRI as I am getting pains in my other shoulder also.

i bought an angel cushion from the chiropractor under her recommendation, wasn't cheap and I can't say it has helped a lot but we try anything don't we xx

• Posted

We do indeed don't we? I even bought turmeric oil and capsules, they didn't do much but desperatation is a funny thing. Keep at the MRI requests, please! They show so much and will probably give you many answers. I am in Australia and here the MRIs for the head, neck and back are free but the shoulder costs about $200. I paid for one but the neck one didn't cost me anything. Ironically, this revealed the problems.

I am also on strong anti-inflammatory tablets, one a day. I still have pain and the Dr was keen to assure me that these strategies will help me to cope rather than cure the issue.

I am loathe to have surgery. Like you I am ex services and although I have a pension, I need to work and want to keep as fit as I am able to, after many years as a fit and capable person, this makes me feel OLD!

​Good luck x

• Posted

Haha, Claire we sound so similar .

I will ask for MRI, I even offered to pay for my own just like you x it £500 then £250 for each other one x when I move my neck I get pains down the back of my sloulders , so I  would like all investigations that I can to be as sure. 

Keep me updated on you also. I feel old also it wears you down solo much x

Happy New Year by the way xx 

• Posted

I'll certainly keep you posted. I have physio on wednesday, first time since before Christmas. Now I have to pay as the free 6 sessions have been used up. (We get 6 free per year).  Dr wants me to stay on the anti inflamatory for one month and have one month of physio BEFORE referring me to a surgeon. As I said, the thought of someone fiddling around with my spine at the back of my neck fills me with as much terror as visiting the gynecologist! 

Happy New Year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.