Shouldn't other causes be looked at for broken bones in the absence of osteoporosis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Reading back over older posts have noticed people are being prescribed drugs like fosamax and Prolia either without having had a Dexa scan or no osteoporosis established with the scan.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what other causes there could be for breaking bones other than osteoporosis?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would think that any other spinal condition can cause a person to be more susceptible to breakage.
    • Posted

Maybe tests should be done to make sure they have the whole picture rather than just assuming.
  • Posted

Super program on US public tv, fundraising programming, about osteoporosis.  One of the things the presenter emphasized was that a good doctor would investigate causes of bone thinning before prescribing any medication.  
    • Posted

Of course, it is just plain common sense! I would want evidence and explanations.
    • Posted

Unfortunately I dozed off before she got to the "meaty" part of the program, you know, the bit where they talk about diet and exercise!  That's the trouble with living in the Atlantic time zone and watching tv originating in the Eastern one. But these fundraisers are always repeated.  I did note, however, that she seemed to give more emphasis to Vitamin K2 than she had done in her book. 

She also did a cool demonstration showing two model bones with identical bone density, but different strength.  The healthy bone flexed when pressure was applied, but the poor quality bone snapped right away.  Just to show that density testing is useful but not the be all and end all for diagnosing fracture risk, very useful for people starting this journey, although you and I and others on this forum have become our own experts.  

• Posted

Hello Anhanga Could you please tellme the show.s name ?Thank you ,
    • Posted

I think it was called stronger bones longer life.  It's on numerous stations.  I get Detroit and Boston by cable and can't remember which one I saw it on, but I don't think they've rebroadcast it yet.  I hope to stay awake for the whole thing if I have a second chance to view it!
    • Posted

Thank you ! I have seen the trailer and from that one I can say it should be more concice .I lose my patience when is too long . smile
    • Posted

I enjoyed what I saw.  It was just so late in my time zone (I live in the Atlantic zone).  I tend to nod off just before the criminal is unmasked, or the point of a documentary is made which is really annoying....
  • Posted

There is a tendency among certain parts of our NHS to assume that just because I am a post menopausal woman that is the reason why I fractured my pubic rami, and that I now have osteoporosis without the confirmation of a DEXA scan. If I was 20 they would not even consider this as a possibility. I run 100 miles a week though obviously with this fracture not at the moment. I do not believe there is any weakness of my bones but that the fracture was due to a variety of other factors like running with a new dog who is very 'trying', etc etc. I am currently force feeding myself with tinned sardines with bones in, Vitamin K2 curly Kale and various other bone building foodstuffs. More importantly I feel is the weight lifting I am doing to significantly strengthen my muscles which in turn protect the bones. While I have the utmost regard for the medical profession I do sometimes think that we know our own bodies better and that medication that has unpleasant side effects  could be avoided for as long as possible. This is just my feeling and would never suggest stopping prescribed meds for others but can do for myself. Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Deryl

I have posted on the citalopram discussion regarding a calcium supplement with others, that may be useful. I like the 'I can do it myself attitude' Most of our Drs are too fitted into the system to have time to find out about what will really cure bone problems and as for side effects, I think that because there is a leaflet in the pill packet, they adbicate responsibility to us to find out for ourselves.

Best of luck

Aristotle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.