siatica pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've has siatica for 9 wks now.started in my right bum area and thigh now all fown my leg,back of my knee and my calf.Had an mri done which shows disc degeneration at the 3 lower lumber levels with disc bulges at L4/5 and L

3/4 plus L5/S1 disc protrusion on the right S1 nerve root.

on so much medication just to get through the day

Naproxen 500mg twice a day,co-codamol 30g/500mg 2 tabs 4 times a day,gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day,marol 100mg which id slow release tramadol 2 times a day.just started on amitriptyline 10 mg 1 a day at bed time and have diazepam 2mg for when need something more for the pain.This tends to get me through the day but not sleeping.haven't slept in bed now for 9 wks just getting maybe 2-3 hrs on settee before I wake again.having to use a walking stick to stand up with.I'm 44 with 2 kids age 13 and 11 yhe 13 yr old disabled so not easy on so little sleep.started physio at hosp who is trying acupuncture if that doesn't wirk looking at injections.

any suggestions....dont like taking so many meds but if I don't pain is excruciating

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am much the same but don't take lots of pain killers.  I have been doing exercises shown to me by physiotherapist at my hospital.  I also looked on utube and there are exercises there for sciatia and other back and leg pains.  They do hurt when you do them, but I think they are helping.

I have refused injections as when I had them in hip  before made things worse, but it was done by my GP and he admitted he did not put it in correct place.  At the hospital they will injection you properly.  Co-codamol gives me bad side effects, and so does Ibroprofen.  One injection  in my back many years ago did help with the pain, but it did come back after a time.  Definitely worth having if pain unbearable.  If I was you, I would give it a try.  At least you would get some relief.  You can't go on like this. 

If you can get some relief from the nerve compression you will feel better.  Sadly now we have the disc degeneration there is nothing to be done as it is something that happens to a lot of people as they age.  I have had back problems all my life. 

I do hope all the medication helps you.  Oh dear lack of sleep is awful especially if you have a disabled child to care for.  I really feel for you.

I do a chore, then rest for a while, and then do another, rest, and so on.  Not easy for you though.  I live alone so can take my time.  I was always active though and enjoyed walking and I am very frustrated that my mobility is now compromised.  Sciatica should clear up in time.  I have had it before, and known others with same problem. 

I would like to know if the acupuncture works out of interest.  Anything worth a try.  I am glad you are getting hospital treatment.  I have twice had physio at my hospital, last year had six sessions.  Don't feel I can ask again.  Managing with the exercises and supplements and paracetamol. 

I did try private treatment by osteopath but cannot afford it now.  You may find that helps.   

I recently had to buy a walking stick.  Much worse for you as you are young and have children to look after.  I am so sorry you are in so much pain. 

No you have to take the pain killers

• Posted

Of cause you can ask for physio again.why should you be in pain.It helps to know people understand the pain you are in.At the moment just lying flat on my stomach with head over the arm wirh heatpad on my back.just took my tablets so may get relief for a few hrs.

will let you know how I get on with the acupuncture x.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I've had a hearniated disc L5 / S1 now for 7 months. 8 Weeks ago I had a Nerve root block which left me in even more severe pain, so much so that i've not walked since. I can now manage aout 5 metres on crutches but that's about all I can stand as the pain gets too intense. 

I've had 3 sessions of Acupuncture, the first tester session gave me 2 days of good pain relief, the second longer session less so with only a few hours. I had my 3rd session (25 minutes with ten needles) on Wednesday and I was walking without crutches about the house! It doesn't last long though and when the pain kicks back in it almost feels worse. 

I think it's worth a shot as it's one of the few treatments available on the NHS that doesn't involve surgery or drugs. Go with an open mind but don't expect a miracle cure, every little bit of pain relief is good when you are at this stage. Even if you only get 2 hours of pain reduction it's worth it. My acupuncture is carried out by my physiotherapist as part of my NHS scheme. If you are having physio ask your therapist as most are trained to administer Acupuncture but won't necessarily tell you unless you ask. If you are getting a result after 4 sessions you can then get referred to a pain clinic for twice weekly sessions (ongoing) 

I'm 43, self employed with an 8 year old active child and a partner that works shifts. I've gone from the person in the home that did everything (cooking, cleaning, looking after the child, school runs, working full time 7 days a week) to someone who is now totally dependent on everyone else to do everything for me. 

If you are being offered Acupuncture take it straight away, don't wait because it's most likely that physio will not work on its own and you'll be in a worse state by the time acupuncture starts. You can then do the gentle exercises alongside the acupuncture that you physio gives you without causing even more discomfort (I know that is an odd word to use as if you are anything like me your pain is off the scale!) 

Have you tried a heat pad on your lower back and leg? I get some good comfort from heat. 

You may also benefit from using essential oils in a bath...here is a list that I grabbed from the internet...

German Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) – has analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.

Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) - has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties.  Good for neuralgia.

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) – has anaesthetic, analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.  Good for cooling inflamed areas.

Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) –  has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.  Good for neuralgia.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale) – has analgesic and antispasmodic properties.  It is quite warming.

Marjoram (Origanum majorana) – has analgesic and antispasmodic properties.  Helpful for muscle aches and pains.  A very relaxing oil.

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) – has analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.  Helpful for muscle pain and cramp.

Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) – tones the muscles and is one of my favourites to use in cases of sciatica.

Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) – has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.  Helpful for muscle spasms, sprains, strains, cramps, muscular contractions, lumbago, muscular aches & pains, sciatica and neuralgia.

(up to 10 drops in a warm bath) 

Other than getting good power naps (hard I know) and drinking lots of water there is not too much else out there. Some have had experience with inversion tables and other physio techniques. 

Hope things work out better for you than they did for me! 

Stay strong, we are a great support network here who will always lend an ear should you need help, encouragement and advice. 

Rachel smile

• Posted

Thanks BirdBrain

im . hanging in there. Sorry injection didn't work for you got my acupuncture on fri hoping for a small improvement. Pain seems to have shifted to behind my knee and calf still get it behind thigh but not as bad. Terrible behind the kner finding it hard to do even the 2 simple exercises the physio gave ne as hard to lie flst on stomach taking diazepam more often now as that seems to be the only thing really helping....

funny you talking sbout essential oils.my son in a special school and last thu had an aromatherapyist come and give us s talk on what oils are good for what.......thanks for that sue xx

• Posted

Hi Sue, how are you doing? Have you managed to get some good pain relief and rest this past week?  I hope so, as my week has been hellish!

Had my last trial acupuncture session on Wednesday which was actually quite painful where he positioned the needles in my back as my muscles are so tense from holding the pain for so long. Had a gruelling night where I felt like I couldn't go on anymore. It settled down though and by the Friday was feeling much better. Today has been a terrible day... pain off the scale again, I think I overdid it by going out for an hour on my crutches! I literally only went to a cafe and sat down for lunch but it was enough to flare things up, so again I came home and had another fit. 

So to cut the story short I am now on the official "waiting list" for acupuncture with my pain clinic and guess what? Yes, a ten week waiting list...way to go!! All this waiting drives me nuts, nothing seems to flow in the NHS, if they continued with treatment at a steady rate i'm sure 90% of us would be better and not have to face surgery or long term pain killers. 

Phew, sorry for the rant but i'm a little miffed that my physio has signed me off and told me there is nothing else they can do for me. They told me to sit it out for the operation (4 Months +++)

Well I hope you got some good results from the acupuncture. I'm really hoping that it's good news for you....you need something to help you through this. 

Take care, Rachel smile

• Posted

Hi Rachel

week was going ok untill friday when I had the acupuncture. Didn't hurt at the time but started not long after pain not just in back of knee but all over leg back and front . really bad night sat pain was unbearable, crying with the pain and everything went up a&e complete waste of time gave me 5ml of orimorph told me to buy a tennss machine as good for the pain and sent me home. to be honest Sunday nit too bad . husband did go and buy me a tens machine which I tried was ok but didn't do alot . went to docs mon and he prescribed me some orimorph to try and help with the sleeping.woke up ok on mon even poped to asda..had a sleep in afternoon woke up pain back and worse than ever now early hrs tues morning and still the same . unbearable. Feels like its never gonna go.

Its hard to know what to do for the best isn't it.do u carry on with the acupuncture or not.booked in again fri so I'll see what he says.its 2.30 am and im sort of half sitting half lying on settee in pain took all meds wishing my life away. Sorry for being so down but thats how I feel at the moment take care and hope you get relief soon

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue,

You poor thing, it sounds horrendous and beileve me i've had nights and days like those but it will improve. The acupuncture is stimulating your own system to repair itself so try a few more sessions. If after 4 sessions you feel like you are not getting anywhere then talk to your physio about it. 

My last session in the group of 4 eventually gave me the best result...initially it flared me up but after 24 hours things improved. This week i've gone longer between pain meds and i've felt more mobile in general. Now I have the 10 week waiting list to get a proper burst treatment of acupunture that will be twice weekly. 

For me tens is rubbish it just irritates me more than anything! I remember them trying to hook me up on that when I was in labour - I nearly threw the machine across the room!!! 

I've found that sleeping as much as I can helps calms things down....I go to bed late but I get up and make sure my daughter is ready for school at 7.30 then when she has been collected I go back to bed again, somedays I stay sleeping until 2pm in the afternoon! 

When I do go out which is only once or twice a week at the moment, I keep my walking very brief...no trips to the supermarket - that is done by my partner now even if he does come back with all the wrong things it's better than flaring things up!!! We may tae a short car trip to a local beauty spot and i'll stretch my legs walk a little with crutches and relax on a blanket in the sun for a while. 

Occassionally I pop to a cafe for a light lunch and that's my week! It all sounds very boring but it is the best thing for me right now. 

Hang in there, rest as much as you can...assign jobs around the house to friends and family and try to think that this won't last forever....I got better once before and I know both you and I can get better again. 

I'm here for you Sue whenever you need to vent or need support. 

Sending you positive vibes for a better week ahead. xx

Rachel smile

• Posted

Dear Birdbrain oh gosh what a long wait.  I waited months for physiotherapy at my local hospital 2 years ago, but last year wait was 5 weeks.  I had 6 sessions and was OK for a year, so it did help.  Everything on NHS seems to be a long wait, and it is so frustrating. 

I don't blame you for ranting. 

Take care

• Posted

Please make sure you have acupuncture with a practitioner who is registered with the British Council Of Acupuncture, they have all trained to degree level for 3 years ..... not just had a couple of weekends course as is the case with physios.  

Sciatic pain can be eliminated completely with acupuncture, not just a temprorary relief.  

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I meant to have replied to this a few days ago, but life has gotten in the way......

I too have/had sciatica, which really raised its' head in a big way in about  July 2013, resulting in permanent pins and needles/numbness in my right foot - I had a discectomy and/or decompression for  right sided L4/L5 disc in May 2014 - my surgeon commented in June 2014 that this 'paraesthesia' as he called it should go away with time, so called me back in in December 2014, and when he realised that there had been no change in my condition, referred me to the hospital Pain Clinic - I went there in March/April this year, only to be told that they only deal with post-operative 'pain' and not pre-existing conditions! - however, having said that, they have called me back in, although I have no idea what they think will come of it! - I was also referred by my diabetes nurse at my GP to a podiatrist at my local hospital, and the first question of me was why and who had referred me - my response was that it had been such a long time since referral that I couldn't remember, but if she told me a name of the referror, I would probably be able to tell her who it was, and that is when we both started singing from the same song-sheet; however, ultimately, this podiatrist appointment was a waste of time, both hers and mine, and she suggested that I ask my GP to refer me to  neuro-physiologist - when I mentioned this to my GP, he asked me if I knew what a neuro-physiologist would do/be able to do, and indeed whether I thought that the podiatrist would also know! Anyway, upshot of this conversation with my GP was that no further action was going to happen, other than my referral to the pain clinic - such is life, eh?

Back to topic! - when the paraesthesia took hold, I was in absolute agony, although the effect of the sciatica itself was bearable - I was put on liquid morphine by the paramedic/out of hours doctor who attended when this happened, along with naproxen (500mg x 2) amitryptyline (25mg) diazepam (2mg x 2) pregabalin (50mg x3) and paracetamol (1000mg x 4) daily; the liquid morphine was changed to zomorph (20mg x 2) - I was as high as a kite!!

I have now cut out the amitriptyline, paracetamol and zomorph altogether, and reduced the pregabalin, naproxen and diazepam to one dose a day, and having spoken to my GP, am about to reduce the diazepam further; however, my main point regarding naproxen is that my present GP, who is brilliant and who I have been with since all this happened, states that if anyone is on naproxen, they should also be on Omeprazole 20mg, as this is likely to reduce the gastro problems that can arise out of using naproxen - if you are not on Omeprazole, have a word with your GP (my previous GP didn't even think of this, by the way - another reason perhaps why I should have gone for him on the grounds of medical negligence - he actually suggested that himself!)

Other than this paraesthesia/numbness, I have no pain, and I am not sure whether this being pain-free is as a result of medication, (or whether they are having no effect whatsoever)

Very best of luck

Patient99

• Posted

Hi paitents99

Yes my doctor put me on omeprazol straight away although I have now come off the naproxen and take 400 mg of ibrupofen 3 times a day so instead of going 6hr with just the co-codamol I can have the ibrupofen in between so getting something more or less every 3 hrs.still in lots of pain but the oramorph helps too.went back to docs yesterday was in tears with the pain his now referred me to a surgeon.just a waiting game now xx

• Posted

I was put on Omeprazole and that is how I found this site because so many people have had a bad experience with it.  I did a yellow card because I was so bad taking it.  If you look on ther Omeprazole site you will see what I mean!  I am not trying to put you off, but my GP was not at all surprised when I told him what bad side effects I got with it. 

Sounds like it suits you which is good news. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear of such pain - I hope you get to see a surgeon without too much delay

Kind thoughts

Patient 99

• Posted

ive had sciatica on and off for 5 years. Its usually in my right leg to my ankle and its awful. this time got it in both legs . After trying accupunture with no success and other treatment . Had Mri scan which results are not a servere as yours.  they are hard to understand and my dr didnt really explain them. jus said try more physio see you in 4 weeks.

ive got a small bulge in l5 catching my sciatic nerve with a right side eccentriciy ... all i will say is hang in there   very painful. i was going to start running again even i dont know if its wise. best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.