Side affects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been put on Gabapentin for nerve plain in my feet after spinal fusion years ago , I'm worried about the side affects & will I put on more weight ? I'm hoping it will make me more mobile ? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks Karen

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there- I guess I am considered lucky because my only side effect is terrible bloating.  This is my 3rd month on it.  Sometimes I have to ease off of it a bit because of the bloating like I just did today.  I am on 600mg 3x daily.  I can't!  I can take half and have no issues.  After reading this blog there are so many issues I could be having.  Just my opinion.  It will make you sleepy first couple weeks on it.    

• Posted

I put on 2-3 pounds with the Gabapentin ...not as bad as other meds. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi I've been on this medication since 2011 and I did my research after putting on 4 stone. Unfortunately a lot of people tend to put on 2-3 stone. I'm on s high dose of 800mg 3 times a day. I think just be aware of your eating habits and if feeling hungry eat healthy although I don't recall feeling more hungry on this drug! It does for me slow my weight loss down as I have eaten healthy doing slimming world and lost 2 pounds and then I tried to do s shake dust type diet! I should have lost about 6 pound but again only lose two. I think each person is different but I work for the elderly and disabled people and most on this drug report a 2-3 stone gain in weight. Sorry to sound doom and gloom but thought I would reply to you, I'm due to have spinal fusion but now need to lose some weight to have this done ! Good luck hope it helps your psin! The alternative drug is pregsblin which doesn't have the side affect of weight gain as much as gabapentin. Xxxx

• Posted

Thank you I've just been told nhs not doing fusions anymore as they don't work 😁, not looking forward to this drug now I'm already overweight eating healthy but unable to burn calories off because I can walk far x

• Posted

I do not know which version of "healthy" eating you are following, but about 4 years ago a dietican helped me and I lost 20 lbs.  She put me on a low carb diet and it works.  I love eggs and meat/chicken ...so that is what I eat with salad and some veggies and a bit of fruit.  It helps that I do not like dairy products and I do not have a sweet tooth.  Loosing weight is very difficult and these drugs do not help...they seem to increase our appetites and slow down our metabalism.  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Karen I will try your diet too although I do like a glass of wine in the evening x
    • Posted

You can have your wine.  I like a glass of wine too....but now that I am on these meds I do not drink...too sensitive to the side effects of the meds
    • Posted

Omg really?! I'm already on zoramorph & oramorph & diazepam God help me lol x

• Posted

I was off all meds a few days ago.  The pain was tolerable.  I have started back on the Gabapentin...very low dose...I am very sensitive to the side effects.  I am also trying capraisin (sp?) cream...the stinging is no worse than the pain and I am hoping it will help.  Normally any new meds or increase in meds works for 2 days for me and then the pain is back. I want to get out of the cycle of increasing the meds every week.
  • Posted

High dose tend too put on weight I am on 9x3 300mg and I've put on 3 stone

The prof I saw said high dose of this drug for nerve pain put on weight

• Posted

I put on weight with Gaberpentin. I have reduced my dose to try and keep my weight down. I also eat healthy, fruit, veg, salad and very little meat, i eat pulses for protein. Its a battle to keep my weight down and i am waitng for an operation. I cannot walk far but still walk most days. I cannot do any inpact exercises so i don't think that is helping. Not everybody puts weight on, its different for everybody. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.