Side effects after 10 weeks, need some advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Fluoxetine for a little over 10 weeks( 4 weeks on 10mg and about 6 weeks on 20mg) I had awful side effects when starting and increasing my dose, mainly increased anxiety and depression. The side effects were slowly fading and I was having days where I felt normal and like my old self again. But about a week or so ago I started feeling awful again, like I was back at the beginning. I had some okay days in between but mostly for the last week and a half I've felt worse than before fluoxetine.

It could be just timing because I've had a lot going on in my life recently. I just moved and I miss my friends, I'm starting college in 2 weeks, and my mom's going through a hard time with some health related issues and it's been tough. It could be just the stress of all that catching up to me, but right now it feels like the fluoxetine isn't working. Is it normal for the side effects to last this long? Should I stick with it and see if the good days come back?

Also I took some tramadol for period pains around the time that this started and I made the mistake of looking up interactions between them and it turns out you're not supposed to take pain killers with anti-depressants. Even though I was fine the next day and I know it's completely irrational to think that taking it a couple times would make a difference I can't stop worrying that it somehow effected the fluoxetine. I'm sure it's just my own worry that's making me think that and making me feel worse but I just can't stop the negative thinking and what-ifs.

Sorry this was so long I just needed to rant and get this off my chest. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your clock may have started again when you increased six weeks ago. Give it a couple more weeks. It's definitely a roller coaster ride. But the good days should increase over time.

• Posted

Thanks that gives me some hope. it just feels like I've taken a giant step backwards and it worries me. But I really don't want to get off of it and start a new medication and go through the whole process again.

• Posted

Hi sarah,I'm on the same boat as you only higher dosage.i took 20mg for 4 weeks and now on week 11 on 40mg.....and around week 10 I started to feel back like I was on day 1......I've been feeling like this for about 2 weeks now...i asked my gp and he says on this med you go through ups and downs...to stick to it...remember the med are not miracle workers and we have to work at it too....rest..do exercise..be kind to yourself. Beleive me there's days were I feel I'm not getting better...but this forum keeps me grounded...I'm here if you want to chat.

• Posted

I'm feeling the same as you.

I'm 11 weeks at 40mg...and feel back on day 1,but this is how this will be a rollercoaster,just keep busy,ignore the anxiety..and it too shall pass.im always here if u need to talk.

• Posted

It's hard when you start feeling better and then out of nowhere the anxiety and depression returns. It feels like youre back at the beginning and will feel this way forever even though in the back of you're mind you know that's not true. I'm sure we will both get through it and come out the other side.

• Posted

Hi Sarah.  I agree with Cheryl that you may, in some respects, have gone back to the beginning when you started your increased dose.  I have had a similar experience to yourself, in that I have had periods where I felt like I was getting back to my old self and then I would have a day where I felt like I was back where I started.  For the most part, I've been able to identify that these "setbacks" coincided with something that stressed or worried me in some way.  You sound as though you have a lot to deal with at the moment, with your move etc. so I am not at all surprised that you are experiencing some bad days.  Things like moving, starting college and having concerns over a close relative are all stressful events.  If all of this is going on at more or less the same time, I'd be surprised if you weren't having any bad days.  This naturally makes you feel dispirited and, speaking from my own experience, I think this just fuels the depression and forms a vicious circle.  I have taken painkillers whilst taking fluoxetine and have not had any negative effects, although these have been confined to paracetamol or ibuprofen, which I think are relatively mild.  Do you see your GP regularly to discuss your progress?  Perhaps it would help if you discussed your concerns with your GP.  From my own experience I have found that the good days do come back, although I have found that it is a slow process, as my GP frequently points out.  I hope that this helps and that you are able to stay positive.  Take care. 

• Posted

Hi, how is everyone feeling, I am also going through a bit of a blip at 5-6 weeks! I have read that this is quite common but it doesn't feel like it when you're going through it!! I had a few good days last week and the week was okish but this morning hasn't been too good. Just trying to ride it out at the moment

• Posted

Yes, this normal. I felt much better the last three days and had a really good day yesterday but I feel pretty down again today. The good days do come back even though it doesn't feel like it at the time.

• Posted

I do hope so, It's rubbish isn't it! Can wait to get off this roller coaster!!

Hope you feel better tomorrow x

• Posted

How are you feeling now Sarah??  
    • Posted

Ive been feeling better than before, not great but better. I generally feel more positive. The depression is gone most of the time, and it's really only the anxiety I have to deal with.

How have you been feeling?

• Posted

I feel the same, I have been feeling so positive not depressed by really anxious.  It feels more like side effects than actual anxiety though as I feel I can't control it.  I just don't know whether to stick it out longer or go back to my GP?  I am now 7 weeks into 40mg.

• Posted

Yeah I'm not sure either whether my anxiety is the side effects or not. It's not really worse than before fluoxetine but it seems to be there more often. It does seem to be helping my depression and Ive had some really good days so I'm gonna stick with it.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your GP about it but I think you should stick with it. 7 weeks is still pretty early, it takes a long time for these drugs to get into system and for your body to get used to them. And you've said you've had some good days and that's a good sign that theyll work for you.

• Posted

In January, I decided to go off the 20 mg Prozac that I had been on for 23 years for panic disorder. I felt good for a while, but by April I was back to the panic and anxiety that I originally went on the Prozac for. (No, I didn't talk to my doctor when I went off. Dumb!) I went back on fluoxetine on May 1st. The good news....I'm now at 14 weeks on 20 mg fluoxetine. I had 12 weeks of nausea and morning diarrhea. Lost 14 pounds. Lived on Ensure Plus and Ginger Ale. Inside that 12 weeks I was hospitalized for panic attacks and extreme depression - worse than before I started on the Prozac. Eventually the anxiety and crazy thoughts started to subside. Finally...at 13 weeks, it all stopped. My bowel habits are back to normal. My appetite is back to normal. No anxiety or depression. I'm 100% now. Back to my old self. Yes...it was awful adjusting to the Prozac again but I am so glad I stuck with it. I will never go off the med again. Please be encouraged and hang in there everyone. All of the yuck will eventually pass and you will get your life back.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, it's lovely to hear that but I am really struggling at the moment! The first 4 weeks on 40mg were a breeze compared to the last two weeks, mentally I don't feel too bad but it's the shaking and physical systems that are getting to me. When did your physical symptoms start to die down? I did 3 months on 20mg before this and that was very patchy so was increased to 40mg. I'm just fed up with it now xx

• Posted

Do you feel mentally better than before fluoxetine? If so I'd say it's probably worth sticking with it and wait for the physical symptoms to subside. Maybe wait another month or so and see if it gets any better. If not you can always go back to your doctor and they can prescribe you something else. Different anti depressants work for different people. And sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right one.

• Posted

Milliemoo22: between 6 and 8 weeks into it was the worst. I just wanted to die. I ended up hospitalized for three days. The psychiatrist at the hospital added clorazipam to my regimen to get me over the hump. It helped a lot. By 10 weeks, I was doing much better. 13 weeks - awesome!
    • Posted

I'm into week 12 and week 10 -12 have been hell...not so much for the panic or anxiety but bevase of this head tension. That's killing me.....I've taken pain killers..mustle relaxers and nothing seems to work.My go says it's just tension headaches...so not sure if it's the flu...or me..or stress???but it's gets so bad that it spikes my anxiety....I'm hoping it will fade away soon.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.