Side effects first day escitalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

I,'ve been on off this med over past eight years. Started it ain today after one year off. The reason I am taking it this time is anxiety over IBS. Took half a 10 mg pill this morning. Problem is that the med´s effect worsens the IBS symptoms. Will this side effect wear off and eventually allow the med to break the vicious circle of anxiety and digestive problems? Anybody else with this problem?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana, yes this side effect is totally normal for some people, I've had ibs symptoms but this tablet helps mine! My stomach has settled but I also have anxiety and at the moment I feel loads better!

I started on 5, then 10 and I'm currently on 15mg which I've now been on 3 weeks! I suffer side effects with every dose change which is also totally normal!

Stick with it and all the best smile

• Posted

Susan, thanks so much for the words of encouragement just as

I am about to take my second tablet. It´s too bad that the very med one is taking to help with the IBS actually make it worse the first week or so. Can´t wait to get over the hump! How long did it take for your stomach to settle?

• Posted

You're welcome, it varied with me as I had been on citalopram first which didn't work for me and then switched to escitalopram in June and it's been much gentler! On 5mg and all upped doses I think from what I can remember just a few days , but I had other side effects but doesn't mean you will!

You are right it's crazy how the side effects can me it worse but it's only temporary and your body will get used to it! You're not alone, but I think it's a good tablet, just give it time, stay in touch, Sue

• Posted

This medication has helped me so much in the past with other anxiety issues, so I know it´s worth getting through the initial side effects. Starting day 3 now. Does anybody know if it´s ok take a tylenol for the all day headache?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.