Side effects from statins

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had major memory problems and confusion after my statins were doubled to 80mg. I have not taken any statins since the middle of March and am virtually symptom free from the effects. Wondered if anyone else has had this problem with atorvostatin..

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I was on 20 MG of atorvastatin for 6.5 months before I quit cold turkey. My symptoms were memory loss, confusion, vision, irratability, brain fog, headaches and balance issue's. It's been 7 weeks since I quit and am starting to feel better. Not 100 percent yet bur definitely better. Will never take them again. Diet and exercise for me. Hope it gets better in next month or two..

• Posted

Caroline,

How long were you taking them.

• Posted

Was on simvostatin 20mg,after diagnosis of early heart disease was put on atorvostatin 40mg. Was on simvostatin for years. Was on 40mg of atorvostatin for about 3 weeks then my doctor doubled it to 80mg as the hospital said  cholesterol needed to be lower. Their readings were from my simvostatin! I started losing it with 40mg. My family thought I had developed Alzeimers! At 80mg I lost the plot. I am a tutor and I lost 3 of my 5 pupils within weeks! I had some scary times and thenn just before my 59th birthday i googled the side effects! It's a  miracle I didn't die!

truly had got myself in dangerous situations. Wrote to my doc in March and he never replied and I have never been back to him! Over 3 stone loss and no statins ever again!

• Posted

Hi Caroline - my previous comment was moderated - I suspect because I listed a whole menu of probs with statins and commented truthfully about big pharma and its con job. I am a survivor of statins (Lipitor 80mg) for two years and what a mess it made of me. Hope you are feeling better and best of luck to you. It's a shame one cannot share totally on a site like this.

• Posted

I have tried to share, the page seems faulty. Every time I try the page goes into a fault and I get so far and the print disappears! I'm not fully recovered but so much better. It's time our doctors realised the damage of statins and the huge mistake of giving a 59year old woman who has lost weight etc and am 4'11" 80 mg of atorvostatin! 

• Posted

I didn't know anything was happening until I found I was going to be charged an extra $750 to attend a later in the year $950 seminar I had signed up for after being declared a no show for forgetting to say i would not be at the earlier in the year one.  The coup de gras was when I could not remember my bank account at my bank, where I had been a member for over 25 years.

I started looking into statins around this memory situation and found this site among others.  

They are gone.  Poison.  Never again.

• Posted

You do right giving up the statins. Memory and confusion are listed at the bottom on rare side effects!!! There should Be a health warning on them about serious  side effects as some  of the situations I got into were 

dangerous.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I was on Atorvastatin 20mg for about 6 months and quit cold turkey, couldn't take the severe side effects anymore. I had memory loss, headaches, vision issues, irratability, balance problems and the Dr's kept saying it wasn't the statin. I know it was as almost all symptoms have cleared up since I quit 7 weeks ago. I still have headaches from time to time and hope that clears up in next month or two.

• Posted

Yes I quit back in March and so much better. The doctors are mostly for statins and so convinced that the benefits outweigh side effects. In fact

my doctor didn't really believe my list of side effects and the confusion 

episodes were outrageous. The fact is I am over 3 stone lighter, happy

and healthy. I won't even go back for a cholesterol check as I won't take statins ever again!

• Posted

Until I see graphic proof that cholesterol actually is at the heart of heart problems I don't consider them a valid part of a heart healthy arsenal anymore.

From what I have read there's studies and proof that cholesterol reduction actually does not help with heart issues, that heart issues are caused by other factors and cholesterol is actually a very faint amount of remedy.

But I know how insidious statins were to my brain quickness and recall from memory.  Sucked, I was reduced to a zombie who couldn't think straight.  I wondered if I would be able to resume by electronics troubleshooting career, as you have to have a sharp mind for that.

And quality of life, which became very bland and not worth living.

If anyone has access to those studies about cholesterol really not being the culprit in heart issues, please bring them here.  I will if I can find them again.

• Posted

Once off the statin how long was it before you felt like your normal self again, I've been off 2 months and still feel a little off. Much better than 2 months ago but still not normal yet.

• Posted

In my case it was hard to say, because subtle things can fly right beneath your radar and you won't pick them up. I didn't know what it was I didn't know when I was not knowing it, because I was not aware that I was not aware of it. It took major missed events to show to me what the statins were really doing to my head. Like major appointments passing me by completely unnoticed until afterwards, when all I can do then is say "Wait a minute. I was supposed to be there!"

Or not being able to remember my bank account number, at a bank I had been at for 25 years.

I would give it another month and see how you feel.

• Posted

I'm in the uk. I can't explain as every time I try to text you it sends me back to your post and lose my post! 

• Posted

I was on crestor and lipator for about 7 years all up have been off them for nearly 2 and still waiting for the symptoms to go. And sick of the gp constantly sending me for bood tests i dont get and arguing with him about not taking them. I'd love to know what kickbacks they get

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.