Side effects of blood pressure medication?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 43 year old woman and was recently put on high blood pressure medication. This was after a few years of borderline high blood pressure and me telling my doc that I wanted to bring it down with exercise and diet. At the end of Jan, I had a headache that would not relent. Blamed hormones at first and then weeks go by with this headache that won't subside. After taking my blood pressure a few times at the pharmacy,it was quite high 170/110. I saw my dr two days later and it was again high at 164/110. He gave me a script for coversyl/perindopril at 8mg. My pharmacist tells me people normally start at 2mg. My blood pressure is down to normal but I feel horrible. My head hurts, my legs feel like dead weights. It hurts my legs to sit, terrible pain in my hips and down my legs. I'm exhausted too. I could sleep for most of the day and night if it weren't for this headache. Anyone else experience something like this? I'm so uncomfortable. Long weekend here in Canada so I can't call my doc until tomorrow. I have to get blood work in a few days and am scheduled to see him next week again. Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

kim43807...first of all, the headache may not be caused by your bp. You've started on 8mg Coversyl. When I first started Coversyl, I was started at 6mg, but I have the Coversyl Plus HD which contains a diuretic..I'm now on Coversyl Plus HD 8mg with the diuretic inside.

You could have a flu or whatever but you certainly can call your Dr office if you're still worried. I won't 2nd guess him/her but it could be suggested you give it a few more days, or wait 'til the bloodwork comes back & you attend your appt. next week. The key here is for you to try to relax as best you can. 

• Posted

Hey Kim,

hello from another Canadian. Your headache could be cause by something else. Even a sinus cold if you had been sick recently (especially with the cold that has been making the rounds since Christmas). Sinus infection can have no symptoms other than headache. So definitely mention that to your doctor. As for side effects from the BP meds, they can take weeks to subside. Mention Mavik to your doctor. I've been on it for the past 3 years and have very minimal side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.