side effects of Gabapentin?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was put on 300 mg of Gabapentin TID yesterday. I'm a clinical research coordinator who mostly deals with patients with diabetic eye disease. A large amount of my patients take this for diabetic neuropathy and I knew from hearing their complaints that this medication can cause extreme drowsiness. I decided it was best to take it at night for the first time. The drowsiness was noticeable, but I also experienced a burning sensation in my hands,fingers and feet to the point that it felt like I was on fire inside. Also, a very rapid heart rate that made me very uncomfortable. I'd been sitting for about two hours and checked my pulse to find it was 106 BPM. I also found that the numbness(all over) I was experiencing that led my neurologist to prescribe this was worse this morning. All of this is extremely concerning, and I haven't taken it again, but I was curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. Also, has anyone experienced a significant amount of weight gain? I know this is termed as a "weight-neutral" drug, but I've seen feedback on forums that say other wise. I also understand that this drug is known to cause fluid retention, which could lead to weight gain but I don't believe that would be very significant. Any feedback if greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't get any burning or numbness but I didn't get really bad headaches so I also decided it's not for me...I was put on Garapentin because of arthritis in my neck, back, hips, etc..My doctor wanted to start me on the injections first but I was scared to death so I asked if we could try something's else first and she gave me the Garapentin...Iill be seeing her for a follow up but i think I'll deal with the pain the old fashion way, heat pad, and hot baths...

• Posted

Did you have withdrawals when you stopped taking it? My doctor prescribed today for very achey legs and lower back and I've read all the withdrawals people have experienced and I'm scared to take it.

Also prescribed Lexapro and that scares me too. Any thoughts ?

• Posted

Hi Kristin.  I was on Gabapentin 1200mg/day  for nearly a year (for Fibromyalgia) and did not experience any of the symptoms you describe. (I don't think I would have continued if I had!)  I found the severe drowsiness improved after about a week, but I took most of my dosage in the evening so I could function during the day.  As far as weight gain goes - I didn't put on any weight - actually ended up losing weight as the drugs caused me to have gastrointestinal issues and nausea that affected me eating - the reason I chose to go off.

• Posted

I'm meant to send this replay to you and accidently sent it to someone else.

Did you have withdrawals when you stopped taking it? My doctor prescribed today for very achey legs and lower back and I've read all the withdrawals people have experienced and I'm scared to take it.

Also prescribed Lexapro and that scares me too. Any thoughts ?

• Posted

Hi Kim.  Yes, as I mentioned in another comment, the withdrawal going off this drug was awful.  I expected to have insomnia (because medication helped me sleep) and consequently, fatigue.  I was already feeling ill, but withdrawal added a headache that I had for 3 months. The thing that shocked me was how low my mood would go with each drop in dose.  I'm not a person who is prone to depression but I felt like living was too hard. Basically I felt really really unwell for the 4 months it took to go off, fragile in mood, anxious, exhausted with no motivation for life.   I have been off for 6 weeks now. smile The nausea is gone (even though my doctor insisted that Gabapentin would not be the cause), concentration is back, headaches are milder and much less frequent and I'm feeling much more energy for life - back studying and being physically active again.  And thankfully, those dark moods are a distant memory.  Never again do I want to go through something like that.  It was the first time I have ever been on any long-term medication and I intend it to be my last.  I still have the fibromyalgia tiredness, stiffness & aching body from activity, but I can put up with these things.  They are much more manageable than side effects of medication.

• Posted

I was just put on Gabapentin 300 (substituted for neurontin) about 3 days ago. The first day I took it was fantastic. I felt awesome, and my neuropathy pain in my feet went away considerably. The second day was a different story.

I took it later in the day and it seriously knocked me for a loop. EXTREMELY tired and I noticed my feet were really numb. I also found my hands were numb and I was getting shooting pain in random places on me. Like REALLY bad. I took one just a little while ago. Mind you I was feeling perfectly fine, but I took it as I was supposed to. Within 30 minutes, my hands up to my elbows went numb, feet numb and I absolutely HAD to take a nap. While falling asleep I'm noticing that I'm breathing pretty slow. Sometimes I stop. I'm halucenating like crazy.

I'm telling my doctor on Monday that I am NOT taking these pills anymore. My foot pain was bad, but its not worth all these side effects.

• Posted

I agree completely ! I took it that one time last night and I am terrified to even try again! I'm sorry that you are having difficulties. I know how uncomfortable being numb can be as I experience this all over and so far they've found no diagnosis for me. I can also add that I had shooting pain in my abdominal area lasting about 12 hours after taking this drug. I'm curious if this may just be too high of a dose too soon for me. In my opinion it seems a bit extreme for my size to be taking 300 mg tid. I'm 5'4 115 pounds!

• Posted

It could be too much, but from my research, 300mg is the LOWEST dose I've seen. I'm 6' 220lbs and 300 seems a bit much. Then again, my aunt is taking 300mg FOUR TIMES a DAY!!

I think doctors throw this drug out there thinking its a cure all. For some it works great, but for others.. not so much. I didn't want to take Lyrica for my neuropathy, because when my father took it, he gained a lot of weight. So I took this. Hopefully there is something else out there that will help with the pain.

• Posted

Hi Derek,

actually they do have a much lower dose of 100 mg., which would make more sense Kristinrenee given her size.

i DID gain weight...had terrble stomach issues and felt overall terrible. I was on for 300mg 3x daily for six months, asked my Dr. to lower my dosage to 100 mg. 3 times a day.

still continued with weight gain, fluid retention...on my way on a trip I broke out in hives! I went off of the gabepentan and my appetite has decreased once again.

im feeling like my old self before the gabepentin and I will never, ever go back on it. It's a terrible drug and I wish you all well. If you can manage please get off of this horrific drug.

side effects are terrible and even fatal. Depression is another side effect.

good luck to all!

• Posted

Thank you for your input Cassie, I am aware of the 100 mg dose and personally I think 100 mg QD would be more than enough combined with the .5 mg xanex I take each morning. After hearing the same feedback from multiple sources I truly think I'd be better of just giving up on neurontin though.

• Posted

Didn't know about the depression side effect. That's not good as I am already considered "clinically depressed".

Faaantastic sad

• Posted

I can verify that Gaba. contributes to depression. I had been taking it 4 years ( for RLS my Dr. Prescribe for )  and now that I am almost off of it....my depression has lifted !! 
    • Posted

For me, Gabapentin did not cause any depression, and seemed to improve my mood (probably due to sleeping better), however going off the drug was a nightmare and with each drop in dose I was hit with depression and anxiety that completely took me off-guard.  But makes sense if it has an effect on seratonin levels.
    • Posted

Lowest dose that I know of in capule form is 100 mg.  Are you talking about liquid dose  being lower ? Do they make gaba. in tab form? If so how low ?

• Posted

I had been on gabapentin for 4 years until just recently I decided I could no longer tolerate the adverse side effects. Was taking dosage of 900 to 1200 mg/day.  Now I am down to less than 100 mg/day.  I feel so much better now. My mind is clearer, no more dizziness and balance problems.....I was having agitation and anxiety......all the bad things !  I'm sure you have read of the multiple adverse effects in the literature concerning it. Anyways since I have been taking it for 4 years it's takingme  time to taper off, but I am doing it. Been about 9 weeks now getting down to 2  50mg/ per day....In another couple months I expect to be off it fully. It must be a very powerful drug since 300 mg/day is considered low.....but I have my doubts about what low is.......anyways , my advice to you is to not take it at all.  Since you indicated you only took it for a day or two.....you can get off immediately without any withdrawal hopefully.   Good Luck.    regards,  Jim B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.