SIDE EFFECTS OF METHOTREXATE USED DURING ECTOPIC PREGNANCY

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.. I'm newbie to this forum.. I'm John from Philippines.. My wife is diagnosed as ectopic pregnancy. The baby is just a 1 week and a half.. So as per the dr. said that she just need to take the methotrexate (injectable) every 2 days with 4 sessions.. And now my problem is the side effect of the methotrexate.. My wife is suffering from inflammation and bleeding in the mouth, rushes and red spot at the back, slight internal bleeding in her foot.. It's so hard for her to eat and to drink.. So we had our follow check up and the dr. said that she needs to take Vitamin C (i dont know if Vitamin C will help to reduce the methotrexate's side effects. Do you guys have any idea how to cure or how to reduce the side effects of methotrexate.. PLEASE! sad sad

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good morning John.  I'm very sorry to hear your news.  On top of which you have methotrexate side effects to deal with.  I would suggest that your wife takes a good pharmaceutical strength pro-biotic, to help restore her natural immunity.  Fortunately the methotrexate symptoms are short lived.  make sure she takes some folic acid (usually 5 mg per day ask your Dr how long for), as this protects the kidneys from damage.
    • Posted

Thank you so much lucynewas.. Ok i wil ask the Dr. about the folic acid.. Is it good for her to eat many fruits and fresh juices? Thank you again lucynewas. I appreciate it so much.
    • Posted

Hi, I would definitely ask the doctor for folic acid. I take my injection once a week and on every day, except my methotrexate day, I take 10mg of folic acid. The ulcers right at the back of the mouth are awful, I couldn't  eat properly for days. Wishing you and your wife, plus new baby, all the best for Christmas and the New Year from the UK
    • Posted

Fresh food is great - expect her hormones and mood to be all over the place.  she can PM me if she'd like to chat - I'm on methotrexate myself anyway but have similar experience, so can empathise.
    • Posted

Thanks 1 hand works.I'll ask the Dr. first. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also. Thank you so much!

• Posted

Do you have any facebook account? Can you please pm me your account so that i can send her pictures to you? She has internal bleeding in her foot (just a small part). Are you experiencing inflammation of the mouth, red spot's/rashes? Are you taking folic acid's too? Sorry if i ask too much just wanted to help my wife to get over with the side effect of the methotrexate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.