side effects of zopiclone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came off fluoxetine 5 months ago very suddenly and the doctor gave me zopiclone to help with the sleep problems .I was taking half a 3.5mg table tzopiclone  every two nights or so and have been doing ever since I felt terrible from the fluoxetine withdrawal for about 3 and a half months and then it started getting better. . Then about 4 weeks ago I suddenly started feeling really awful again - really tired and headachey and generally like I've got flu, to the point where I have had to take time off work. Could this be down to the zopiclone? I didn't take it alst night and felt terrible this morning - very overemotional, but then at lunchtime it suddenly lifted. It's strange that I started to feel better and then suddenly plummeted again. I'm starting to get really desperate now - I just don't knwo when it's all going to end.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I'm not familiar with those drugs, so I don't know what is causing your distress, but after so long being off it, maybe it is the flu or something. If you felt better after lunch, maybe your blood sugar was really low, which can mimic anxiety and depression.Try eating fruit or drink orange juice every couple of hours. Don't skip meals even if you don't feel like eating, and see if that helps. Some meds cause poor appetite, and that can bring on hypoglycemia. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Chochka yes it could very well be the zopiclone I was on it for a few months and went through hell. I cold turkey from it. Not a very nice experience but I git off it I felt really dreadful on it and the side effects were awful. I just decided to stop it. Search out the threads on here and you will read some ppls experiences of zopiclone. It's a really evil drug. I am now off it a couple of months and tho my sleep is not good I am feeling so much better. Research on the Internet the side effects. It's nit recommended to stop taking it suddenly I tried halving the doses even quartering them but I ended up bk on the full dose. So for me I just had to stop them cold turkey. Best thing I did tbh

Other members will hopefully reply to you on here. I wish you the very best. Look up the Ashton method of tapering. All the best Caroline

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Caroline, it was very helpful. I thought I would pass something on as it might be helpful to you. I had a dreadful day yesterday with waves of intense anxiety building up over the afternoon. I ended up taking some I theanine that a friend gave me as it is supposed ot help you relax. After an hour or so I did start feeling better and I actually slept for about 5 hours and woke up feeling sleepy rather than really tense. I don't know if it was the I theanine or whether I am just getting voer it but I thought i would pass it on just in case. My firend uses it to sleep and says it works really well for her. 

All the best for your recovery too, and thanks again for the post.

• Posted

Hi Chochka never heard of thiamine. What is it? I had major anxiety think.am pretty sure the zopiclone withdrawal was the reason. I am taking valerian at night and doing more exercise

Sleep is still.pretty elusive but I am actually feeling OK in myself even when I get hardly any sleep I will never again take a hypnotic drug for sleep they really messes up your brain anything that changes your central nervous system is nit a good thing in my.opinion. So glad to be off them best thing I Ever did. Good luck on your journey xc

• Posted

Really glad to hear you slept without the zopuclone. I think too much emphasis is placed on the take a pill and it will fix you society we live in these days.too many ppl buy into this and then the side effects are treated without drugs and their side effects treated with more drugs and so it goes.... It's herbal for me from now on...xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline. Glad to hear you're feeling better - I'm still feeling horrendous. Really drowsy all the time and foggy brain. Headaches too. Although I am sleeping ok. I've got two weeks to finish a big paper for my PhD and I can barely think. I'm so panicky about it - I don' tthink I'm going to manage it. Every so often I have a few hours when I'm ok and if I'm at home and not at work I desperately start writing. You write that zopiclone is a hypnotic drug - what does that mean? I'm scared I've ruined my system for ever and I'll never feel better. Sorry if this is so garbled - I really cannot think straight at all. 

Theanine is an extract from tea and you can get it in pill form in health food shops. It really does help me with anxiety. I had really bad waves of it when I came off the zopiclone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.