Sigmoid colon removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello my name is Patty I had my colon resection done 10 inch of sigmoid bc of diverticulitis attacks on Aug 30 2016 .I need to know did anyone have rectum pressure lieing sitting and going to bathroom all day long also having pressure with urine its so annoying and painful. I also would like to know did your bowel change consistency and texture. And still going to bashful enemy ifs for a little 4x in half hr at times .I also have abdominal pain hiw long does it take to feel better.Thanks Patty

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes to the pressure and it is uncomfortable to say the least. I had more than a foot removed and a horrible fistula repaired, etc. it does get better! I a. Now almost 4 months out and things are so much better. Was in hospital a month and had c-diff on three or four different occasions in hospital and home. Was very septic. Takes time to recover. Watch spicey and chew well. The whole experience was a nightmare, but it does improve over time.
    • Posted

Thank you I am glad your feeling better I am trrying to do eveything that's best no spicy food yet .Did you eventaually have better bowelments wirh out all this pressure .when did you habe, your surgery

• Posted

My surgery was May 13 and I was told to would take me 12 weeks to recover. I am about 12 weeks now and feel good. Life will probably never be the same, but it is not that difficult now. I could not sit comfortably for more than an hour at the very most for probably a bit ore than two months. Will never be able to eat a lot of things like Mexican food or raw veggies, nuts, etc. the only thing I really miss are berries, especially blueberries. It will get better and I believe only time will heal you. 
    • Posted

TWhy did you have to get the surgery done.Sometimes I think I moved to fAt to my decision I had diverticulitis was hospitalized two times and was treated at home within the year I believe my diet and stress cause this I should have thought about it and try to change that or before having surgery but they were telling me what is the county for surgery it was a possibility if I wait to have a perforated bowel.I just hope my life will be fun love food and drinks ut only time will tell is this what jappen to you .I wake up and have liquid bowel all the time doea that get better
    • Posted

I had multiple perforations (abscesses), plus a good awful fistula(hole) into vagina. I was terribly sick but had no idea I had diverticulitis as I had not been experiencing pain, etc. until I was VERY sick. You will drink and ear again. It just takes time and probiotics are a good idea. You can see what others say but I my surgeon told me to take Probi for at least a year.
    • Posted

Dear Kathy Thank you so much for all the information you are giving me my surgeon was not the best at the end I do have a lot of pain in my incisions and I have a humongous hematoma that leaves from my right side down to my vagina area which is severe swelling stopping my urine and I pray that things will get back and hearing your positive, comments I know it takes time but if you can just let me know does your bowel system come back because I really don't go to the bathroom much I just have constant pressure and you are in is very difficult to pass I see the doctor tomorrow I really appreciate your input thank you so muchPatty

• Posted

Patty, the hematoma sounds horrible and I am glad you are going to doctor tomorrow. Incision pain should be getting better. Did the do huge incision or were they able to do lapracpically? Your not being able to urinate is a problem. Be sure to discuss all issues with Doctor. Don't think doctors understand how scarey this recovery process is. You will straighten out in time. If you are going to often, I.e. 6 or more times a day you may want to take Imodium. This takes about 12 hrs to start working for me. Then I take one more and that is it. Then I don't go for a few days. I don't think anyone is the same, you need more help from doctor or nurse re hematoma and urine problem for sure. 

• Posted

Kathy you went through allot soory to hear that I do take probiotics and fiber everyday I had the surgery 2 weeks ago I think what's having problems with my hematoma that swallon and the pressure from my rectum my are very little and you can see no solid sometimes I do get constipated but I have to put a warm compress because of the pressure in my rectum I hope that goes away I know it will take time people I talk to you tell me that they feel bette I know it takes time you're saying you had all that work and you're starting to feel better I know there's hope at the end I just want to live life happy and feel good that's why I went with the surgery . Thank you so much God bless you and I hope you feel better if I have any other questions thank you for being there to answer them for me only we know how we feel surgeons have never experienced this thank you so much

• Posted

Patty, two weeks out I was so sick and my guts were truly a mess. I had forgotten how bad it was. Do not worry, just be good to yourself, and in a month or two life will be so much better. Doctors do not realize what we go through unless they too have had DD.
    • Posted

No, I don't work. I could not have for at least two months after surgery. You need to be better before going back to work.

• Posted

Hey Patty, I am 23 weeks out from having 10.5" of my sigmoid colon removed.  I also had emergency surgery and 6 days later because of the resection leaking.  Ended up with an ileostomy for 8 weeks, surgery then to take it down and another emergency surgery because adhesions had grown around bowel and caused a blockage.  Lost my eliosecal valve that time.  I can only speak for myself and tell you what I think will happen to you.  You will get better but it does take time.  Be patient and be good to yourself.  Eat food as you can tollerate.  If there is something that you love try just a small amount and see how it affects you.  Sometimes you will do well and sometimes it will cause diarrhea.  A little immodium will help control that.  I was told that it will get better with time so I'm still patiently waiting.  I think it will take probably the better part of a year to get back completely but I really think we will get back to almost normal.  I do think we will always have issues with certain foods and we can eat them in small quantities and do fine but will probably have to keep the immodium close by.  I have eaten a particular food one day and it not bother me at all then eat it again and it will send me running.  Our bodies are funny things but I really do think they will find an amost normal in time.  

I do have issues with pressure but when I've finished I will just sit on the commode for a few minutes and try to relax before I get up.  I find that it help if I do that and the pressure is usually subsided by the time I get up and I have no further issues.  Try not to get constipated.  It's not good for your colon.  I haven't had any issues with constipation but I have had issues with swelling of the colon and that makes it a little difficult to pass stool.  Just try to relax and rest as much as you can.  It will take a while to recover.  It was 12 weeks before I came back to work after my last surgery.  I feel really good now.

Keep your chin up and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hello Lucy Iam so lad ir feeling better I am 3 weeks post-op I do have a lot of pressure I don't have the diarrhea I just get very shreddy stools very little multiple times during the day how do you know what goes with you I do have Domino pain which I don't know if that's from the incisions I did have a laparoscopic. I wanted to know how did you know and what did you feel that you need that you were leaking and how much water do you drink and what do you drink during the day I have a huge hematoma on my right side that leads down to my pubic bone that is swollen which is causing pressure on my bladder which they believe that the pressure in my rectum is from the so I don't know things are just sore a little complicated but I just want to get back to life I hope doing this makes my life better than what it was with diverticulitis when you never knew when you were going to have an attack

• Posted

You are far enough out that you probably won't be leaking.  Mine came 5 or 6 days after the colonectomy.  I had gas gather in my chest cavity and the pain was so intense that I couldn't get my breath.  The gas from the bowel was collecting in my chest cavity and it felt like my lungs were being mashed.  When the found the hugh gas pocket in my chest they didn't do anything except RUSH and get me to surgery.  

My surgery couldn't be done laproscopicly due to adhesions from previous surgeries.  But just from other laproscopic surgeries the pain at the incision sites will linger a while.  It will also cause swelling.  They have to get in there and move things around and our bodies don't like that very much.  The pain will get better and things will get back to normal soon but I know every day seems three days long when you are waiting to feel better.  Take advantage of the opportunity to be off from work and lay around taking it easy.  It will be over before you know it and you will be wishing for those days again.  

I drink lots of liquids.  Plenty of water but usually what you want to drink.  Don't force a lot of water if you don't want it.  It can make you sick or it did me.  When that happened I would drink other liquids.  Just pay attention to drinks that can cause gas.  

I still have pressure in my rectum and not sure what is causing it so I just sit there after I have finished and let things get back to close to normal then get up and go about my day.  

Find a good book to read or programs on the tv or other ways you can pass the time.  I have a coloring app on my tablet and I do coloring.  It is called stress releif and I still do it.  there are lots of free apps for this sort of thing.  Above everything else, take care of yourself.  

• Posted

Thank you so much I hope you feel better also,I do lay around and eat small meal I do get nervious bc I tried Kiwi and watermelon I dont know if this gas pains I have Or just my incisions coming together .I dont have diarrhea but at times no bowel .I have so much pressure from this big hematoma in my pelvic and on my right side I had an cat scan said my bladder is very big.I seeing urologist tomorrow my doctor that did my surgery for my bowels thinks that the pressure in my rectum may be coming from all the swelling I dint think so bc I dint have normal bowels yet so I just hope all goes well thank you so much for all your information I hope you continue to feel better God bless
    • Posted

Hello Lucy I hope things ate going well with you I wanted to ask you if you had any of these I started getting severe painful gas causing abdominal pain did you take anything if you had gas I am still have irregular bowel movement to nothing to little to mucus .I am going to talk to my Dr but just wanted to see if you had any of these symptoms. Thanks Patty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.