Signs of autism in my 1 year old?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone

my son is 14 months old and I believe he is showing signs of autism. I really want someone else's opinion.

signs are

he flaps his arms

he has no interest in other children 

he doesn't point or wave but he does clap.

he won't look at something I point to. Only my hand.

he has an obsession wheels or anything that spins/goes around

he hasn't said any words besides mama which he does not say to me directly.

he is obsessed with a certain channel which he has watched since about 6 months..will not watch anything else like CBeebies etc

hes a very fussy eater. Very fussier with textures.

he does now look me in the eyes but that's a new thing as he never used to.

he doesn't respond to his name, he will ignore me completely.

he was sitting up early though, crawled at at 9 months and walked at 12 months.

he does laugh and smile when being tickled or being chased.

there is no imaginative play. Doesn't respond to toys like phones etc. He does know what a cup is and how to use it.

what does everyone think?

its all starting to worry me now. And he gets older he doesn't  seem to be doing things he probably should be doing for his age.

i know he's young still and he might pick things up yet but it's still worrying. Need an outside opinion.

thank you 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hannah, not to make light of your situation, I wouldn't worry just yet (and I have no business giving you advice lol).  In my heart I feel my 18 year old daughter has Asperger's.  Funny thing is I didn't connect the dots until last Dec.  My daughter did all the things she was suppose to do and until she started school, she was developing slowly, but she  was developing.  She has a genetic disorder so has been in Special Ed. her entire school life.  She is very high-functioning.  Don't put yourself through too much with worry.  Don't worry until you have to I always say. The best of luck to you and your son.

• Posted

Hi Hannah, I don't know much about this (my daughter was only diagnosed last year at the age of 21), but it might be helpful to start keeping a diary of dates, concerns, milestones reached when etc. What you wrote is exactly the stuff they will ask you at an autism assessment in the future if it proves necessary to have one, and it will be really helpful to be able to look back on a written record. In the meantime, mention your concerns to your health visitor and look up the development milestones that your child should be reaching and make a note of when he/she reaches them. It may be nothing, but a diary will help in the future if it is something. All the best.

• Posted

You are so right.  A journal/diary from the past help sooooo much.  I have enough notations written from the past and what I remember that I am moving forward as far as I can.

• Posted

Yes I think you should have him tested now... I have worked with people that have developmental disabilites and autism for the last 15 years. "he flaps his arms"..when he's happy or excited? "he won't look at something I point to. Only my hand."..will he look you in the face, in the eyes or refuse and/or look away? Does he notice when you leave the room or come back in? These are part of the testing process. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Hannah

It is still very early days, I'm wondering if someone has "suggested" the possibility that your son maybe autistic?  What does your GP say? Have you discussed this with any medical professionals?  Perhaps double check his hearing and eye-sight to start with, and if that's all clear, then perhaps have a discussion with your GP and you may find that the GP can refer you to the necessary services to seek medical diagnosis.  On saying that, Mother's intuition is never wrong, so follow through and know that early intervention can make a world of difference for you and your son.  

Blessings from Oz. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.