Silly question 2

Posted , 3 users are following.

sorry, should add that I can accept I probably have some COPD (brought it on myself with smoking didn't I). but if so it has never caused me symptoms (breathless, frequent chest infections etc)  so why is this being assumed to be the cause of my polycythaemia?

sorry if I'm rambling.

j

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessie. When I had my cat scan it was then I was diagnosed with COPD. All my other tests were fine. I had many tests but the only thing confirmed was the COPD so that is why my final diagnosis was secondary Polycythemia. I dint know what tests you have had but sounds like you don't meet the criteria fot primary Polycthemia?

• Posted

Hi ellen. Thanks for the reply. I quite agree with you that what I have will be probably be dx as secondary p.eventually.  I was wondering though why a doctor would make an assumption of copd being the underlying cause before testing.

There is no answer to it, just my doc I think !

Hope you are doing well.

j

• Posted

Polycythemia is not that common. I personally feel a lot of Doctors are not experienced it this particular disorder. A Hemotologist is. A firm diagnoses can't be determined until all the testing is complete. My diagnoses took months before I was ruled out for primary Polycythemia. The only test which was the cat scan were COPD was evident thus being the secondary Polycythemia. Process of elimination. I do hope you see a Hemotologist. Hope this helps Jessie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.