Simple remedies for mucosal prolapses

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a full rectal prolapse four years ago and the surgery wasn't very successful, I am still as frequent and suffer great mounds of unpleasant, unwelcome mucus every visit, but recently looked up what sort of diet would at least help combat some of the mucosal effects, which were disturbing, if like me you love things like coffee, dairy and bananas, (cheif culprits) you won't want to exclude these from your diet, but some of the foods listed were, pumpkin seeds, so I try to have one or two pumpkin seed cereal bars daily (available from Holland and Barrett), pineapple juice, so I try to have a good long glass daily, chamomile and honey, so I hit the cham and hon tea twice a day at least, and other than that anything with ginger in or onion, which the latter I don't really have a liking for unless in cooked food, but with this regime, over two weeks my mucus production has limited, so I just wanted to put this out there in case it might help similar sufferers.  Mucosal prolapse is a known disorder of the bowel, it was probably how surgery left me, and I was not told of it in four and a half years, so as I said to the medics I was under, please use the correct terminology from the onset, it is so important to the patients to be kept informed of what they are dealing with, I sure no one would disagree with this, but anyway, the diet details are here in case they are of any use, with best wishes, Fiona

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

To simplify:

Pumpkin seed ( available in cereal bars amongst other products)

Pineapple or pineapple juice

Chamomile and honey tea (or honey in other forms)

Ginger (either raw in things like curries, and numerous products from places like H&B)

Onion, either raw or cooked

• Posted

Hi, Fiona sorry you had rectual prolapse. I know what you know mean about the mucus, I had rectual stump removal 4 years ago, 3 years before that ilestomy operation. I hope you get better
    • Posted

Stephaney, you won't find anyone more cynical about diet and often unprepared to make changes than myself but trust me, if your having mucosal problems, the foodstuffs i mention really do help, at least they did me, but i realise we are all different but it may be worth a try ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.