Simvastain and anxiety and depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Started on 20mg daily december 2012, shortly afterwood was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Have just been reading the side effects last week and found that this could be the reason of the depression. Started anti depressants but they didnt help much, still on the statins and cannot come off them because im a type 1 diabetic with raised cholesterol. The consultant didnt give me a choice, just put me on them and said i had no choice and would be on them for life as a prophalyatic dose.

I feel terrible and irritable all of the time, feel like im going crazy

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim

The simvastatin your taking is definitely causing the depression, it is one of the many side effects of any statin. Having type 1 diabetes and high cholesterol does NOT mean you have to take statins for life.

Could you please tell me your age, cholesterol level and if you have any heart problems?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Tim,

The lest your doctor could do would be to try another statin to see if it has less side effects. Often doctors only do things when asked. It's worth a try.

At the end of the day It's you body and your life. No doctor can actually force you to do anything, all they are doing is advising. The final decision is always yours.

• Posted

I like Sony and duncanheenan's response. It is funny because I never looked intot he side effects of the Simvaststin I was on (20mg then just recently 40mg). Until talking with Sonya I was like, "HEY YES I DO HAVE SOME ACHES AND PAINS" I just write it off as turning 40 and stuff like that happens. However reading forums like this, I am thinking maybe it's not a age thing.

Afterall I do run 5Ks 10mile races so it's not like I sit on the couch. To duncanheenan' question, see if your dr can try something different. If not, see a new dr.

Godd luck bud!

• Posted

Could you please tell me your age, cholesterol level and if you have any heart problems

Age 41

HDL: 1.1

LDL: 3.0

TRI: 1.6

TOTOAL HDL 4.4

No heart problems or any other problems apart from being IDDM since 1985

• Posted

Hi Tim

If the levels you've given are from before statins then you shouldn't be on them or are they current levels while on medication?

Sonya

• Posted

These levels were pre statin, a few people have told me that with levels like these i shouldnt be put on statins.

Going to see Gp to have medication r/v

• Posted

I cannot believe you have been prescribed simvastatin, the NHS guidelines are for doctors to consider prescribing statins if a patients cholesterol is above 5.0 and even then it's not always prescribed.

I can now totally understand why you are suffering the side effect of depression, you brain is being starved of cholesterol. I'm also amazed you don't have muscle and joint pains.

My recommendation would be to TELL not ask your GP that you no longer wish to take statins for a period of 8 weeks to see how your depression goes, also stop any anti depressions, I guarantee you'll see a marked improvement within a week.

I took myself off statins 8 months ago after experiencing so many side effects, the worse one being depression, even suicidal thoughts. Within a week I was on the mend and can now say I'm totally back to my old self.

Our brains need cholesterol and when the level is low it causes memory loss, depression etc

You could even stop taking them independently, nothing bad will happen and once you see an improvement you'll feel more confident in having the conversation with your doctor as you'll have proof that the issues you have are caused by your statins.

Some doctors feel that diabetics should automatically be placed on statins with a level of 4 and above but it's not the case.

Your body is telling you something is wrong, please listening to it.

Please keep in touch on how you're getting on

Sonya

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to suggest taking the supplement Co Q10 you can get it from any chemist or health store, Co Q10 is an enzyme that our bodies need and statins stop the production of this, by taking this supplement your recovery will be a lot quicker.

Start with 200g a day and as you improve you can lower this to 100g

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much, thought I was going crazy. It has nearly destroyed my life, my marriage has nearly broken down and I'm at my wits end.

Going to see diabetic nurse at my GP' s next week with this info. Nobody once spotted this at my GP' s in over a year. Plus nobody has even bothered to check my lipid levels since I've been on the bloody things. The diabetic consultant obviously doesn't talk to my GP. I'm so mad if this could have been avoided.

• Posted

As a sort of post script...I went to my GP recently as part of the treatment for depression I am on (which is beginning to work at last, halleluja!). He had changed my statin form Simvastatin to Atorvaststin, but \O told him I would not take any statins at all until my trweatment for depression was complete, so that when I went back on to them, I would know whether any side effects were due to the statin or not. He said that was a good idea and confessed that he was thinking of changing his own statin from Simvastatin, as his family were complaining that he had become very grumpy lately. 

Doctors do listen sometimes, but you have to be honest and assertive without getting aggresive. 

• Posted

You're welcome, there are thousands of us who have gone through what you are, just google " statin side effects forums' and you'll see you're not alone.

Stop this toxic medication from ruining your life.

Good luck and keep me posted

Sonya

• Posted

I've been following this info. I've just started the simvastatin. I've notice I cry all the time and I feel like my heart is racing. I have a dr appt tomorrow. I will not be taking this med again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.