simvastins to astorvastines

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking simvastatines for over 15 years 40mg all of a sudden without the doctor saying I received atorvastatins this morning 40mg . Why the change  ---first I think the doctors should tell their patients of the change. Reading about these Atorvastatines if you ae taking 10 -20 mg of Simvastatins they may put you on these because they are stronger, at a lower dose. I have been given the same dose so am I exceeding the dose now.?????? I cannot call the doctor to day as it is training day they say they are closed ----- I came from another area and our Doctors were never closed for training as hey did it out of the hours for an hour.I have telephoned the chemist but they want me to call the Doctor. So now I am not taken any until I know if they have prescribed the right tablets.

Has amy one else been changed onto these and maybe able to help me.

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They cost the same so it is not a cost saving exercise. Anyway it will not harm you not to take any for a few days. Presumably after 15 years you must be one of the fortunate ones not to suffer side effects.
  • Posted

HI KAREN-its ROY-cant answer your question but wouldd like to say that i have decided to defy my G.P -HAVE STOPPED TAKING my 40mg simvastatin for a week now and taking a chance and giving them up permanently and do you know what ?--no pains and sem to feel better without them -maybe its wrong but i am willing to take the gamble-
    • Posted

Funny I took myself off three lots of pain relief tablet and I explained the to the doctor I was going to do this. I did it slowly last year and guess what I am not better or worse without them. I may do the same about these too. I really think in this country they rather give one tablets than find the problem. Good Luck
    • Posted

Karen is obviously one of the fortunate majority who can take statins and benefit without side effects just like my GP.  
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Atorvastatin is a stronger Statin than Simvastatin, and you are right you should have been told about change. because it's a stronger statin it's usually prescribed to patients as a replacement to Simvastatin if side effects are occur.

Atrovastatin is usually prescribed at a lower dose due to it being stronger, if a patient is taking Simvastatin 40mg they usually change to Atrovastatin 20mg.

i would refrain from taking them until you get an explaination from your doctor.

i also agree with Derek that you must indeed be extremely lucky not to suffer any side effects.

• Posted

By "received" do you mean you took the script to the pharmacy and discovered it was for a different medication?   Could just be a mistake?

Anyway by the time we've all read this you will presumably have your answer from the doctor who is the only one who can tell you why it was changed

• Posted

I took Simvastatine 40mg for three days and on the morning of the fourth i was in tears of pain as I walked into the emergency room of the hospital that had operated on my heart a month before (four bypasses).

I was experiencing severe muscle pain inside my left shoulder: every breath i took, it elicited the pain. In fact, i was in pain even without breathing.

I was also experience strong pain simply walking of laying down on my bed.

The ER of the hospital diligently performed all the exams to eliminate the worst case possibilities i.e. trombosis, embolia, to check if my heart was working correctly, blood tests, while in the meantime about sevent doses of morphine could not yet reduce my pain.

At the end, the hospital could not point me to the cause of the pain. it was suggested to me to go back to my family doctor to agree on a  physiotherapy program.

I left the ER with a cocktail of pain killers which barely alleviate the pain. In the meantime, since my visit to ER two days ago, the muscular pain has moved around my upper body, always linked to breathing, but at times invoving both shoulders, the neck, the chest, and the lower torso (amazingly the left shoulder that took to tears is now fine).

I stopped yesterday taking Simvastatine and hope that it was the reason for this quite painful experience.

To conclude, i also want to mention that before Simavastatine i was taking Crestor rosuvastatin 20mg. After three days of taking Crestor I experienced a strong pain under my right cheeck bone, as if I had a root canal infection. I stopped taking Crestor and the pain went away after two or three days.

Hope this helps anybody.

I   

• Posted

It fdoes sound as if you are having particularly strong reactions to statins:  that level of pain isn't uncommon but usually builds up over a period of time.

If the pain goes away now you've stopped the simvastatin that makes it fairly clear what's going on, which I guess means you need to decide if taking the statins is worth it for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Sivastatin is now up to 30 times cheaper than atorvastatin because its patent has run out. So why atorvastatin?  Are you also on amlodipine for high blood pressure? If so this is why you have been swapped. There is a contraindication simvastatin/amlodipine.
  • Posted

I started on 40mg simvistatin after my triple bypass/aortic valve replacement nearly 3 years ago.  When I complained about memory problems I was put on 20mg of Atorvastatin.  When the memory problems continued it was suggested that I try rosuvastatin, which requires a fraction of the dosage of either of the above.  Never got that far.

I did lipids panels thruout these changes and what had started out as completely normal cholesterol without the statins went down to 2/3 the cholesterol on them, explaining my memory patchiness and untrustworthiness.  Our brains need a certain amount of cholesterol to funcion properly, and going from a perfectly normal 111 LDL (supposed to be lower than 130) when off the statins to 77 on them, basically torpedoed my brain.

I quit them.  I am not going to allow a tiny percentage of risk of further heart issues - esp. since mine were not caused by cholesterol in the first place - strap me for life into drugs that have registered side effects, warnings for which can be found on the FDA's website.  My mind is slowly returning to normal, but since I was on them for over a year, I now worry that there may be some lasting permanent effects.  I am not taking that chance, now that I have heard from people here.  If I need to reduce my cholesterol - which I don't now, my readings are completely normal - I will do it some other, more healthy way, like eating the right kinds of foods and getting adequate exercise.  Pills for life simply do not belong on my radar, and from what i have been seeing here on this site, don't belong on many people's radar!  These side effects I have read about here are massive!

• Posted

Good on you for getting off the statins.  You were fortunate that the memory problems were the only ones you experienced:  I also had extreme lethargy & depression and muscle, nerve & joint pain, plus loss of libido.    Your last sentence is spot on:  even worse than the magnitude of the negative effects is the fact that the muscle/nerve damage can be permanent and disabling.

It's ridiculous that you were ever prescribed them if your bad cholesterol wasn't high:  what are these doctors thinking?  Mine was a bit high and still is, in spite of appropriate diet and exercise, but the last time I had ti checked it had come down slightly to what used to be regarded as normal before the levels were changed back in the 70's by a US panel comprising a majority of representatives of pharmaceutical manufacturers.

I take 3 tsp of Psyllium Husk powder most mornings in my porridge, which was recommended to help lower cholesterol by a dietitian at the cardio rehab group I went to after a heart attack 4 1/2 years ago.  The only possible negative effect from it is if you try and eat it dry, because it expands on contact with moisture which can cause choking, but it's perfectly safe in porridge.

• Posted

Thanks, Jude.  I will come back to your advice if at some future time I need to reduce my cholesterol.  At this point mine is completely in the safe range and any reduction of it would affect my memory again.

Yes it appalls me that they put me on them "on protocol", which they do for ANYBODY who's had a heart operation of any kind.  My good friend Lair had to have a stint a year or 2 ago, and when he heard about all this stuff from me thru my bookkeeper and age old friend Patricia, his wife, he quit them too, with great thanks for the heads up.

Thanks also for being one of those leading the charge on this site!  Your posts have been very formative on my decision, along with Alzheimer's and Sonya's and those of a few others here.

• Posted

Thanks to you too, Karen!   

The routine prescription of statins appalls me too:  I know a woman in her 70's who had a couple of heart attacks more than 10 years ago and was put on statins even though her cholesterol levels were normal, and is still taking them.

I also know a few people who've had no problems with them:  well, no problems that they know of, who would know what could show up years later?

By the way, there are a number of entries on the internet under Statins Class Action, but  presumably the only successful litigants will be people with permanent disability and not those of us who stopped taking them, hopefully in time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.