Since September been bleeding throughout

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have been suggested to join a forum in the hope of some advice or talking to someone who has/ is in the same boat as I am!

In September last year I took the DEPO injection in the hope of pain control with my periods. Since the age of 11 I have suffered incredible pain unlike any females in my family to the point of sickness, passing out and being bed ridden for two days. It has only been the past few months that I have been diagnosed with dysmenorrhea??

Since having a DEPO injection my periods have continued non stop and I am still bleeding now WITH incredible amounts of pain! I am not on any contraceptive nor have I been back to have another injection hoping the hormones would eventually come out of my system and stop bleeding!!! I know this isn't normal but I am yet to hear of anything or anyone with any ideas as to what is going on with my body!!

I have been recommended the coil... However I am still bleeding and my uterus is very tender, I am unsure as to whether the nurse will be able to fit it.

Has anyone had this experience? If so... Help!! At 22 I shouldn't be having these problems :-(

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh I feel for you. I know that depo and the coil do make you bleed heavier and longer for up to a year. But from what it seems from what you wrote. You only had one injection, is that right?

You may want to get an intauterine ultrasound done to rule out fibroids or overian cysts. They can make periods very heavy long and painful. I had fibroids for years before having them removed. It was awful how bad I bled.

You may really want to try the coil eventually as long as it's the mirena one. It has been known to help with Lessing periods. My friend had spotting for 8 months and now hasn't had a period in 6 years.

Good luck and keep us updated

• Posted

Hi Tricia,

Yes only one injection in September last year and am still bleeding now. I have been to see two gynaecologists and have had an ultrasound. The feedback was that everything looks perfectly normal!

The last gynaecologist said I was just unfortunate but I can't understand how they haven't given me an explanation as to why I am still bleeding!

I am booked in for the mirena cool on Thursday however I don't want to have this procedure if it will disrupt my bleeding further??

I just don't know how much longer I can physically and mentally keep going with this continuous and painful bleeding!

• Posted

I'm so sorry. I know how awful it is. The mirena won't make it worse. It actually could help you rather quickly. I'd say the reason they haven't given you an explanation for the continuous bleeding is they don't really know. It was probably just a bad reaction to the depo. It is actually good you are bleeding now to fit the mirena since they like to fit it during periods because the cervix is softer had it goes in easier. I hope you're taking an iron supplement so you aren't becoming anemic. I wish you luck. Keep updating.
    • Posted

Hi Tricia,

Attempted to have the coil fitted yesterday...the doctor found it impossible! Absolute agony & was passing out & nauseous all day yesterday. Body very weak & can just walk today and that's not having the procedure!!

Been advised to go under general anaesthetic but I'm not sure if it's worth all of this?!

• Posted

That is awful. I'm so sorry. You could ask your gyno about the mini pill. It's progestrone only and it can help with stopping the bleeding. I'm amazed your gyno is not more concerned. Mainly about anemia than anything else.
  • Posted

Hi jessy,  I am surprised that your doctor hasn't prescribed you something to stop the bleeding as there is no way anyone should be bleeding for that length of time for ANY reason.  The depo shot, I believe lasts 3 months and even if that was the cause of the continuous bleeding (I have a friend who did bleed the whole three months  after having it which rather defeats the reason for using contraception in the first place !  as for most of us, sex is then off limits, or is certainly not how it should be)  After several years of celibacy, I met someone and tried the mini pill and for me it wasn't any good, I was nearly always bleeding, albeit only lightly always there and preferring to opt out of sex especially with a new partner this went on for 4 months needlessly as i was never going to "settle" on it.  Next option was the nexplanon implant which I had fitted about a month after stopping the mini pill and had heard so many say they never bleed on it. Might have guessed I wouldn't be one of those lucky ones and 2 weeks after fitting period came and by day ten I thought stuff this, and saw my gp who is really good, I am lucky that way. She prescribed norethisterone, a 10 day course and by day 3 it had stopped dead and nothing. have your doctors not suggested any medication to stop your bleeding ? at your age i am amazed they would suggest the coil before you have tried the combination pill which also sorts out your periods the length of them and pain control. Often prescribed for teens too, not as contraception but as a way of dealing with period problems generally. You don't say whether they have offered you this unless perhaps you are intolerant of estrogen as some ladies are. I thankfully am not but am old so that brings other risk factors in !!  If the coil is your last resort,which at your age I would guess it should be, don't fear it, try it, if they have offered you the option of being knocked out while they fit it I would take it. It can be removed so you are not stuck with it and it may actually be your answer. I have a couple of friends who swear by it and have no periods.  I may try the mirena myself if the implant doesn't work out for me. Keep going to your doctor or try another one, maybe a walk in clinic for a second opinion. No doctor I know would say continual bleeding is ok because it just isn't . 
    • Posted

Hi Elsa,

I live in Hertfordshire which is an area that I would expect GP surgeries to have good funding? I have been to see four GP's for different opinions and all are bouncing back to the suggestion of a coil, there are alternative options but as I am so young, it would affect my chances of carrying children in the future.

Unfortunately I am unable to have the mini pill as I am a smoker and I have tried all the others which sent me psycho!!

I have been advised to see a well established woman from a family planning clinic whom I have booked an appointment with for a coil fitting. This was advised to me after attempting to have a coil fitted at the GP surgery which was incredibly painful and unsuccessful! I was bed ridden for three days, passing out, nauseous and couldn't walk! That was only after attempting to fit it?!

The implant I can't consider as I am incredibly squeamish and I can't bare the thought of anything under my skin and being able to feel it in certain situations and positions. I am petrified of needles and kick and scream like a two year old if I see one!

The main thing that is starting to worry me is that it's painful bleeding continously and I'm losing weight whilst eating properly and also very tired and weak!

• Posted

Hi  I meant also to ask which area of the uk you live in if you don't mind me asking because I have been using this site for a few months now and have noticed that some patients are not being helped at all. I was wondering whether doctors in some areas of the uk were better funded than in others. Where I live , you would not be referred to a gynaecologist until something definite had been identified. Which I think is normal practice. If nothing has been identified then you cannot just be written off or fobbed off. None of us like to put, what we feel, is pressure on the nhs which I feel should be supported  to the max by all of us. In your situation I am amazed at your patience in hoping that your body will solve its own problems but, the amount of time you have been bleeding is not ok and you need to keep going to your doctor until they help you and if they don't please consider changing surgeries if you can or go to a walk in clinic or a nearby family planning clinic who know all about these sorts of problems and can refer you elsewhere if needed.  big luck to you  elsa xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.