Since when did Tremadol become a narcotic?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Before tremadol was as easy as getting tylonal. Why now? Why are they making such a big deal over this? It's not even an opiate. What can I get that is just as good as tremadols and not a narcotic?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you read some of the posts on here about those of us who are struggling extremely hard with tramadol, it would make sense why it is now a controlled substance. It is the same as opiates, it is just made synthetically. The addiction is god awful and getting off of it is a life sentence. Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of it. Ask your doctor for an alternative to it that is not controlled. I have used Tylenol AND Ibuprofen together and found alot of relief! Best of luck to you!!!!

Take care! Xoxo

• Posted

I don't know... I used to be afraid of withdrawal but I have done it just fine without much of a problem.  Granted, I was only taking 100-150mg a day, but had been taking that dose for over two years.  I'm not sure what is equivalent in it's class but I'd like to know, because now doctors start thinking that you are some kind of drug addict since Tramadol is a controlled substance and synthetic opioid. 

I think it's a very complicated drug and potentially dangerous, as many can attribute to.  And I don't want to downplay that.  As I heard recently, "The problem with drugs is not that they are bad, but that they are good!..."

• Posted

Wow, that quote is spot on!!!!! Very true!!! You can feel very blessed you never experienced the withdrawal. Basically its because you had such a low dose, but still after 2 years, its amazing that you didnt feel anything. Its equivalent to heroin withdrawal, so you are luckkky. Lol.
  • Posted

Because Tramadol was as easy to get as Tylenol (paracetamol) it became a major problem as it is highly addictive. People, doctors included, didn't realise just how dependant one can become so it was sold OTC and prescribed like aspirin.

Now it is controlled because of this.

Some people just can't get their heads around the fact that taking meds willy nilly for any complaint isn't a good idea. Add to that the fact that you can get as high as a kite.....control is the only sensible answer.

• Posted

I didn't realize it was a narcotic, I've been taking 200mg for over a year now for stomach/back pain. I feel like someone is stabbing me with a knife on my left side where my pancreas is. I got my gallbladder out an thought that would cure it but still happens. I got a scope done and a ct scan and everything looks good. Don't know what causes the pain but I take it daily to prevent it. I still get attacks but bc of the tremadol it's not as intense. I recently got a uti over Christmas break an finished my bottle early using my pills for the uti so I can enjoy Christmas with my family and was out of town. When I called to refill they said they don't give early refills on narcotics. I was shocked it was even a narcotic. I haven't took any for a few days an haven't had any cravings, I have had stomach issues for some time now so can't say it's side effects. I am realizing my stomach issues are becoming more severe as my stool is black and bloody. My stomach cramps are so bad I can't move an I have recently lost my insurance to go get checked out. I have completely relied on those pills to make me feel normal daily an bc I take them daily I was not realizing how bad my stomach issues have become.

• Posted

Like you I've been taking them for years, in my case about 5 years for post herpetic neuralgia, and like you I sometimes have to take quite large doses, and again like you I can miss a few days and have no withdrawal effects.

Guess we're a couple of the lucky ones....... the not addictive personality type.

• Posted

Exactly that is very true. I used to be a pot head in my teen years for 4 years. Never missed a night of my anxiety meds 🙊. Anyways when I decided to quit smoking pot it was easy, I went to church and wanted a lifestyle change for my children. I don't remember ever having side effects or cravings. Now I also was a cigarette smoker as well an went through a pack every 2-3 days for 7 years. That took a whole year to quit, not bc of side effects but the cravings were horrible. I subbed my cigarette addiction with food and gained 60lbs. I evidently quit but the weight was a killer to work off and still not fully gone. We are all different, I've been a party animal in my 18-22yr old ages of alcohol and all kind of different drugs an which non of them I got addicted too. We are blessed, if people here struggle with tremadols the way I did cigarettes I truly do feel for them and will be in my prayers 🙏🏻🙁

• Posted

Just one pack in 2 or 3  days......lightweight, I was on over a pack a day. One day I decided that if I didn't smoke I could stop working Saturday morning overtime and be no worse off, so I quit there and then, no ill effects at all just a sudden burst of energy.

• Posted

Sarah, Tramadol is most certainly an opiate. There is a very good reason for making it a controlled drug. It's also very Addictive!

• Posted

Yes it's a synthetic opiate, I know that now. I didn't know that back then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.