Single large Gall Stone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with a "large imobile stone in the fundus".  This was found following an ultrasound for onset pain, altered bm, bloating and belching.  I have had endoscopes (both ends) and nothing found.   I am not currently having any major issues, just a few niggles but it is mainly mid-line on my abdomen.  I have today received a letter telling me that I will be referred to the consultant for a potential gb removal.  Anyone else had their GB removed for a stone of this type?  thanks all x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I'm still waiting to have mine removed. All I can say is that the pain from gallbladder attacks can get very severe and if you are suffering mild attacks now and you are seeing someone about removal then consider being added to the waiting list NOW. The waiting list is VERY long, don't let them tell you isn't. I've been waiting almost 18 weeks since a major attack and no sign of a date for surgery yet. I'm told now at least June but that's subject to a complaint.

If you get a "wait and see approach" then things could get severe and THEN you have to start the wait from scratch. My advice is to try and get on the list before it becomes major. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to treat gallstones other than remove the gallbladder. A very low fat, and I mean very low fat diet of less than 3% will help hold off attacks and keep pain down in the meantime. I'm sorry if I sound blunt but fact is the wait is a long one and if I knew then what I know now, I would have pushed for help sooner because now I'm debilitated and waiting. Best of luck.

• Posted

I've had stones for years now and while I do have an occassional bout, thankfully I've been able to get by.  Have I considered surgery?  You bet I have.  My surgeon has said, "well, lets do it, no big deal"  Well to me, it is.  It is scary but at the same time, I'm hoping I can live with it.  I recently started taking a Probiotic and believe it or not, this has helped immensely with the gas and bloating.  The other thing I take is a pill that I get in China town called Wei Te Ling.  I take this just when it starts to act up and it also helps.  On a daily basis I take another Chinese pill called Lidan.  You can look both of these pills up on the internet, but they do help.  I'm sincerely hoping I can not do surgery, but like you, I'm sceptical in the removal.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info, I am going to start the probitic asap and will look at the chinese medications - we have a chinese herbalist in town x
    • Posted

Having had mine removed I can honestly say it was a breeze and nothing to worry about. It's only a day in hospital. Four laparoscopic holes and it's out! You don't want to end up with Pancreatitis by leaving it like a friend of mine and then ended up with only a third of his pancreas left! Better out than left in.
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice.   I am totally terrified at the prospect of surgery and am going to try anything I can to get out of going down that route but it looks like I am just delaying the inevitable. x
    • Posted

I was like you. The thought of surgery terrified me, it still does. But I never realised how bad things can get. I was in hospital for nine days on drips. It really shocked me how unwell gallstones can make you. Now I just want the thing out so hopefully I will never suffer that pain again. Regarding the surgery it is relatively straightforward, routine surgery. Sure, the horror stories are all here to see but that's because people who have had no problems do not tend to post on forums. I was surprised at the amount of people that said, oh gallbladder, yes had mine out, you'll have a new lease of life. It's like a secret club. People tell me how much better it will be once it's gone. I can't wait to feel normal again, hopefully :-)
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with gallstones at Christmas 2014 and had my gallbladder removed in April 2015.

Originally I was told it was only one stone but it turned out to be several.

My advice would be to atleast get yourself on the list for gallbladder removal.

You may not be having much trouble with it now, but if the stone is still there it can rear it's ugly head at any moment.

It is a quick operation usually only keyhole so you are not even in hospital overnight, just a day case.

I still have a bit of pain and have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia. It is also possible that I have ibs, but these things are liveasble with.

I would certainly rather be like I am now than I was when I had the gallstones.

You need to be on a low fat or even no fat diet.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.