Sinus irrigation side-effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.  I have suffered with varying degrees of sinusitis for around ten years. I've had CT's done twice showing mild to moderate infection of frontal sinuses (the ones near your brow-line).  I've had symptoms of dizziness, depersonalization, and degrees of fatigue from mild to completely debilitating.  Oddly enough, I don't typically have sinus congestion as my problem is with the sinuses further up in my head.  Lots of post-nasal drip.  I have tried most remedy methods with little success.  I've done irrigation with salt water, peroxide mixes, etc. with no lasting effect.  Recently I tried a product called Alkalol, that I use full-strength to irrigate, that has provided what I consider much greater effectiveness in loosening mucus and relieving the fatigue and dizziness symptoms, but have been having an odd side-effect.  Since the first day I used it, I have been having varying bouts of insomnia, which I can't quite figure out.  Has anyone else using this product experienced this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I just went onto Amazon to see if sold there. I looked at all the reviews and did not see anybody mention sleep problems. Though somebody did use tap water to dilute, this problem. One should never use water straight from the tap without boiling and cooling a little, till comfortable to use. I also use a salt I bought from Amazon especially for a nasal wash. Tap water not prepared as mentioned will burn inside of nasal passages. I have just bought this product you have brought to my attention, and will let you know how it helps. I get a headache on the inside area of the eyebrow, This sinus area is very painful at times. I get infections in that area lots of times. I think your sleepless nights is linked to something else in my opinion, I will let you know if it effects my sleep.
  • Posted

Consult your doctor if you have any concerns before using it in this manner, but basically how I am using it is:  empty out a little saline spray bottle.  Fill bottle with Alkalol (I use it full-strength).  Lay down on a bed, tilting head backward over the edge.  Squirt 3 or 4 streams of the Alkalol into nose while in this position.  Let it run into your frontal sinuses.  I usually leave it for a minute or more.  It can be an odd feeling at first as you will feel a tingling behind your eyes.  You will be able to tell if it is penetrating into your upper sinuses as it tingles wherever it goes for about 15-20 seconds.  If it doesn't penetrate into your upper sinuses, repeat the procedure a bit later until you get the product to relieve the congestion.

One of the things I like about this product is it does not seem to produce the "rebound congestion" that other sprays and sinus rinses seem to produce.  Using this, the sinuses seem to clear and stay clear.  Obviously our results may vary, but this has been the best sinus product I've used without a doubt.

• Posted

I forgot to mention to replace the top of the saline bottle after filling.
  • Posted

And I gently blow the stuff out of my nose into the sink or a kleenex after this treatment.  It doesn't taste very good, but small price to pay for what it does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.