Sinus surgery, now no smell

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had polyps in my nose that needed to be removed, and also my sinuses were also cleaned out. Since my surgery little over a week ago i have not been able to smell anything. I went to my POST OP this past Friday and asked him about it. His repsonse was could you smell beofre you had this operation? Me: yes, and very good at that...Dr: well there's your answer. But reading alot of people that has had this prsedure done alot have seemed to have lost their sense completely.. Anyone have any input??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a very large surgery done on my right sinus to remove a inverted papilloma, an ethmoidectomy, maxillectomy. basically the wall between my cheeck and nose has been removed I only have a lower turbinate left on the right side.. I did loose smell for a good while after surgery .. I think you will get it back in due time I am almost a year out and my smell has returned . Just relax and don't get too anxious let nature take it course.

• Posted

When you say "cleaned out" can you be more specific ?

• Posted

Might help to look up the charity Fifth Sense if this problem persists - it's the kind of thing they deal with (e.g. anosmia).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.