Sinuses?

Posted , 5 users are following.

The past year and a half I've had the following symptoms on and off:

Pressure in the top of head, forehead, behind the eyes, and the bridge of my nose.

Thick clear mucus that seems worse in the morning it mainly in the the throat. No runny nose.

I can make my ears pop and crackle and most of the time feels stuffy and bits of pain. Sometimes they feel hot.

Dizziness and lightheadedness even when laying down.

I can still smell but sometimes I think my taste is gone.

I free like sometimes when walking I feel like I am falling forward.

I went last October and was told that I had a sinus infection. Could this be sinusitis?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have all the same things going on right now as well. I went to my PCP yesterday and he said he wasn't sure if for me if it was sinuses or allergies. Or both, so he put me on a very heavy antibiotic and nose spray to help with both. I would go to the doctor just to check it out. It may or may not be what I got but the nose spray helps a lot. This is my second time on it this year to clear everything.
  • Posted

Could be allergies, although the doctors will tell you that allergies shouldn't make you have those symptoms...they can! I have been tested for allergies, and am allergic to almost every tree, grass, weed, dust mite animal and mold. I suffer year-round. They cause pressure behind my eyes, clear mucus, popping and roaring ears, lightheadedness, and the feel of falling when walking. If I tell the ear, nose and throat doctor these symptoms, he gives me a different nasal spray, and sends me home. I've tried them all. Steroid and non-steriod. I used a saline rinse up my nose, 3-4 times/week, and have had sinus surgery. I take Mucinex and Sudafed regularly. Antihistamines are great for seasonal allergies, but they are worthless when you are allergic to so much.

You might also have chronic sinusitis, if you have had several sinus infections in the past. That is what they mark as the diagnosis when I complain about my allergies. Same symptoms, but more coughing and extreme post nasal drip. Chronic sinusitis lasts for more than 3 weeks, but it can last for months. Antibiotics don't help.

• Posted

Omg I have the same thing going on now started of as allergy now it into sinusitis how long does it last going on 10 days...
    • Posted

It can stick around for several weeks, or even months. 
    • Posted

Thank you hopefully will start feeling better I guess it takes time 
  • Posted

I was told that it was the start of a sinus infection but I also have chronic sinusitis.
    • Posted

You have my sympathy. I don't think I have been completely well for a few years now. Allergies, chronic sinusitis, then acute sinusitis. I think I just have to get used to feeling lousy. If allergy injections, sinus surgery, irrigation, decongestants, and steroid nasal sprays haven't helped, I doubt that anything will. 
  • Posted

Sinuses are clogged, go to the store get a decongestant nasal spray..use it once wait 10mins use it again, wait 10mins then make a slightly strong salt solution in a glass and sniff it up both nostrils, this will then fully decongest your nose/sinuses, repeat twice a day, and enjoy a clear nose & head, if allergies use a nasal steroid.
  • Posted

NeilMed makes an 8 oz squeee bottle with nozzle that is used for irrigating your nose. Mix 8 oz of warm distilled water with contents of the salt packets that they give with the bottle, or use 1/2 tsp salt. Shake bottle, then squeeze one half in one nostril (while tilting head forward, over sink), then the rest in other nostril. 

Make sure that water is slightly warm, or it's uncomfortable. Some doctors will prescribe bacitracin (antibiotic cream) and Pulmacort (steroid) to add to the water. It works well for chronic sinusitis...better than oral antibiotics. 

• Posted

Neilmed is ok but to treat sinusitis you would need to use two or three salt sachets per bottle also its not very good at reaching the posterior sinuses, sniffing hypertonic saline solution from a glass so it goes to the back of the nose then spit out of your mouth costs nothing and usually more effective, made more effective if used a decongestant spray before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.