six week post check up

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just had my six week check up today. Please I need some advise the consultant asked to examine me which of course I agreed. All he did was insert the tip of his fingervabout an inch into my opening and asked me to squeeze and said everything is healing well. I had an anteria and posture repair without mesh. Is this the norm or am I suppose to be examine to ensure all is in place and no infections etc. I am so upset been discharged on this advise as well .

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm surprised he didn't do a more in depth internal examination but perhaps he didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. I'm sure he knows what he's doing and an inch is quite a way into your vagina and that's enough to tell him if the prolapse has returned. He wouldn't have discharged you if he wasn't sure everything is ok so please try not to worry 
    • Posted

But why squeeze the muscles to the opening of my vagina x
    • Posted

What do you mean it was just the top of his finger into your vagina? So that could be less than an inch I suppose. To be honest I don't know why you are worried because if you said you were having problems then I would expect him to give you a more thorough examination but that's highly unlikely because at 6 weeks everything would be ok. Your sutures or some of them will still be in place so a more in depth examination could be very uncomfortable. I know some Urogynaecologists will examine more thoroughly but not at 6 weeks, I was 10 weeks when I had a post op appointment and a thorough examination and that was uncomfortable to say the least. I know Gillian has suggested you ask for another appointment but I don't think he will see you again unless you're a private patient because this is obviously what he likes to do, a pot op at 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Because he'll feel everything is in place. You should really have addressed your concerns with him at your appointment. I'm sure he would have been happy to explain everything to you because in my experience consultants are not in the least offended when patients ask questions about their care in fact they welcome it.
  • Posted

Hi love, I don't know what is wrong or right but personally I an six week today 

same operation and don't think I would want an internal yet, I am booked in for 8 post op,

if you are not happy ring his secretary and say you are not happy and would like another examination at 8/10 weeks

you probably still have stiches as well

• Posted

That's it now I am discharged. How do I know if the op has been sucessful
    • Posted

If it hadn't been successful he would have told you but to be honest at 6 weeks you're still healing so only time will tell if it's been successful. It's the long term outcome that's important.
    • Posted

Hi, you are clearly deeply distressed as matron said ring his secutery and ask for a phone appointment wright everything down and Evan if you think it is a silly question ask love.

I think you will not settle till you do this if you don't mind me asking were are you from and were did you have the surgery love.

i have only just come of the pain relief but still try a heavey feeling some times and can feel the stiches a lot at six week

take care, I have been in your position after my hystorectomy and would not let the surgeon sign me off. Xx

• Posted

Why don't you ring his secretary and say there are some things you would like to ask but at your appointment you felt unable to and would it be possible to speak to him on the phone? You have nothing to lose.
  • Posted

Dear elliott

With regard to why your Consultant asked you to squeeze on examination, this is probably becaiuse he wanted to test that your muscles responded to his request. The pelvic floor muscles are located in the first 2 inches inside the vagina, so he might have been testing your respose, which he thought was good, so that is a real plus. If you couldnt move yur muscles, or experienced pain then he might have examined further, but as Matron says telephone his secretary who might be able to give you more assurance or a follow up appointment if necessary. As Matron says, do raise these issues at the time, a one-to-one with a Consultant is hard to get and it is your time, so ask what you need to. I would also advise all women to write questions down if they have any because sometimes the moment takes over.and we walk out of a surgery and think 'Damn!' I should have asked him/her about that.

Good luck with your continued recovery!

Writing any questions down also helps a Consultant (or any health professional) to address the concerns that you have and reassure you if necessary. We need to be clear with them, and they will be clear with us!

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks that's probably why then. I thought the pelvic muscles where deep inside that makes a bit more sense now. So so glad of this forum just feel like I was fobbed off as it wasn't my consultant I saw today was his registrar. How would he know if the surgery wasn't sucessful is this by touching or examination. My bowel feels great but I have concerns for my bladder but probably is just swelling

• Posted

Even though you didn't see your consultant I can assure you the Registrar will be a qualified surgeon and he'll be a Mr and not a Dr. He probably performs a lot if operations on behalf of the consultant as well so you will have been seen by someone well experienced. Is there some reason for you to think your repair hasn't worked? 
    • Posted

I just feel that my vagina is fill of muscle again and my uretha is right by my vaginal opening. My urine is spraying out again and making a hiss noise. My bowels feel good and having no trouble with them. Probably just being silly and worring over nothing. I am an NHS patient so maybe a trip to my gp need to sort my head out
    • Posted

And stop worrying x
    • Posted

And I know I shouldn't but with a quick feel I can feel the bumby Ness of the muscles
    • Posted

If you didn't tell the registrar your symptoms then I can fully understand why he didn't give you a fuller examination and your GP isn't the best person to reassure you unless he has undertaken gynae training after his initial training. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.