six weeks off mirtazapine still struggling with sleep. is this normal?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Off mirt for six weeks still struggling with sleep is this WD? I am confused

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Susansasha, 

it depends if you were taking mirt for depression, then it could either be the withdrawal OR just one of the many symptoms of Depression. 

I know when a depressive episode comes up, that my first symptom is sleepnessness. Early awakening in the mornings. Hard time falling asleep. My mind doesnt stop stirring, turning, churning the tiniest things. 

Have you been prescribed an alternative to mirt? Or another sleep aid? 

When my pdoc took me off Mirt and on Trintellix/Brintellix (vortioxetine) she also gave me a sleep aid, since Trintellix doesnt have the sedating effect of mirtazapine. I am now taking 2.5 mg Zolpidem at night and it knocks me right out to the morning. 

Her argument was, that I need to get a normal sleep structure back. That's the most important thing for Depression (other than fighting the suicidal ideations LOL)

I hope this helps. If you keep having sleep issues, talk to your doctor!

• Posted

Good morning. Thank u for taking the time to reply. I was given it as had anxiety issues related to heart palpitations which were brought on by stress last year and they were so bad that I couldn't sleep. So really it was to help me sleep. Before this stressful time I have slept well all my life even when I have had periods of depression. I had two miscarriages and I didn't go on any tablets and worked through it myself and slept fine. To be honest sleep was always my coping mechanism. I just would have thought after six weeks it would improve. I have had some nights where I have slept a little better. My doc gave me diazepam only ten tablets to help me but was very reluctant to take as I don't want to be dependent on something else. I have only taken a 5 mg two weeks ago under duress, my hubby was worried that I was sleep deprived so I took it. Then managed another two weeks and three nights ago i took half a tablet 2.5 mg as was sleep deprived again. I slept well that night and for the next two consecutive nights but last night didn't drop off until five and was awake just before eight. So was it the diazepam still in my system that made me sleep for three night? But it was such a small amount and i only took it once. So confused????? Xxxx
    • Posted

Hi, what is the pattern (if there is one) of your sleep at the moment. Do you have trouble getting to sleep, or trouble staying asleep. How many hours are you sleeping most nights. 

I have stopped Mirt about a week ago and have no trouble going to sleep but at the moment am sleeping for 4-5 hours before waking. Trying to block off the light in the bedroom as the summer light at 4.30am probably doesn't help either. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.