Sjogren's and depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I was wondering whether depression is actually a symptom of this illness. I understand that it is natural to feel depressed when receiving a diagnosis of chronic illness, but my current mental state feels like something much more insidious and severe. I have never felt depressed in this way before, even when I got a diagnosis of another painful AI condition 8 years ago. I also know that mental stress can negatively impact symptoms so it is vital to 'feel better' quickly in order not aggravate the condition. I am not sure how to start to do this and wonder whether systemically something is going on that is affecting my brain chemistry to feel this bad.

Thanks for any advice or feedback from those of you that have battled depression with Sjogren's and won.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Definitely yes! The 3 connective tissue diseases are just that SS/SLE/APS they affect every organ in the body including the brain. It's quite normal to feel down, to have brain fog, to feel frustrated, to feel really miserable that a disease which the doctors say is only dry eyes and mouth is far from that! Of course you may feel depressed, a short course of anti depressants might help. But unless you feel it's something worse, avoid a psychiatrist. 

• Posted

well said..... cymbalta is a good one too because it aso helps with pain;}
  • Posted

I am so glad you mentioned this. I had such a bad day again today, somdays I really think I shouldn't even drive as I cant think straight. So after feeling ok for a few days I guess a few bad ones are here again judging by today.

As sad as it is, its nice to know that there are others with the same symptoms, as the people around me does not seem to get it. Glad I got on to this sight, it really helps and supports me.

I refuse to use anti-depressants, and unfortunately I have no advice as I am also still trying to wrap my head around this. One thing I do know that helps is diet, sleeping enough and just taking it easy, but still then the deprssion creeps in, especially when you realise you are a 32 year old living (and have been for years) like an old person! My dad has more oomf and energy than me and he is 60!

Good luck, will let yo know if  find something that helps.

• Posted

Personally, I think it is just a general depression from having an illness in which there is no cure, and not many drs seem to care about finding a cure. The entire issue is depressing. I try not to think about it but then it appears again and again in my waking thoughts or when I don't expect it. Not to mention the relentless dry eyes and fatique and having to work for a living. That is really enough to make you feel down or even worse. Most people think about there future optimistically, like the world is their onion. I think, I better get everything done very quickly because I don't know how much time I have. 
    • Posted

Sorry if that last line sounds negative, but I was being honest about my deepest and most intimate thoughts with my ss friends. I also just try to eat right, get sleep and keep my ears opened in case there is a treatment or cure. 

• Posted

When I get down I think of all the positive things in my life (including my job) and how lucky I am (half full cup instead of half empty?). I know it can be almost impossible to cheer up sometimes or I play those games on my phone you can download for free (like Candy Crush ) and it works for me to get distracted . My worst time is in the middle of the night when i wake up worried sick and depressed about things which i have no control over.
    • Posted

Yes, the middle of the night can be very difficult. I turn on the television to something light. Otherwise I would run with my thoughts. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies. It helps to feel less alone knowing that others are experienceing the same thing even if it's not good to hear how down some people are feeling. I have always managed until to now to see the glass half full but this time something has snapped. My kids are the light of my life but I am even avoiding them so that they don't see me like this because it feels unfair. In fact I am avoiding everyone, which doesn't help. When I finally find a GP who will listen to me I am going to ask for anti-depressants, but I am worried about the dry-mouth side effects - does anyone have any experience with specific anti-ds that cause less dryness than others?
    • Posted

Try not to worry, it's so very common that a study was done at a London on Lupus patients. They were sent a questionnaire and the thing that worried them most was not the disease which the medics thought would be No 1 it was the brain fog, depression, chronic fatigue. So even in a disease I have as I have both SS and SLE this is the same! 
  • Posted

i was depressed for the first 2 years of getting SS, and that was because of the serverity of the syptoms I had ,  but have not been since then, if depression was part of the illness then everyone would have it, to more or less degrees,  and I do not, I think people become depressed because of how this disease effects their bodies, Sometimes it is all about coping and from what you have written, 8 years ago you were diagnosied  with something else and so having SS on top of it has pushed you mentally how am i going to cope with this???  I keep a real positive outlook,, i cannot change my life,, so i do not spend time wishing for that,,I do what i can do and that is enough,, i am grateful for what i have in my life two legs i can walk and so on,, my life could be a lot more worse I could be dead Always keep postive as that has helped me so much
  • Posted

So pleased to come across this post and thread. It's the first time I have given in really to the fatigue and felling "down". Lots going on in my life which is causing such stress. Think that's triggered the depressive side of me. Been through"stuff" before but have worked my way through. Now, in my seventies and with SS, it's proving more difficult. Just now starting medication from the doc so we'll see if that helps.

• Posted

absolutely one of many challanges you have w/ SS diognosis. Talk w/ your MD and get some help w/ meds, I did and helped me ALOTwink good luck sweetie!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.