Sjogrens and water retention

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone noticed any relationship between Sjogrens and water retention?  It seems like, since Sjogrens attacks moisture, they wouldn't go together.  But I have noticed that when I am about to have a good week without a lot of symptoms, it starts with my body getting rid of excess water (I urinate large volumes regardless of how much I am drinking and then am about two pounds lighter).  I am just wondering if flares can cause you to retain water.  I don't eat a lot of salt so I don't think it is diet related.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meg,

I have noticed unexplained wide swings between fluid retention and diuresis. Sometimes I put water retention down to periods of constipation, but I admit this doesn't really cover all of the incidences. Obviously, we all retain water for a few hours immediately after eating a very salty meal too, but these phases happen too often in my case to be explained by salty food, as I only very rarely eat a meal containing a lot of salt - usually when eating out in restaurants.

I get wide variations in the severity of my symptoms too - but usually on a cycle of months or even years rather than weeks. I'll try and keep tabs on whether or not there's any correlation between these variations and fluid retention or diuresis.

• Posted

My abdomen is so strangely shaped now after so many surgeries combined with 40-50 lbs excess weight for the last 8 yrs that it's hard to tell, though sometimes I know pant waists seem more snug than they should, especially since I've lost 20 lbs. What I do know is that sometimes when I'm about to fall asleep I have to get up 4 or 5 times for bathroom trips that I shouldn't be needing, and those are just spontaneous eliminations of excess fluid. This has only been happening in the last few yrs. Before my hysterectomy at 27, my endometriosis would cause horrific sudden bloating. The endo may be related to ss.

My upper eyelids.are always puffy now, full of extra fluid. Don't know if it's ss or the evoxac I use.

• Posted

Meg, thanks for that question..ive had Sjorens for 30 years also i have fibromyalgia and other autoimmune issues, this is first time I have never ever heard this mentioned, but thats exactly what i go through..wow..its even niticeabke to ithers.,but i have never put it down to a flare ups, looking forward to reading pthers comments...thaks meg..bless you..😍
  • Posted

I deal with water retention as SS has impacted my kidneys. Have you had your kidneys checked? I will highly recommend it as I didn't find out until too late now mine are only functioning at 17%, so please get them checked!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.