Sjogrens /Lupus ? I'm a male age 50

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

This all started February 15 2014, I stopped taking prosom which is a benzodiazepine. I had the typical withdrawals symptoms ( I thiught) and not new to me as I have been in out of others with no major withdrawals other than maybe upset stomach and headache.

What happen this time was episodes of what I described at that moment as depersonalization , cold sweats chills and other issues. Went to the ER and was dismissed as having withdrawals.

Well, long story short this has continued every month and I now call this my man period. It's really debilitating , and I can predict when the episodes are coming . Long story short was tested for lupus 3 times and 1 was positive , sjogrens consistently positive. The rheumatologist in my opinion is hesitant to diagnose sjogrens, he says I don't have the dry eyes or mouth not extreme, And he says that's what's sjogrens is. This is what I have every month :Pre episodes- A few days before :

Dry skin- Mostly and more noticeable in finger tips and foot

Pain in left foot left hands ( Mostly) and fire foot in the left.

Dry mouth

General Malaise

Episodes: They last 1 minute max and they can happen every 30 minutes as day progresses they fade.

It always peak at around noon. Longest episodes 5 days that was at the beginning but is usually one day or 2 Happens every month since Feb 2014!

Small rash on extremities Usually arms and last a day.

Tingling sensation in tongue and minty feeling in half of the tongue.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm desperate and I'm starting to think that I'm loosing my mind.

Thanks for reading !

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Not much of this chimes with my own experience of Sjogren's, except the dry mouth and occasional tingling feelings in extremities. Sjogren's - like all auto-immune conditions - is famous for flare-ups and remissions, but usually over a longer time-frame than your monthly episodes.

Depersonalisation and cold sweats definitely sounds like benzo withdrawal. You mention having been on other benzos before Prosom, and I'm wondering how long you were on them altogether. Benzo withdrawal is a terrible thing, and can go on for a very long time indeed, especially if you were on them for a long period.

Maybe others in this forum will have had identical symptoms to yours just from Sjogren's. It is, after all, a syndrome - i.e. a collection of signs and symptoms - and therefore varies greatly from person to person. However, I have to say my money's on a combination of Sjogren's and benzo withdrawal, in which case you might have to be patient for another year or so before seeing improvement.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply ! I did not mention that I even got a cardiac ablation and I have an cardiac monitor implanted but definitely the episodes are not cardiac in nature as the device hasn't shown anything unusual. All the Dr's are dismissing benzo withdrawals. I'm a very active person .. Well I was , the constant fatigue, but is this near fainting with seizure like extreme confusion episodes . I loose all bowel control when they happen . This is very depressing . Again thanks !
    • Posted

Near-fainting with seizure and loss of bowel control sounds like vaso-vagal (low blood-pressure) attacks. I used to have those when I was younger, so did my father before me. No connection with Sjogren's as far as I'm aware. The low BP attacks largely stopped around 45, and first Sjogren's symptoms (undiagnosed for 10 years, as per normal) didn't appear till about five years later.

If I were in your situation, I'd ask for a second opinion from another cardiologist.

• Posted

Hello!

I have an implanted link that monitor my heart 24/7 and during the episodes nothing cardiac was detected.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hiya  Roadcan, I was diagnosed with SS, 23 years ago now..and neither did I suffer from dry eyes or mouth then..but do now...I presented at my GPwith a very swollen misshaped red face like a bell pepper, I was already on cortisone for bad asthma at the time...the dr said he would prescribe that usually for the swelling etc...but seeing as I was already on it he gave me nothing- which was ok...it wasn't painful..just looked bad and I needed to know what it was..I was bewildered at first..then I started reseaching to find out just what it was. 2 years later I was diagnosed by a Rhumotologist as having Fiibromyalgia Syndrome  too..another autoimmune condition..I had most of the Symtoms of it for years earlier too as does most of us on the fibromyalgia blog...23 years on...I have dry eyes...easy remedied with drops and dry mouth remedied with artificial saliva-minty taste, so not bad...very dry skin on feet - podiatrist monthly...plus I put strong urea cream on..most of the fluid in my left ear crystallised and I have been dizzy/imbalanced now for 11 years....but you learn many ways to cope..a caring husband really hellos..as dies a walking stick and a walker-rollator when needed..Glad you have markers to let you know when it getting worse...at least you know what's coming and what it is.....hope you find lots of info on here...I do...it's most informative..the best info I got was, " I'm not alone" ..we have many different Symtoms but we all have Sjorens Syndrome. I always look at the half full glass too..it really helps me.....eg: .there's always someone worse off than me"......that's my motto...hope you find this blog really helpful too Roadcan...have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xx Australia 
  • Posted

Ok so Sjogrens is not really relevant here.

Agree your heart seems OK.

Lupus is a strange condition that can affect any organ including the brain with potential mental issues but the diagnosis usually needs more features than you describe with fever joint pain and skin rashes that last longer than you describe.

So as an eye surgeon with a prevous history in general practice I would be looking to exclude other medical conditions.

e.g. insulinoma or carcinoid syndrome

Your episodes tend to occur around noon.  Would that be before lunch?  Perhaps you are going hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar).  Take 4 jelly babies when you get the symptoms.  If instantly cured then low glucose is confirmed.  Then you would need further invesigation to see if you have abnormal insulin levels.  Your GP /practice nurse should check glucose when you are actually have symptoms.

Another rare condition causing strange symptoms is carcinoid sysndrome.

When you are unwell look in the mirror are you pale or flushed? any problems of palpitations, asthma or diarrhoea?  The test for this is a 24-hour urine collection for the serotonin metabolite 5-HIAA (which your GP can organise).

Perhaps nothing will be detected and the conclusion will be lingering benzodiazepine withdrawal but the timing and frequency of repetition is odd and in my opinion justifies a few simple tests.

• Posted

I will sure tell my Dr but glucose has been tested. Join pain absolutely a problem specially in my left side.

Thanks !

• Posted

I think you miss my point. Blood glucose varies through the day. It must be tested when you are feeling weak and dizzy.  The fact your sugar is normal some of the time does not exclude episodes of hypoglycaemia. As you can't easily get a blood glucose at 11:57 or whatever time it is when symptomatic at least see if a little glucose by mouth miraculously makes you better. If this is positive then an official blood glucose test is mandatory when symptomatic. Insulin production should be automatically regulated by the body but is erratic with insulinoma.

The latter is a rare condition but the initial test is very simple.

If positive then plasma insulin can be measured but that is a complex test for the lab and only done by special arrangement.

Anyway good luck and hopefully your strange symptoms will go away in which case you can stop worrying

• Posted

Hello!

Yes it was tested during hospital admission every time I had an episode. That was the same day I got the cardiac link implanted as The electrophysiologist wanted to rule out insuline issues.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello Roadcan!

First let me say it sounds like many of your symptoms are from Sjogrens and the Neuropathy that accompanies it. The tingling the burning foot, if you look up Peripheral Neuropathy you might find an explanation of what you are experiencing that will answer some of your questions. Second you said you recently stopped taking a Benzoid. can I assume this was for anxiety? If so I wonder if some of your symptoms could be caused by not only withdraw but a panic episode. We become very hypervigilant of our body functioning as we move into an anxiety attack we can feel it coming on, it can cause the cold sweats and the feelings of depersonalization. Why did you stop taking the Benzoid if you don't mind me asking? I found reading up on GAD or General Anxiety Disorder was extremely helpful to me. As far as testing positive for SS and not being diagnosed and treated I would say it is time for a second opinion and you are not wrong to seek one. Dry eyes and mouth don't always present initially. The crippling fatigue and joint pain is what had me searching for answers in the beginning. Roadcan I want you to feel better keep searching I know you will find the answers.

Sally

• Posted

Hello Sally,

Thanks for your kind reply! yes! that burning foot sensation!  The benzo I stopped as I wanted to see if I was able to sleep without them and yes I could so I stopped. I used to wok in a very intense corporate environment and sleep was a commodity that I couldn't jeopardized.  

I am seeing my GP tomorrow.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.