Sjogrens with severe joint pain in a busy professional

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi !

I am very busy professional and mother of 2 kids. My sjogrens was diagnosed 6 months back with all usual symptoms. I have severe joint pains with knees and shoulder/back most affected. Used to go gym regularly but have stopped since last 2 months, no pilates available here. Pain increased substantially along with weight due to steroids. Any remedies for joints ? Anything herbal or adjunctive ?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a severe arthritic crisis in my mid-30s - 15 years before I started getting general Sjogren's symptoms (and 25 years before I got diagnosed, which is about par for the course!) And I mean really severe - not being able to get out of bed some days and constantly falling over in the street when my hips gave way. It came out of the blue as well.

Not wanting to take steroids, I consulted a homeopathic rheumatologist. I don't live in the UK, btw, but in a country where homeopaths have to be fully-paid-up medical doctors. He ordered blood tests and prescribed a variety of different homeopathic remedies. He also asked about my diet and made a few suggestions. Long story short, the whole thing cleared up in about six months, with only an occasional, short-lived flare-up since. And I'm in my 70s now.

I started getting other Sjogren's symptoms from the age of about 50 - dry mouth and eyes, Reynaud's syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, underactive thyroid etc. - but the arthritis never really came back, even in acute flare-ups of the Sjogren's. That's largely in remission as well now, apart from a few problems with dry eyes. All I ever suffer from nowadays is the odd twinge in my knees if I do too much (or not enough!) walking, and I think that's probably osteo-arthritis, due to normal age-related wear and tear.

Everyone's different, of course, but the things the homeo pinpointed in my diet were rhubarb (sounds odd, I know, but I love the stuff!) chocolate and coffee. Once I cut back sharply on them, the symptoms disappeared. I'm sure the homeopathic remedies worked as well, but I've always suspected the change in diet was what really did the trick.

I've also been on extra high-strength cod liver oil since I hit the menopause at age 45. I really do take it religiously every day, as well as eating oily fish once or twice a week too, and I'm convinced that's made a difference.

• Posted

Hi ! Thanks for response. Yes can cut coffee and sugar, which are extra in my schedule. I too can get access to homeopath here, previouslt was bit apprehensive. Thanks for boosting my confidence. Actually am a health professional myself, so know (fortunately or unfortunately), every side effect of drugs we use for sjogrens. But thanks to this group, now i can get the emotional and practical support also smile
    • Posted

Me too - or at least was. Former nurse - hence the reluctance to touch steroids with a barge pole!
  • Posted

Hi! I relate! Professional, 5 children, used to run everyday..even awarded a gold plaque for endurance by USA Track and Field Association. Not so much anymore...walk with little spurts of running and gentle yoga. I have sjogrens and hashimotos. Had pain in joints, peripheral nerve pain, severe fatigue until I met dr sylvie wellhausen....homeopathic chiropractor in Lima Linda, California USA...I immediately went on her suggested 'diet'. It's harsh at first if you eat like a 'normal' person, but once I got thru the first 2 weeks I've felt better than ever!! The pain has subsided about 75% here it is: no gluten (easier than u think),no beef and only farm raised no hormone meats, no farm raised fish. Fruits and veggies- organic when you can. no dairy - I have found some cheese replacements but it was hard and I use almond milk or coconut milk. horror of all horrors- no sugar! I use agave and fruit to sweeten things. And there are ways to have chocolate ...... Also supposed to cut out caffeine...but I do cheat every once in awhile....most people I know with auto-immune illnesses such as ours won't do this because it is really hard...at first. but they continue to complain and feel awful. This is supposed to 'calm down' your antibodies. You sound like a to-the-point woman....so just do it!! If I can do it you can do it! Start today and please let me know in a month how you feel. lots of luck, warm thoughts and willpower to you!
    • Posted

Hi Sunsetstuff!

Thanks for assurance and positive vibes. Now from today I know what to cut in my diet, thanks to u all !

Stress I cannot reduce, lots of work but will try gym again. Hope to get better soon. Am a veggie, so no issues here smile

Thanks a lot !!

• Posted

You don't mention if you are being treated with Plaquenil. My pain was extreme in my shoulders,neck and back as well. for years before my diagnosis I tried everything. I started on the Plaquenil Aug. 2014 and gradually have seen the constant pain all but disappear it has improved my quality of life tremendously.

Changing my diet was also a big help no artificial anything if I can help it,no sugar stay away from wheat when I can. I have not needed steroids because the Plaquenil has been relieving so much of my inflamation. Trying to "Let go" and not stress out when I can has also been a big help. (Hard if the kids are still at home) but somethings you just can't control so don't make yourself sick over it.

Feel better, good luck

Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.