Skin a complete mess

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 4 months ago I started getting a few itchy spots here and there. Some red and some just raised bumps. Since then things have gone from bad to worse until, in the last week, i have had to take the week off work. I am covered in an assortment of itchy spots, raised lumps, red rash, blisters and, because of scratching, sores. It's spreading and i have even developed some on my face. I am sore and so itchy, my limbs tingle and prick and are swollen and I can't sleep. I am waiting for a dermatologist appointment which can't come too soon. I have tried an assortment of creams and lotions and potions but would welcome any advice. This is going to sound really mean but I am hoping somone else has been through something like this as knowing you're not alone always seems to help, especially if any of you have got better!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My rash wasn't as bad as yours but I got it under control with Fucibet cream and an anti-histamine called Hydroxyzine (25mg a day) which stopped me scratching, both on prescription here in the UK

I hope your appointment comes through soon

xxxxx

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie. I have that cream but I think that the GP isn't sure what to do yet until we know what's going on. I am sure you know that it's the itching that is the worst thing and anyone who hasn't had it can't understand😦x

• Posted

Hi. The itching is all-consuming! And scratching or rubbing doesn't help. When it gets totally unbearable I go to the doc again and get a 5 day course of steroid tablets Prednisolone. The itching stops within 3 hrs of taking these. After the 5 days within 24 hrs the itchy red raised blotches are back and we start all over again. The oral steroids may help you. Good luck x

• Posted

hi Canisp,

thanks for your reply. I think the steroids are starting to kick in. I agree that finding relief for the itching takes over your life. Do you know what causes yours? have you tried cool pads (from boots or other chemist) which you can put in the freezer and use again and again. You can put them on an intensely itchy area and they do bring immediate relief especially good for soles and palms(if you can bear the cold). Hope you are "non-itchy" at the moment

• Posted

Before my itching was under control, I used to sit with my feet in a bowl of cold water, often with an ice pack in it too!

• Posted

Oh I'm itchy alright! Seems to be a different part of the body each day ie. thighs and torso, then lower legs and forearms, head and neck...awful! I ran out of chlorphenamine (Piriton) yesterday and suffered for that slip.

Haven't tried the cool packs but the wealds are not concentrated in one area - just all over! Do you also find that the itching and the trying not to scratch make you grumpy and bad tempered?  Also caused by feeling tired through consumption of 10 antihistamines a day sad 

Hope the steroids bring you the relief they brought me.

• Posted

Hello

So sorry to hear that you are going through this.....no you are not alone.  Are you taking any anti-histamines?  Here in the US there is Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritin. As Lizzie mentioned Hydroxyzine .....I took that at night as it helps the itch and helps to sleep. Natural ways are to drink lots of water and stay away from foods like carbs. Some have recommended checking your blood for low vitamin D....if so add Vit D-3 daily....it has helped and is a new study that was done for Chronic Urticaria sufferes. Doxepin at night is also good...it's actually a anti depression medicine but helps with the hives.  I hope you find relief soon.  Can you see your GP until you see the dermatologist? 

I wish you well!

Wendy

• Posted

Thanks Wendy. Just started some antihistamine but it doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I should actually ask for one that makes me sleepy so I can get some sleep.  Seeing my GP again  tomorrow. Can't function at work  (I work with the public) and am going to have to have a bit of time out. Also I am off to Madeira for a week on Saturday with husband and daughter and really worried it will be a disaster. I will try vitamin D but the doxepin is a no as I  have  been on an antidepressant for years. I am glad to hear that you have found some relief. Thanks for the support Ingrid 

• Posted

Hey Gridders,

In addition to what the other folks have said, you could add quercetin to your regimen.  It helps stabilize the mast cells.  Up to 500 mg daily, maybe with some bromelain and/or vitamin C. (But you're not supposed to take bromelain continuously.)  Hydroxycine is powerful, but made me too sleepy to work.  I'm a fan of vitamin D, if one has a deficiency.  Often goes away with time.  

There are some powerful meds to hold in reserve--in particular, the asthma medication omalizumab (given by injection once a month).  Not sure how safe, but it seems to clear the hives if you end up needing it.

You might also see an allergist (and not just a dermatologist).  Some cases of chronic hives have an allergic cause, though the whole etiology of it is uncertain. ("idiopathic"= docs have no really good idea of the cause!)

• Posted

Gridders, I really feel for you.  I know exactly how you feel and went through the same thing.

While I was waiting for my Derm appt., one of my GPs prescribed Hydroxyzine, she told me that it was an old fashioned anti histamine, which is also sedating.  I ended up taking 25mg at night but I found that I had to take it at 7pm, in order to wake up at a civilised time the following morning!

After taking it for 18 months, I found that it started to cause restless legs.

It made me sleep deeply, so that I didn't scratch during the night.

It was only after I saw the Dermatologist initially and she started me on Prednisolone, that the itching went away.  Then we moved on to the diagnosis and that is another story!

I would imagine that it would be better, from the Dermatologists point of view, if you didn't start steroids prior to your Derm appt..

I would also suggest taking photos if you do start steroids before seeing your Dermatologist, or maybe your GP could ring for advice.  I know the lists are very long.

• Posted

hi mrs Mop. Thanks for the advice. Been to see the GP today and As i have a week abroad planned at the weekend the Dr. has given me some steroids to take to relieve the symptoms. I took your advice and took some lovely "glamorous" skin shots of myself to show the dermatologist! I am a little wary of taking them because of my depression history but frankly the itching is so bad that they seem to be the lesser of 2 evils. What was your diagnosis and are you feeling better now? 
    • Posted

I hope the steroids do the same for you as they did for me, that is, they made the itching stop and that is a wonderful feeling, when you no longer itch.

My diagnosis, is Cicatricial Pemphigoid, which is now known as Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.  It is an autoimmune disease, for which there is no cure.

I was taking steroids for 3 years and they gradually tapered them and I took Methotrexate [MTX] as a steroid sparing drug.  I took it for 18 months but have had to stop taking it for the time being because of the side effects.

I hope you enjoy your week abroad, it will probably do you good!

• Posted

Hi mrsmop, i have to wait until 29th April for my derm appontment so I am emptying out my piggy bank and booking private for earlier. The itching is really getting to me so, despite the side effects, i am taking the steroids. My doctor has the suspicion that I may have bullous pemphigoid which is on the same disease spectrum as yours. I feel for you. Isn't it awful when your body declares war on you. hope your symptoms haven't returned too much since you had to stop the meds. Keep chin upsmile
    • Posted

Make sure you make an appointment with the right Dermatologist.  I went privately once, he took my money and obviously knew nothing about the condition.

I will pm you

• Posted

Hi

I read up on the bullous pemp.....and the other cicatricial pemphi...oh my it sounds horrible. Why? What brings these horrific skin conditions on? I thought the things were contracted while abroad in the African/Asian continents.  Take whatever meds they recommend.

• Posted

Hi Canisp. I have a derm consultation on April 9th (have had to go private as NHS was over a month wait and the condition is keeping me off work)

I just think it is one of the bullous type autoimmune things as all the symptoms fit. At least i'll know what i am dealing with. If it is it's an autoimmune thing and antihistamines don't really help. I am however really tired as i don't sleep because of the itching. Steroids are also supposed to make you grumpy and bad tempered, but i'd rather be grumpy and bad tempered but itch free. You may still find coolpads helpful as if you put them really cold on one area it deflects from the itches in other areas. I am beginning to wonder if autoimmune diseases are hormonal related. I am towards the end of the menopause and would be interested once I get a diagnosis to conduct an online survey.I know waht you mean about the meds, you get to the point where you will just do anything to be itch free

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.