Skin Issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

What kind of skin issues is everyone experiencing? Photosensitivity? Rashes?  Mine are a mixed bag and the most visible evidence of my SS.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't know aboiut you but I keep getting 'contact dermatitis' around the eyes, including the eyelids and have also been experiencing a dermatitis type spot on the neck. Not sure if this is related to the sjogrens or not

• Posted

I am constantly battling to heal or avoid rash around my eyes. They will even swell shut for no apparent reason. I get deep red coloring around the orbits like I am a zombie eek. I use my Restasis and Systane drops and wipes to calm them. No harsh cleaners.

• Posted

I get very itchy on times like I have ants crawling under my skin I scratch like mad, I remember I was up the Doctors one day, I was scratching like mad this woman was watching me in the waiting room, I said it's ok I just fleed my dogs she moved very quickly LOL. It's no laughing matter have you tried baby lotion or Avon sell Skin so Soft that's what I use xxx

• Posted

I use Dove and Eucerin Redness relief. The National (USA) and International Rosecea Foundations have product listings that work for us too. I have even swithced to the Dove deoderant. I have found that I have had a great deal of relief from following their guidelines. I also use a room and bedside humidifier. Both are lifesavers.
  • Posted

Out of nowhere I will start to itch. The first time it happened and it was so intense that I thought I would scream. It started with my arms, then my head and before I knew it, my chest, back and legs all began to itch. Before it was all said and done the palms of my hands itched. I scratched my arms so bad that I had blood marks all up and down my arms and some on my thighs and lower legs. I didn't know what to do so I took Benadryl. I was miserable for a couple more hours but the Benadryl eventually helped  but then it would happen again. For some reason my itching episodes have only happened in the evenings.  I did try some lotions for itchy skin but nothing like that worked. I don't have this happen as much as it did but now I have so many more issues that have developed with my SS. Right now.... itching would be the icing on the cake 😟  

One thing that that has happened over the last year and since I'm new to the forum I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem. It may not be related to sjogrens at all but I'll mention it to see if there's a response to it. I am 61 and last summer I started seeing purple and red bruises pop up all over my forearms. I never really would remember bumping my arms and then all of a sudden there were these bruises. I don't take blood thinners. My B12 numbers were low at one point But they were normal in January of this year but I still have bruises all over my forearms. My RA doctor doesn't say anything. My skin has gotten so thin on my arms that if I scrape my forearm on something or scratch it the skin peels back and bleeds horribly. These take forever to go away. I'm embarrassed to wear something without sleeves. If someone else has this issue I'd love to hear from you. Thanks. 

• Posted

Thinning skin can be both a symptom and a medication side effect. I would strongly encourage you to discuss this with your physicians.
    • Posted

I experience the same things! My kids get annoyed with me for itching. It's hard to stop. My doctor never explained anything to me when I was diagnosed in 2002 along with my fibro which 55% of Sjogrens have. Also explains a lifetime of tooth decay! Susan

• Posted

I have photosensitivity. I Carry overglasses with me, keep a pair in the car. Just go over my usual specs with no need to get prescription glasses. And very reasonable. They have sides to them, helping keep wind out so helping against drying. I get a nettle rash in the sun so now stay covered up. My rheumatologist's advice is to use high SPF products. I have dry nails too.

• Posted

Severe photosensitivity was one of my first symptoms. I have had it so badly that I ended up with vasculitis. I love to swim so I have "the gear".

I wear hats, sunglasses, high SPF and protective swim wear. I go through a process called "hardening" each spring to gradually increase my exposure time. That helps.

Do you get a rash or hives? I have had them all.

• Posted

I think you are in the USA? Hives isn't something we regularly mention in the UK. I know about it from watching TV programmes made in the US. I always got an itchy rash especially on my upper chest, from the sun. In the UK it tends to be referred to as nettle rash. I now have sweat rashes under my bosom and have become allergic to the man made fibres in bras. Trying to find one made with a very high percentage of cotton, is challenging. It's easier at my age (74), to revert to my hippy state of the 50''s and 60's and not wear one. Our weather in the NW of UK doesn't warrant protective swimwear and we stay away from beaches. A big sun hat does come out when needed. My eyes suffer from blepharitis and blocked melbomium glands. I just have learned how to self-medicate over time. But if I fail to follow my daily morning and evening eye cleansing routine, I soon suffer. Once I had the SS diagnosis about seven years ago, all sorts of auto immune problems I suffer from fell into place as in a jigsaw. Non sufferers don't understand what a relief that can be. And it makes me mad that in the years gone by, the optician and the dentist never gave it a thought. Surely my gritty eyes and rotten teeth should have given a clue? Rant over. Unfortunately, using an android tablet for most of my surfing on the web doesn't work well on this website and I just get one great big long sentence to scan for typos. So forgive any you find.

• Posted

No typos biggrin. I am not the best typist so I often have them. I follow my cleansing routine also or my eyes stick shut. Is that blepharitis? What are the melbomium glands?

• Posted

Hello again. I belong to the British Sjorgrens Syndrome Association. (BSSA). Very supportive and there's a similar one in the US. This website is very good in the symptom checker section. https://patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet explains the different types, including about the melbomium glands. When they don't function properly it's known as MGB for short. I bought an eyebag which I heat up in the microwave and lie down and put it on my eyes until it cools and then massage the lids. I wake up regularly in the night (dry mouth) and sometimes my eyes are painful and I keep Hyloforte by the bedside. I can put the drops from the pump action into my eyes, without even turning on the light! I could never "read to get back to sleep" as urged in the past, as eyes hurt. I now know why. We suffer from a chronic non-life threatening disease. Self-help is all you can do for something which is life limiting so often. Hope this helps 🙂

P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.