Skin overheats and feels prickly, please advise what might be so can tell doctor and how is it treat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, a few days ago, well, on the 9th, my Consultant took my blood pressure and found it to be 200 over 120 but what I'm experiencing since is unlikely to be that as several different sources have told me that one is not aware of high blood pressure at all.

Let me explain.  My skin particularly all up and down my arms, back chest and face, starts to feel regularly extremely hot and prickly and tight, and I have no idea what it is, assumed it was high blood pressure till I received the advice I mentioned earlier, that it isn't noticeable, and I am very worried as it is so extreme I am having to have a 12" fan on full and a window wide open and go about in a tee shirt, well, all day and night long, rarely shutting the fan off or the window, and this is nigh on Christmas time, it is weird!!  And I'm very worried.  I am not going through the menopause as I'm 57 now but when I was and for a long time before i\ think, I always needed to drastically underdress and as a youngster laugh at old people over done up in great big coats in barely inclement weather, maybe its just desserts?!  No, seriously I am concerned so can anyone tell me what it might be and what to say to my GP so he can hopefully treat it?

Thanks, Fiona

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I really would appreciate some feedback on this folks as it's got me beat.

• Posted

Sometimes those feelings in the Menopause take a long time to settle down. Even ladies in their 70s can still have hot flushes etc.  Make sure you only wear cotton next to your skin. No wool,viscose or artificial fabrics and wear thin layers. No you dont experience anything specific with high blood pressure but it can lead to a stroke so I'm assuming you are on some sort of medication for your BP.   Could it be side effects of any medication?  Also are you taking HRT? That can sometimes give you menopause "hot" symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Marina, thanks for your response.  Yes that's exactly what the nurse said to me about the menopause so similar feelings there.  I'm not on HRT and never have been so I can rule that out fortunately.  Currently they are monitoring my blood pressure every two weeks, but say to come in sooner if I am worried.  I'm born and bred in lycra leggings and control pants and need them as can't wear jeans, too tight being a large lady and look positiely awful but I am happy with the "uniform" I have chosen for myself.  Usually it happens the hotness when Im in my nightie which is cotton, but generally I find cotton makes me feel too hot and lycra cools me down considerably, I think its what suits you there, sorry got to dash now, to watch the evening news, hopefully not too stressful!!  Best wishes.

• Posted

As you have never been on HRT I would have suggested that it may be helpful in your case but as you are overweight and also have this high blood pressure I'm sure your doctor would refuse to give it to you.  You would benefit greatly from losing weight as this would help the feeling of being so hot and it would also help that blood pressure.   Sorry I cant be more helpful.

• Posted

No that's helpful enough Marina, I am starting a  "diet diary" in the New Year and starting to have things like stirfry and italian bean casserole, all veg and pulses sort of thing and tomatoey stuff, and guess what happened in the run up to Christmas when I was entertaining so having lots of rich buffet food and my exercise plan had gone out the window, I actually lost 7lb and my BMI came down 1, so I was well chuffed.  I'm hoping to lose far more in the new year when Xmas won't be there to tempt me!! Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.