skipped heartbeats, please can I have some help :(

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi I'm an 18 year old male, yesterday I suffered what felt like a series of skipped heartbeats followed by a rapid pulse. I ended up calling an ambulance, the paramedic took me to A&E and they caught quite a few 'ectopic beats'. they tested my blood and gave me a chest xray and they said that everything was alright. I went home, and I continued to have them on and off. I eneded up going back to hospital and they did same thing, ecg and bloods then sent me home. they just told me that i'm seeing a cardiologist soon and having an ultrasound of my heart. How am I meant to live like this?? they feel horrible, my whole body jolts when I have them and they give me a horrible feeling that makes me cough. I can't do anything, can't relax or do any basic daily things. I'm so worried these are going to ruin my life or even worse; kill me. I have had 3 whilst typing this up. After every ectopic I feel I'm convinced that my heart is going to stop. 

I'm going crazy, what caused them? I hardly ever drink, don't consume any caffeine, don't smoke and I have a healthy diet accompanied by plenty of exercise. 

I have lost 3 stone intentionally, I don't know if this is related?

Additional info: I'm on 1.25mg of bisoprolol because i used to get a rapid pulse, but I never used to get irregular hearybeats. 

Someone please talk to me, I can't even think straight, I'm just worried about the next ectopic beat sad 

p.s. are there any dietry triggers? apart from caffeine? i.e. chocolate or sugary things? 

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. It is pretty tough to live with, but they do come and go. Some days I get lots, other days hardly at all. Ectopics are very normal though. Most people get them... The lucky ones don't notice them. When you felt the rapid pulse, it could have been SVT. This is a benign rhythm that only occurs after an ectopic. Have you had that before? 

You said you've lost quite a bit of weight (well done by the way). Have you increased your exercise? 

An ultrasound is a good idea as it will rule out any structural issues. Try not to worry though easier said than done). They will subside. I find a walk around the block can help. 

Avoid coffee, tea (even decaf has caffiene). Avoid dark chocolate and very sugary things too. But remember to have a life! Feel free to ask me any questions. I have had heart problems for about 6 years now so I've experienced most thumps and bumps. Sarah 

• Posted

thank you for your reply, I don't know whether the rapid pulse was me woring myself up or if it was SVT, I haven't increased my exercise levels that much. 

I don't understand how they are normal though rolleyes because it feels like my heart is stopping. I've put my hand on my chest and actually felt my heart stop like 3 times in a row. it's making me so anxious, I don't get upset easily but it's actually making me want to cry. I'm having them like every 30 seconds right now. I don't know what to do sad

• Posted

Getting worked up will make them worse. So please try to relax. Do something I try and take your mind off them. The pause you feel is totally normal. What happens is that there is an extra beat in the heart which throws the normal rhythm out. The pause is the heart compensating for the extra beat. For example... Imagine an empty plastic bottle underwater... It fills up... Then if you squeeze it the ether comes out and then once you stop squeezing it the bottle begins to fill again. If you squeeze it again the same happens... But if you squeeze it and then squeeze it again before it fills it takes longer to fill again. That's the pause. Your heart won't stop. I promise! Try and sit in a different position. Keep hydrated and they will probably go. The worrying will not be helping. I know from experience.
    • Posted

Thank you again for the reply Sarah, my main worry is that it'll pause for too long and that I'll collapse or something. I read somewhere that PVC's can lead to VF wich is a dangerous rythm, I'm just scared of this. I hate to be dramatic but it's only been a day since I've had them properly, and my life is already changing. I find it difficult to do the simplest of things because I'm scared it'll aggrivate them
    • Posted

Stop googling it......I've spent years convincing myself I have every heart condition known. It will make you worse. 

• Posted

That's a very familiar feeling but how you cope with this is in your control. You can't control you heart, only how it affects you. Don't give yourself a hard time. You are understandably worried. To go from a PVC to VF is very rare. Only if you have structural problems which an ECG usually picks up. Almost half the population get PVCs and they are only the half that go to the doctors! VF can happen to anyone, like cancer or being hit by a bus. Don't ruin your life worrying about stuff that's out of your control. It doesn't help you. I bet they will be gone tomorrow.
    • Posted

I'll try not to, everything I find on google makes me feel worse anyway 
    • Posted

Thank you Sarah, that knocked some sense into me. I've had plenty of ECG's and all they picked up was an irregular rythm and a few ectopic beats. The doctor said it wasn't life threatening because I wasn't having any pain or dizziness

I really hope so 

• Posted

Hey donna i know its an old post but im having skipped beats as well im really scared and i know dr google all to well any way you can tell me if they are dangerous and what symptoms yiu had with being scared of a heart condition
    • Posted

This is nothing against the OP but I disagree with "Most people get them and can't feel them".

This is lies. The people writing these papers/reports have never experienced the ectopics we feel. There is no way on this planet someone could have a PAC or PVC that I have and not feel them. Impossible. That hard thump in your chest, or that very noticeable pause that you feel can not be ignored. I don't care how strong a person claims to be you physically can not ignore them.

When a doctor says this they are just trying to make you feel better. They are harmless though.

I'm sorry if I had to point this it put because I see the same thing mentioned everywhere. I think it's misinformation that everyone has these. Granted, they might have skipped beats but they don't have PACs/PVCs/PJCs ... they are impossible not to feel. I've had over 12 years experience with them and still counting.

• Posted

Hello John, I have been suffering from PVCs off and on from last 5 years.My first bout of PVCs lasted for 6 months.Occasionally I also used to have bursts of tachycardia with a normal sinus rhythm. But tachycardia never crossed 150 bpm so it cannot be labelled as svt. Initially I was very anxious and frustrated with this continuos flutter in the chest. The PVCs vanished all of a suddenly and returned after 3 years. What I could understand all these years about PVCs is - 1) If your tests i.e EKG, echo, stress echo, blood counts, electrolytes, vitamin d ,etc are normal, there is nothing much to worry about other than the nuisance they create 2) If have not suffered from any more fatal arrythmias i.e AFib, VT,etc, there is nothing to worry about 3) If you also suffered from NSVT, couplets, triplets, the only worry is that you may pass out or loose consciousness at any time and this may affect your quality of life.Generally if you have a structurally normal heart, even fatal arrythmias don't sustain for a long time. But in these cases you can go for other treatment options like ablation. 3) If your PVC burden is more than 10% of the total number of beats , then there is some evidence that it may make your heart weak over a period of time.In such case regular follow up is required and if dilated cardio myopathy is diagnosed over a period of time, it's better to start treatment with beta blockers or go for catheter ablation 4) Usually, the PVCs are also a symptom of other medical conditions like thyroid Imbalance and other hormonal imbalances.Please get these things checked. 5) PVCs are also caused by anxiety disorder.Anxiety or depression is usually embedded at subconscious level.You may be anxious or depressed even without consciously knowing it. So try to resolve if you have any repressed anger, fear or any other extreme emotions as PVCs or other irregular rythms may be a manifestation of extreme emotions. 6) Maintain a healthy lifestyle- PVCs may be a warning to some people that something is not right with your lifestyle - Control and resolve stress, ensure to get sufficient rest and sleep, get your cholesterol/ TG level under control, avoid smoking and alcohol, avoid extreme emotions, regular prayer will be very helpful, regular exercise or even regular walks can be helpful as they boost your confidence level that your heart is capable of enduring physical strain. 7) And lastly accept that death is inevitable. And there is no point in worrying about anything which is beyond your control. . .I understand that it is difficult to ignore PVCs, but if you follow the above and focus on something else, you will definitely feel better.And in majority of cases PVCs will subside within 6 months.

• Posted

Hi James,

Sorry it's a bit of a late response, but I absolutely concur with your thoughts; there is no way on Earth you can miss these things. I don't know about you, but when I have a run of them, not only do I feel the thumps but also a very unpleasant warm sensation in my chest, and the pulse between ectopic is very erratic. It will be a miracle when an electrophysiologist comes along who suffers similar symptoms. Don't get me wrong, most of them are very good and as understanding as somebody who's never experienced it can be, but there's nothing quite like being in the body that's going through it.

Bisoprolol, Flecainide and Sertraline has been the best cocktail I've come across so far. I absolutely despise taking these drugs but 4 years of suffering on and off has taught me to slowly accept it.

An interesting little nuance I've noticed with mine that I've not seen mentioned online is how my condition reacts to viral infections - notably that when I'm infected and my immune system is occupied, all my cardiac symptoms disappear completely. I've tried to criticise this theory by explaining it away as suppressed ectopics due to the higher heart rate experienced while ill, but the criticism doesn't hold up; the ectopics and irregular rhythm disappear a couple of days before the illness sets in, continue to remain dormant during the illness, and only reappear when my immune system has finished its work. Interestingly, I know when I'm getting better because the ectopics and irregular rhythm creep back in again. The most notable illnesses are the common ones like cold/flu/throat infections etc. Not sure if this offers a clue to the origin of our issues, but I've mentioned it in case it helps anybody else notice a correlation.

I wish you and everybody else who suffers with this affliction the very best. Live life to the fullest on your good days, and remember the good days will come again when you're having a bad few days. Perhaps one day we will get some real answers.

Regards, Jack

• Posted

I have ectopic beats every day......when I was about 17 I had svt......heart rate went up to 250 bpm. That's controlled but now I have ectopic beats. Sometimes every half a minute or so. It's easy to worry but I have been told 'live with them'. Sometimes they are particularly troublesome and sometimes they aren't present. I know how you are feeling. Please try not to worry. I don't have caffeine at all and still get them. I find I get more after a big meal, or if I lie in a certain position. 

I do kind of put up with them now.....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Donna, did you go to hospital? I find it difficult to take it in when people say oh 'they're normal' and 'ignore them' I can't ignore such a powerful sensation. Do you have any tips on how to cope with them? 
    • Posted

I've been to hospital loads of times. I've only just accepted they may always be here. Try not to focus on them. I find shifting position sometimes helps, coughing sometimes calms them down. I was told exercise can help to reduce them. It's not your heart stopping..it's just being a little erratic. Worrying = adrenalin = more ectopics.......

• Posted

I've had a few while I've been writing these.......

Sometimes mine come together like a drum roll, hearts are funny things. 

Donna

• Posted

I'm guessing there's no treatment for them? like a certain medication or anything? 

I'm really scared because I've never had them like this before, I used to have like one once a month. but for some reason since yesterday they're non-stop.

I'll try doing some light exercise soon, thank you again for your reply donna. It helps talking with someone who's experiencing the same thing 

• Posted

I take bisoprolol for mine. 5mg a day, but still get them. However they are less noticeable. I'd go and see your GP and get referred to a cardiologist. There are other medications that may help. 
    • Posted

It won't hurt to see your gp. There may be other medication. I take verapamil but this is for the svt. Obviously no effect on ectopics. Take care and keep us posted. We always here.....ectopics too.....lol
    • Posted

I might ask my GP for a stronger dose of bisoprolol just in case, I'm already going to see a cardiologist but the date hasn't be set yet. It's very reassuring knowing that there are other people out there with the same thing. 

• Posted

I'll discuss everything with him, I hope he takes me seriously. Doctors never take me seriously for some reason. I will, and thank you again for your replies, you've calmed me down a lot! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.