sleep gone when startled

Posted , 3 users are following.

if I get startled while falling asleep (only at that point - not being woken up from deep sleep), that's it for the night whether the time is 2 am or 6 am. Last night I went to the bathroom around 3, went back to bed, falling asleep and the cat jumped on my legs. I get incredibly startled and there is NO way I can go back to sleep for the rest of the night. Like I said this only happens when the startling incident happens at a very specific stage of falling asleep. Extremely annoying. There is no reason for such a degree of anxiety yet there it is

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there , i have a very similar problem re any noise etc BUT i am only sleeping 1 or 2 hours a WEEK , so unable to almost anything re complete exhaustion , i never get sleepy at just extremely tired and exhausted , i am on a diazepam taper currently on 6 mg , there is no help , a large dose of different types of antihistamines give me the odd hour every few days - but nothing works twice .

Previously i slept 15 to 20 hours a week , now that has all gone .

• Posted

Hello Fred

Talk to your GP it may be possible to arrange an appointment with a Sleep Clinic

BOB

• Posted

Hi bob

ive been to my gp several times - she said she has made an urgent referral to a sleep clinic but that was 9 weeks ago now and i still have not heard anything , so i phoned the hospital they said its the appointment has been moved/canceled to see a neurologist on a wating list so i dont know what is happening or when

• Posted

Yes all is a real problem fred the appointment system is dire for treatment thes days.

I was waiting to have some dental treatment at hospital and they lost my referral, after ten weeks I contacted the Dentist and She wrote again it is now fourteen weeks and I had my initial appointment today. I will be Christmas before I have my operation. So we all wait which is not very good.

All I can suggest is wait and see what happens, we all all in the lap of the Gods

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.