Sleep meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, all,

I'm wondering if a lot of you take sleep meds.  I can't sleep without them, and am on ambien ER, which is scary powerful.  I plan to start a tapering program, which I've done before.  But I know for those of us who have a sleep disorder, it's not only insomnia that's an issue, but the level of sleep we attain.  I don't get much REM sleep without meds, which of course contributes to the fatigue.

Some of you say you sleep for many hours, which is only a dream for me at this stage.

I've seen someone post, asking if these various protocols...Gupta, etc, worked and made it possible to eliminate meds.  Not sure what anyone's experience is in that area as well.

Thanks,

Nan

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The problem with any sleep med long-term, is it usually loses efficacy, and you have to take more and more to get the same effect. I finally gave up on Ativan for this reason. Tapering off Ativan (in the same category of drugs as Ambien) was the most horrific experience I've ever had. But I had one very unexpected result: the extreme anxiety I'd been experiencing went to negligible levels. In other words, the Ativan had been responsible for most of my anxiety. So I've decided that, all in all, no sleep meds are better for me than sleep meds. I realize this decision is not for everyone. It means that I have many nights with very little sleep.
    • Posted

Thanks, Jackie-

Very breve of you to get off the Ativan.  Withdrawal symptoms can be awful,a d docs don't offer much help in that arena, I've found.

Yes, the ambien is losing efficacy.  Still taking 1 plus hours to get to sleep, and now have reflux which can be one of the side effects.

How are the treatments going with dr. Chia?  Any improvement?

I'm a basket case when I don't sleep, which is why I keep trying the meds.

interesting about the anxiety.  I do feel more anxious being on the meds then off.

• Posted

No, I don't take sleeps meds.  There are a couple of reasons why I don't.  The first is that I take so many meds already that adding any more makes me nervous.  The second is that since I don't work anymore I don't worry about not sleeping.  I get insomnia all the time.  When that happens, I just stay up until I fall asleep.  I do try to maintain a regular sleep schedule, but at least once a week I can't sleep.  I've learned not to let it worry me and sleep when my body is ready.

If you haven't had oe already, I would suggest a sleep study.  It can tell you what is causing your sleep problem.  For me, I didn't get into Stage 4 sleep at all (which is very common for ME/CFS sufferers).  I now have a C-Pap and I now get Stage 4 sleep.  It did help with the fatigue and brain fog.  Still, for me, fatigue is a serious problem.

I wish you well.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi there,

excuse my ignorance but what is C-Pap?

I am always on the outlook to find something that will help me sleep a little, or a lot, better!

thanks

• Posted

Thanks, ravenwood.

i did a sleep study.  No sleep apnea, restless legs, and while I know I don't go into stage 4, not sure if the study showed that.  

Very helpful about the cpap machine.  Excellent that it helps you. My ex boyfriend kept suggesting it.  Being overweight means it would probably help me even more.

appreciate the reply.

• Posted

Hi Nan,  My husband (Garry) was diagnosed with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia in 1989, but I'm sure he had it long before his diagnosis.  He was completely exhausted and very weak, but still had problems sleeping due to his severe physical pain and problems, along with anxiety problems.  He would even shake while trying to get to sleep, and sometimes even shook while he was sleeping, and even had some convulsions and seizure like episodes.  It wasn't until 1996 when he went into very severe congestive heart failure and almost got a heart transplant, that he was finally put on sleep medications that actually helped him get the much needed rest that he was so desperate for.  They had him on Ativan (Lorazapam) to help with the anxiety problems, and also Trazadone (which can both help with sleeping).  It took both medications to help him sleep along with a muscle relaxant (Flexoril) and also Morphine because his Fibromyalgia was so so bad, that he'd be in tears without it due to the severe pain.  It's true that some of these medications can be addictive, but if you really need the medicine, and aren't taking it for the wrong reasons, it's okay.  We've had nurses and doctors tell us that if he's in pain and actually needs the Morphine to make it bearable, then it's not addiction.  So if you're careful and take the same amount (each night) of a sleep medication such as Trazadone and/or Ativan, it should be fine, and will help you to get the rest and sleep you need.  Don't feel bad if you need both medications or more than one, because once you find the correct combination and balance, it can really help greatly.
    • Posted

Thanks, Sandy.  What a road for you and your husband.  He's fortunate that you have stayed by his side thru all this.

i appreciate the support for taking the meds.  I hold the same view, but when the side effects or efficacy become a problem, then it's trickier.

thanks again.

• Posted

I use seroquel 100 mg and Zoplicone 7.5 mg nightly.  These are so powerful they take a couple of hours to wear off the next day, but it allows me to get the rest I so desperately need.  I don't see that happening without meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.